My dog might have eat rat poison - help

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I gived him a lot of milk in last 2 days, i finally found a pharmacy today that wasnt closed and had injection of vitamin K

I cant find any information online where to do it and how much to give him.

Hes a goldon retriever - 8 months

He looks good still, still the same dog as usual. He puked once after i gived him a lot of milk.

Dv8 any idea for the dose ?

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
And Cris... I just hateeee cats but yeah im thinking about it lol.

The poison that was put around my house takes 1-3 days to kill the rats. Its some blue cube put by an "exterminator"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jeanchris, you can find dose advice here:
Vitamin K1 (Phytonadione, Mephyton) in Dogs, Cats and Other Pets
AmTech Vitamin K1 Injection for Animal Use - Drugs.com
https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/clinpath/modules/coags/vitkant.htm

it is important that you deliver the dose subcutaneously, lift the skin on the shoulder or butt and inject just under the skin. i would, however, check with the vet tomorrow. if you are in POP then brugal-paiewonsky, next door to ceducom, has a lab and does immediate test for poison to be able to tell you how to treat your dog.

some rat poisons act slowly.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I wanted to go to the vet today but they where all close... Obviously this had to happen on a weekend!

You think its better if i just wait until tom and i go see my vet in the morning ?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I thought the dog was acting as normal?
If this is the case then why are you doing anything, if he was poisoned then you would have noticed by now. He'd be dehydrated, panting like crazy and reluctant to get up, at the very least.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I dont know, i have never dealed with poisoned dogs, i dont know what are the reactions - how much time it takes.

The exterminstor told me it would take 1-3 days before killing a rat. So with a dog that is 100x the size of a rat, wouldnt that take some times before theres some effect ????

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I dont know, i have never dealed with poisoned dogs, i dont know what are the reactions - how much time it takes.

The exterminstor told me it would take 1-3 days before killing a rat. So with a dog that is 100x the size of a rat, wouldnt that take some times before theres some effect ????

You would see some reaction. Rats die from internal bleeding, then organ failure, it is prolonged but prolonged means extended period. They don't just drop down dead all of a sudden, they become I'll fast and die slow, you would know if the dog was poisoned by now, his organs would be effected and he would be at least very unwell. Certainly not normal.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I wanted to go to the vet today but they where all close... Obviously this had to happen on a weekend!
You think its better if i just wait until tom and i go see my vet in the morning ?

wait and see the vet. it's good to have vitamin k ready, just in case. but consult with the vet first. even with slow acting poison you'd see some change in the dog.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Rat poison is a blood thinner so the rats bleed to death the K shot clots blood....give the shot..it can't hurt and you cannot
see internal bleeding, keep the dog calm, inactive so it won't get a bruise or cut...if it drinks a lot that is not good...if the
blood is thinning the stool will look green...keep the dog warm also (thin blood makes you feel cold) My best friend had a
golden that ate rat poison, it took 2 1/2 days before symptoms appeared..fortunate the vet was open and they did the
charcoal thing to make the dog throw up but it was a long recooperation....The shot is necessary and can't hurt but only help
see the vet in the morning! Good Luck...you and your dog our in our prayers...and yes, get a cat! You may not like cats but
they like rats!

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
one more symptom to look for..check the dogs gums around the canine teeth if it is pale pink or lighter the blood is thinning.....don't let your dog eat any bones that could cause a cut. Good Luck

Almost every time our pets are sick it is a weekend, Holiday or after 5pm!
One of our Rottie's has a bad infection that we noticed today, so off to Dr Bob we will go tomorrow! If we move again I will make sure we live NEXT to a vet, we go A LOT!!!!!

I hope your Golden is ok! My fav dog ever Rocky, was a Golden so I have a huge soft spot for them :)
Do you live on the NC??

Sep 4, 2012
Almost every time our pets are sick it is a weekend, Holiday or after 5pm!
One of our Rottie's has a bad infection that we noticed today, so off to Dr Bob we will go tomorrow! If we move again I will make sure we live NEXT to a vet, we go A LOT!!!!!

LOL you and I......same type of luck.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Well i didnt know. All the place i know where close, and i tryed to call several vets number and no one wad answering.

I gived him the Vitamin K shots and im going to the vet tom morning... Hopefully everything is ok...

Last edited:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You are joking, there are several vets open 7 days till 8pm here in santo domingo, several will also come out on call, for a price.

Exactly. All this time I thought OP lived somewhere outside SD. Depending on where you live you can call Clinica Arroyo Hondo, or Dr. Pi?eiro. Both have "ambulance" service 24/7