Need advice for moving to DR with theincome I have

Feb 7, 2007
so, so far, this is what it looks like
Rent -RD 6,810, or less
Food-RD 10,215 or less
Phone, internet, and electricity, RD 3,500

Rent - Doable
Food - wery much doable, if you will not drink and smoke or do drugs
see my previous reply, I would say you should be fine with about 7,000 per month on food, among cooking and takeout food.
Phone + internet - the simplest plan with 384 kbps Internet will cost you about 1200 pesos, cellphone with 150 minutes about 800 pesos, and electricity without A/C about 800 to 1000 pesos. Total = about 3,000 pesos.

My electric bill now runs about 1500 pesos, have quite some juice sucked, inverter charges, and use AC at night for several hours. My daily usage is on avergae 10 kilowatthours.

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Hi- Well I dont eat any Seafood (allerigic), so thats not a problem... lol... And I am used to eating cheap... yes I like to eat out.. But I can also eat a bowel of cereal, or a ham sandwich.. So, I dont food will be a problem..

Thanks for the advice! I am feling better and better about this thing..!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
so, so far, this is what it looks like
Rent -RD 6,810, or less
Food-RD 10,215 or less
Phone, internet, and electricity, RD 3,500

Total = RD 20,525 or $ 602.79 USD

Granted I went on the High end of things for every catagory....

Can someone tell me if these numbers are acurate?

Thanks

I live in NYC and I eat Oatmeal every morning at work, since I buy a large box, it usually ends up costing me about .30cents/RD10 a day for breakfast, add a couple of slices of fruit, a pinch of cinnamon (Yummy) and there you have it, one of the healthiest breakfast on the planet. Nothing fried, no salt, and very low sugar. Helps lower your costs, if I lived there, Oatmeal will be a must at least 5 days a week.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I live in NYC and I eat Oatmeal every morning at work, since I buy a large box, it usually ends up costing me about .30cents/RD10 a day for breakfast, add a couple of slices of fruit, a pinch of cinnamon (Yummy) and there you have it, one of the healthiest breakfast on the planet. Nothing fried, no salt, and very low sugar. Helps lower your costs, if I lived there, Oatmeal will be a must at least 5 days a week.
You're making me hungry, thinking of oatmeal with blueberries or raspberries. Yum yum.
Of course, the OP would have to opt for more tropical fruits, bananas, mangos and the like.

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
I just have a question.... Would it be safe to say that the majority of people involved in this thread, (with the exception of a few), are on the richer side. Or should I say, that they probably own property in DR, and draw a retirment, etc??? Just curious.. Thanks

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I just have a question.... Would it be safe to say that the majority of people involved in this thread, (with the exception of a few), are on the richer side. Or should I say, that they probably own property in DR, and draw a retirment, etc??? Just curious.. Thanks

Many are on the richer side, and many not. Many worked for many years before they could buy property. So, it is your normal mix. I would say seriously that many folks with very limited budgets perhaps do not participate so frequently on the board.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Many are on the richer side, and many not. Many worked for many years before they could buy property. So, it is your normal mix. I would say seriously that many folks with very limited budgets perhaps do not participate so frequently on the board.

I didn't realize that you had been appointed something other than monitor. I think your comment is out of line. Posting as long as within the rules should not be decided based on the size of someones budget. If that's the case I need to post far more often as I have a sizable budget. As the OP keep asking the questions tlbaker78, after all you have to make your decision based on what you learn from all these good people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I didn't realize that you had been appointed something other than monitor. I think your comment is out of line.

Which comment? I thought Chris was stating a fact not a value judgement i.e. people with very limited budgets tend not to have electricity, computers, internet etc. She didn't say they shouldn't post, she said they didn't. There's a difference.

We've seen both sides, tlbaker. Came in with very little money, worked & worked, finally retired & living off pension, investments & yes, now own property. It's fine if you're just curious. But if you're unconsciously trying to be divisive, that's different. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please read Rick Snyder's posts. He was a monument. Also follow Rubio's guidelines.

Lots of stuff is possible. Just be cool

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I didn't realize that you had been appointed something other than monitor. I think your comment is out of line.

Bob, your reading comprehension in this case seems to be faulty. And the word is moderator, not monitor. My comment is not out of line but is based on fact as much as what we know. Here it is again for ease of reading:
I would say seriously that many folks with very limited budgets perhaps do not participate so frequently on the board.
My reasoning for saying this is both what Lambada said (cost of electricity, internet, computers), as well as perhaps I think that the interests could be different.

