My teeth, my dental journey... (Photos & Video)

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
They have pull down flat screens screens as well :)

Yep, a drill spinning at 5,000 rpm is no fun in your mouth!

Have you ever had one of those panoramic exrays taken? They can really see an accurate image of the positioning of your bite and jaw alignment that way. Not to mention to screen for oral cancer too. I had one taken last year and it was cool and really beats having individual exrays taken while biting on one of those slides that no matter how they position it always scrapes up my mouth.... LOL

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Have you ever had one of those panoramic exrays taken? They can really see an accurate image of the positioning of your bite and jaw alignment that way. Not to mention to screen for oral cancer too. I had one taken last year and it was cool and really beats having individual exrays taken while biting on one of those slides that no matter how they position it always scrapes up my mouth.... LOL

Yes. I had a full 3D map taken of my entire mouth, jaw, bone structure, skull etc.
They have some pretty cool equipment at Dental Cibao Spa.

Dr. Miguel Asenjo is the main guy in this country for bioesthetic dentistry.
He has done a lot of work and teaching in Brazil and Colombia.

In case you're not sure what bioesthetic dentistry is all about.

Precise analysis of the jaw, teeth, bite, chewing action and muscle system help diagnose any problems.
Bioesthetic treatment restores the ideal alignment and function, according to a naturally perfect biological model, which repairs your teeth for life. Symmetry is restored in the face muscles, creating a relaxed and youthful appearance. People that suffer from headache, jaw, face, and even severe eye pain can often have this eliminated with Bioesthetic Dentistry.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, will you be getting implants or will the dentist use all of your existing teeth?

The best option is to always use your own teeth, implants, crowns etc are a last resort.
But these days, I have no idea what teeth are mine and what are crowns etc. hehehe

My case isn't as simple as implants, crowns etc.

Unfortunately for me, previous so called experts, never really took into account the proper alignement of my jaw and bite when either fitting crowns, veneers etc. This meant they would eventually destroy themselves or cause other problems in the future.

I never had a reference bite, something that could be used to work from.
It's like building a wall and not having a level. First you need to establish a level, then build from that.

The dentists at Dental Cibao Spa basically refused to work on me, unless I resolved the bite and alignment issues.
They didn't want me coming back in the future with the same problems.
So right now we are working on creating a new bite and alignment.

At the end of the day it will be a total reconstruction, which will include lots of new teeth.
In some cases they will need to remodel the existing "real" teeth.

Fortunately these days with technology like CEREC, you can make perfect fitting teeth that
look very natural and just as strong.

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
What it costs me, will not be the same as the next person, as they have different needs, problems, treatments required etc.

But...

An initial consultation costs US$50

Robert, I understand that costs would be different for each person, but could you still give some more info about price level, may be cost of full or partial reconstruction of a single tooth or some another example.

May 12, 2005
The best option is to always use your own teeth, implants, crowns etc are a last resort.
But these days, I have no idea what teeth are mine and what are crowns etc. hehehe

My case isn't as simple as implants, crowns etc.

Unfortunately for me, previous so called experts, never really took into account the proper alignement of my jaw and bite when either fitting crowns, veneers etc. This meant they would eventually destroy themselves or cause other problems in the future.

I never had a reference bite, something that could be used to work from.
It's like building a wall and not having a level. First you need to establish a level, then build from that.

The dentists at Dental Cibao Spa basically refused to work on me, unless I resolved the bite and alignment issues.
They didn't want me coming back in the future with the same problems.
So right now we are working on creating a new bite and alignment.

At the end of the day it will be a total reconstruction, which will include lots of new teeth.
In some cases they will need to remodel the existing "real" teeth.

Fortunately these days with technology like CEREC, you can make perfect fitting teeth that
look very natural and just as strong.

Will you have to wear braces or a retainer as part of the process or no?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Will you have to wear braces or a retainer as part of the process or no?

Nope. They are not trying to straighten my existing teeth. They can't, it's impossible.

They are creating me a completely new set of exterior and posterior teeth, by replacing some I have now, reworking others and giving me new ones.

I'm what you would class as an "Extreme Makeover" :D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, I understand that costs would be different for each person, but could you still give some more info about price level, may be cost of full or partial reconstruction of a single tooth or some another example.

It's impossible for me to give a price, I'm not a dentist and I have no idea about your case.
It's like ringing a mechanic and saying, my car is broken, how much will it cost to fix?

