Mugged, but unharmed.

May 29, 2006
Not sure, but I think the cops made an arrest today. Not that I expect to get the phone back. These guys were out all night apparently. The moto had a plate on it that I couldn't read in time. Maybe someone else saw it.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
What area do you live in??!!

Glad you are a decent guy Peter and tried to help and glad you didn't get hurt!! I can't imagine just sitting there are not trying to help a woman who is getting robbed...you did the right thing IMO!

Actually any particular area has had nothing to do with this, we've lived in various places in POP as well as in SDQ. I may have put it slightly strongly, but the point is just to pay proper attention to your surroundings, and the fact that the delinquentes can move fast, and most likely don't mind to kill you for 100 pesos worth of property, as they have nothing to lose...

I can understand you on your second point, but again, I disagree on this point. I believe there's much less an expat can do in issues between Dominicans than a Dominican, much less on non-usual hours on the street and on motoconcho.

If it was my home country we were talking about, my opinion would obviously be the contrary, as I was raised to help anyone in need anywhere. Unfortunately things from 1st world countries are not always fully valid in 3rd world countries... Just IMO.

Sorry folks. This is not America... anybody who robs a defenceless female would kill a foreigner without thinking twice. Stay away it's not worth your time or effort. They don't value their own lives why should you?*

You think America is any better????!!!

It is worth my time to help people! I'm not scared of the punks here. Dominicana's now that is another story!

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
mugged, but unharmed

dia de reyes wife and I were going to visit friends. It's a beautiful afternoon around 6 pm in SD.

As we are approaching the building, a well dressed Chinese man gets out of he lobby

and goes to his car parked on the side of the building.

A motorconcha comes out of nowhere, they go at the Chinese man to rob him,

he runs away.

They drive away, and come back from the other side of the block to encircle him again.

He runs into another building.*

From a distance, gun shots go off.

The robbers get scared and drive away.

Another day in "Paradise".

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Even if you are armed with a gun, don't step in if it's not your problem. Even if they kill a Dominican woman or a child in front of you and you are armed, if you shot the criminal, you will go to jail and/or pay a lot of money to his family. So if it's not your problem, just don't pay attention to that. They deserve the life they live and we are here to enjoy our life, not to get in trouble. If your life or the life of your family or your property is in danger, then kill the fcking animals if you are armed, but if it's between them, just remember that their life doesn't cost a penny anyway.

SDDR: I am trying to understand your mentality? You live in the country as bad as it is, yet you are completely removed from being acting what is considered to be a norm for societies around the world. If you see someone in trouble, help. Not saying that the way it was handled was the best course of action, to say turn and go the other way when a woman is screaming is pretty sad. I was born in the DR, but will not ever and I mean ever live there for the same reasons that most responses to the post suggest. Why is a Dominican life worth less than a penny? I get ****ed when I see an atrocity in Bangladesh or any contry. Its called compassion and caring about what goes on in your community. I know about the lock up at sundown and don't open until daylight. Sound like you all are in minimum security prison. No way I live like that and tried for 20 years to convince my mom to leave the sh*t hole country. Having said that, if I was a member of the community, I would get involved. Yes, I would be armed and would have shot the SOB's then just pay my way out of jail or called one of the military bigwig in the family. But I choose not to be in that environment. He should have started yelling "robo, robo" or something like that since he was not armed.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
You think America is any better????!!!

It is worth my time to help people! I'm not scared of the punks here. Dominicana's now that is another story!

Way to go Harley. This is the reason the punks go around with impunity because they know the community is not going to anything. In a lot of countries, when someone is screaming outside, everyone comes out with broom sticks, bats, etc to help. If you don't take steps to make your environment safe, who will?

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I say kuddos to Peter.
The more people step in, hopefuly the more criminals think twice before committing a crime/mugging.
So OK, if u are away from home dont intervene.
But in front of ur own homes ??? Lool......
Even when its drunks fighting I'll go out and tell them to fukc off and kill each other elsewhere...... and yes of course, precautions are needed, i just dont go running out ( they might be luring you out , who knows ), and yes i do take something potentially more lethal than a cell phone ( like 2 rotties and a gun ).

On another note its so typical. People complain of the "climate of violence and lack of help ", but contribuate to it by doing nothing.
Its common sense, if thieves/robbers/criminals know they are risking their lifes, or at the least a good beaten, they will go and do their evil deeds elsewhere. Places where people close their eyes and cover their ears while people are mugged/murdered in front of their closed gates.*:disappoin:disappoin:disappoin

More expats like you would make the country bearable, kudos to you. I would have no problem killing a criminal. Heck, I would sleep better at night! Most of my family and friends there pack heat when they are out and about. The only pitfall with taking action is that oftentimes, late at night, the criminals are the police and it would get messy for you.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Getting involved / intervening in street violence while certainly noble is not healthy or wise. Tangling with drug/alcohol fueled street thugs who have absolutely nothing to lose and probably have a better support network than most do, is a recipes for an uncomfortable existence here. Steer clear and don't let Fausto the Moto guy carry your grocery's into your casa particular