After you read my post again, I accept your future apology. Let's move on!

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob, your reading comprehension in this case seems to be faulty. And the word is moderator, not monitor. My comment is not out of line but is based on fact as much as what we know. Here it is again for ease of reading:
My reasoning for saying this is both what Lambada said (cost of electricity, internet, computers), as well as perhaps I think that the interests could be different.

After you read my post again, I accept your future apology. Let's move on!

You are correct, perhaps I read something into your statement that wasn't there. I meant monitor.

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
I am one of the people, who has recently posted here asking about moving to DR on a budget, so I naturally take notice, and respond. Yes some poeple I am sure have lived in DR for many years and are experts in THIER life, and THIER lifestyle in DR.. I realize that, and that fact is and never has been in question.. What is in Question, is can someone from a completly diffrent Socioeconomic background, truly and objectevly give advice for someone wanting a completly diffrent way of life? I personally think NO, But thats my opinion.. There has been so good post from People that are living on my budget and less, and I appriciate that, So I am going to start a new post asking the question... Whats the Minimum that YOU could live on, and what are your wants and needs.. Maybe that will go better...

I dont think everything is about me, and no I am not a bad "
KID" ((Thanks for that!!!)) just frustrated that some people, think that their life in DR is a rule book or guidline for others... I will gladly show you all that I will succeed and prosper in DR.... I assure you of that!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
TL,

As a reference point, do a search under "cost of living," and you should find quite a few threads within the last 9 months addressing your question.

As has been previously stated, everyone has a different notion of what constitutes "minimal" living. Some are fine in a shack, others might consider Sea Horse Ranch as roughing it.

Therefore, instead of making what would be a completely subjective request, it might be helpful (and further illuminate the subject) is if you could let folks know what your requirements are. For example, information as to which area to live (cities/towns/suburbs/countryside/touristy areas), amenities, services, proximity to attractions, food preferences, interests, etc. are you looking for? Cable? Hot running water? Car? Air conditioning? Once that information is know, some of the posters might be able to give you a sense of how much something costs in a given area.

For starters, do you have a preferred area in the country? The costs of living vary greatly between the Capital and the Campo.

Good luck.

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Yes, But the reason I started a new thread is because YOUR thread seems to ask a diffrent question of differnt people.... I would like personal experinces, NOt opinion of people of rather they should encourage this or that, or guess what the locals will think... I am genually interested in finding out how low someone that LIVES or has lived on a low buget can live on?? This is why I am starting a diffrent post that ask's a first hand question, not asking peoplefrom a diff background to guess... Not being impatient, or promblematic.. Just making room,and getting out of this thread and making one for the lesser people to discuss things..

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Yes, But the reason I started a new thread is because YOUR thread seems to ask a diffrent question of differnt people.... I would like personal experinces, NOt opinion of people of rather they should encourage this or that, or guess what the locals will think... I am genually interested in finding out how low someone that LIVES or has lived on a low buget can live on?? This is why I am starting a diffrent post that ask's a first hand question, not asking peoplefrom a diff background to guess... Not being impatient, or promblematic.. Just making room,and getting out of this thread and making one for the lesser people to discuss things..

It takes having the personal experience to form an opinion. When seeking advice, one needs to be open to hearing the good and the bad.

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Ok... Fair enough.. (chris should this be another Thread????? I still dont know the rules???))

1. Area: Ocean View, tropical, Pretty , (oe colonial style city )
2. Needs: Internet (Not a Must but would like), a/c, water, No need for backup power right away, basic 1 bedroom apartment or cottage close to public transport... Would like to have the option for hot water, But not always neccesary...
3. No car
4. I want a basic, tranquil like in a nice, relaxed tropical setting... I dont require americanized malls, or starbucks, or anything like that... show me the Mercado, The Local Tienda's, etc I will be fine.....
My home can be very basic, as long as its clean and safe I will be ok, O dont require a Villa or anything......

What else?

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Ok, so I responded as per my needs... But I guess I should also (been intructed no to post a new thread) What is the least amount of money that YOU have lived on?? Personal Experience.. and give details as to what extras, or luxurys you have, etc.. I am interested in hearing from people on a LOW budget, PLEASE! Thanks

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Also about where to live... I amleaning towards the east coast... But really have no idea.. Only doing that because a few people said, and also its proximity to PR... Any thoughts???