But...

An implant will cost you around US$900-950 and it's guaranteed for life.
As far as I'm aware, the implants they use are custom made in the USA, based on the 3D maps they
make of your mouth, bone structure etc. They are small and minimally invasive, meaning no sutures.
It's the very latest technology, this is why they have to have them custom made in the USA.

It's like this...

If you're looking to save money compared to a regular high street dentist in New York or Miami.
Then Dental Cibao Spa in Santiago may not be your best option. They are a very high end clinic,
that will put many to shame in the USA, Europe etc. I know, I have been in a bunch of them.

But...

If your looking for a more economical alternative to a very high end quality clinic in the USA or Europe,
then absolutely talk to them. You will be very impressed!

One last thing on the price points...

Dental Cibao also have clinics in Moca, La Vega and SFM.
These clinics take insurance, are very good and I have recommended lots of friends and DR1 posters to use them.

They are not the same concept or use the same super high materials as Dental Cibao Spa in Santiago, but they are still an excellent alternative and very comparable to a good clinic in the USA, Europe etc.
Before they opened their place in Santiago, I used their clinic in Moca a bunch of times.

May 12, 2005
Nope. They are not trying to straighten my existing teeth. They can't, it's impossible.

They are creating me a completely new set of exterior and posterior teeth, by replacing some I have now, reworking others and giving me new ones.

I'm what you would class as an "Extreme Makeover" :D

Got it. But I am curious how they will go about realigning your jaw.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Got it. But I am curious how they will go about realigning your jaw.

They only true way of doing that is with surgery. See Option A in my original post.

I went for Option B, which means they re-build my teeth, size, alignment etc to compensate for my messed up jaw/bite. It's not a perfect solution, but I wasn't prepared to go through complicated surgery and spend months in rehabilitation.

After Saturday I have 4 back teeth, two either side that meet and function as they should.
I have never had that, right now I feel like I could crunch through bones without a problem :)

I'm back this Saturday to have 4 more fixed. Maybe I'll move up to eating steel pipes?

May 12, 2005
They only true way of doing that is with surgery. See Option A in my original post.

I went for Option B, which means they re-build my teeth, size, alignment etc to compensate for my messed up jaw/bite. It's not a perfect solution, but I wasn't prepared to go through complicated surgery and spend months in rehabilitation.

After Saturday I have 4 back teeth, two either side that meet and function as they should.
I have never had that, right now I feel like I could crunch through bones without a problem :)

I'm back this Saturday to have 4 more fixed. Maybe I'll move up to eating steel pipes?

Robert aka Jaws

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Really interesting stuff.

So your jaws line up more or less OK, and he's rearranging teeth to give you a better bite?

I have a large overbite and due to bad dental work when I was a kid, my back teeth never aligned correctly. The combination of the two over the years, shifted my teeth around.

Saturday I had 5hrs of work... Now when I bite (vertical motion) my back teeth, top and bottom meet and align as they should. I now have a good reference to start work fixing the others. Got another long session this coming Saturday :)

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I have a large overbite and due to bad dental work when I was a kid, my back teeth never aligned correctly. The combination of the two over the years, shifted my teeth around.

Saturday I had 5hrs of work... Now when I bite (vertical motion) my back teeth, top and bottom meet and align as they should. I now have a good reference to start work fixing the others. Got another long session this coming Saturday :)

How much discomfort were you in if any? It does not sound like you had any as you refer to upgrading to eating pipes...were you awake for the entire procedure? and if local injections were given, did they last the five hours in the chair?? Just curious I had my first session of a root canal yesterday, and the local anethetic was wearing off within an hour of leaving the 1 1/2 hr appt...

Good Luck tomorrow:)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How much discomfort were you in if any? It does not sound like you had any as you refer to upgrading to eating pipes...were you awake for the entire procedure? and if local injections were given, did they last the five hours in the chair?? Just curious I had my first session of a root canal yesterday, and the local anethetic was wearing off within an hour of leaving the 1 1/2 hr appt...

Good Luck tomorrow:)

Yet to have any anesthetic or injections to date.
I'm sure some they are coming, I'm not that brave :)

The have comfortable chairs and neck rests.
Plus they have a massage room if you really start to ache.

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
Good Luck tomorrow! Looking forward to more pictures of scenery! Not coming back until November and it is a long way off!