Need advice for moving to DR with theincome I have

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
tlb,
you mentioned previously travel to pto rico - i got the feeling you were referring to making the trips for things you need to accomplish on u.s. soil.
with jetblue or spirit a trip to NYC or Ft Lauderdale might be cheaper than a trip to pto rico. at times those flights go for under $10 each way + taxes (with taxes being $150-$180+/-)

Feb 7, 2007
If you want to be close to the water on the East, Savana de la Mar or Miches, or Boca de Yuma. They are campos. In the interior, Hato Mayor, El Seybo or Higuey.

Now if you want some nice place in Cibao Central, why not Cotui. Clean small city.

There are just so many places where you can live cheaply. In Cotui, for example, you can rent a nice house for 150 US$ per month, food will be cheaper than in SD or Santiago or the North, as well as local services. You will be able to get an Intenet and will have 2 or 3 cell phone companies to chose from. The lectricity costs the same everywhere. Your best bet is to investigate befor you move what circuit is your prospective location on. There are many 24 hour circuits in all parts of country, then there are 21 hour, 18 hour, 15 hour and 12 hour circuits. Your best bet would be 24/21 hour circuit, or 18 hr at the worst. The circuits "hourage" depends how the residents pay their electric bills. So the low circuits mean poor people live there, and are probably barrios, so posisbly avoid them.

Ferries to PR leave from Santo Domingo so beware that! Do not move to the East because of the Ferry.

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
wow.. Thanks

CFA123 THANKS.. that maks perfect sense about that, I heard AA has a monopoly between DR and PR, so NYC would be perfect I have friends there (actually my dominican friend lives there) and yes, I will need to go every so often for certain things.. Thanks alot that was Very helpfull!!

and Rubio-H... Thansk for that.. I had no idea, I Assumed that the ferries left from the east.. BUT thanks.. Thats really helpfull.. But now I know about the Jet Blue option! Your other recomendations were great.. thanks, because I really had no specific data to base my desire to move to that are, or any specific city and details.. thanks again!!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Monte Llano is on the north coast near the POP airport and another 20 minutes to Puerto Plata by car. It has grown into a rather large community of Dominicans with a large amount of Haitians that worked in the sugar cane fields and now is a "home base" for hotel and domestic workers.

I am not saying that any of this is bad. Just what I "think" I know. Electric power is very... ?? Internet??? Flooding happens in some areas. Ocean is a couple miles away, across road and through the sugar cane fields. Once at the Ocean... drop about 20 feet for a swim and not get out... ever.

Sorry if any of my information needs correcting and no problem with correction.

Regards, Ringo

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Ok Ringo... Thanks for the advice! What would you recomend, with the same qualifications, etc...?? Place to live in the east that is..

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Also, I would like to be somewhat close to an airport that spriit or Jetblue fly from if that helps.. Thanks

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OK "kid". Puerto Plata is about 20 minutes, by car, to the west of POP with Sosua about 10 minutes, by car, to the east. Google Earth it.

In my opinion... Puerto Plata may be better for you. Small city with everything within walking distance. Expats around, if they want to be found, to give advise. OK to nice beach; in fact the Malicon is very nice to walk during the day. You should be able to find housing within a reasonable price BUT I will let the people that live in POP advise if they wish. Some work opportunities... maybe... after a while... depending...

Do your research. Regards, Ringo

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One thing to consider about the east is that it is much muggier and hotter than the Cibao area. In other words it may be difficult to adjust to and sleep at night. However, in Cibao it is much cooler and we get cool breezes off the two mountain ranges that surround us. It is also a drier heat because of the characteristics of the valley and also it is at a higher elevation.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The city of Santiago is +- 500/650 feet above sea level and takes an hour, minimum by car, over the mountains to get to the North Coast waters. It is in a great valley with crests that average 2,500 feet and peaks over 4,500 feet that provide a view from from the city and the mountains... except that the pollution is withheld within this valley. Being that the city is higher then sea level and has the mountains, the dry temps. without the sea breeze are... rather high. This is a business center of the country, has a very good airport.

Is this the "Cibao" area?

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
and Rubio-H... Thansk for that.. I had no idea, I Assumed that the ferries left from the east..

But you were already told they didn't. Rocky very helpfully gave you the link to the Ferry website four days ago on this thread

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/73435-getting-puerto-rico-boat-plane.html

You didn't look at it?

I also gave you a link to a newspaper article on that same thread which made it clear that ferries left from SD.

You know, if you're going to just keep posting questions without reading the stuff people take the trouble to point you to, well, they're going to stop trying to help you. Sorry, but human nature being what it is and most of the long term expats having experienced all sorts of people who want to move here, they tend to focus their help to those who help themselves by 'doing' rather than just posting..............

I will gladly show you all that I will succeed and prosper in DR.... I assure you of that!!

Splendid! Why not start by actually proving that you at least bother to read info on links when they're provided?

BUT I will let the people that live in POP advise if they wish.

:ermm: Errrrrrrr this one will take a raincheck until the OP proves he reads what he is given. I think that's fair. :)

tlbaker78

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks for the ever vilgelint checking for mistakes... I AM researching about 1 million things a day... and believe it or not dr1 is not the only channel to get information abour DR... there are other places with other types of people, experiences, other websites, etc etc... I am also running a business... So If I forgot something, or if I hadnt had a chance to read something in detail bon another post before I say something.. It doesnt mean that I sm not payiong attention, or that I dont take the advice given, it means I am between several sites, email, etc... I do not sit in front of DR1 all day... and furthermore I dont sit in front of my computer all day either.....
I will read everything given to me, I truly will, BUT although I am devoting ALOT of time to researching DR I still have other things to do...
Please dont take offense, BUT I feel jumping on me wasnt neccesary... It seems people are just waiting like an old english teacher, waiting to check off your mistakes on here...lol

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
tlbaker78,Old english teacher?
Watch those harsh curse words !!!!!!!!!!
Don't fall asleep in the wrong place

Easy you been doing OK

You see I ain't mean no more !!!!

Again good LUCK...............and I'm OLD

Sanation

May 21, 2007
Cotui????

Now if you want some nice place in Cibao Central, why not Cotui. Clean small city.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree about the comments made in relation to Cotui. The city is far from clean. We looked for accommodation in Cotui (as the company I am here with have a mine site nearby) and could find nothing suitable.

To quote our Construction Manager - 'the place is a dive'. Don't even waste your time.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Sanation, the man is looking for a thrifty place to stay on the island and if you say dive, that sounds thrifty to me,

I might look into it myself, might be able to buy the place

Just joking

Sanation

May 21, 2007
There's thrifty and there's THRIFTY

Thrifty may be one thing, but this place is the pits.

There are many beautiful places to live on this island that are cheap and pleasant.

In my opinion and the many people who work for our company, Cotui ain't one of them.

sheets

Aug 30, 2007
We need to conduct a study to find out why some people are so miserable and mean to people when they ask questions.

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
That's easy.............

We need to conduct a study to find out why some people are so miserable and mean to people when they ask questions.

Because they are just plain mean and miserable. :tired:It is very easy to answer questions and not be an ah but it is also easier to be that way on the web. There are many posters on here who are awesome in their posts and i have even seen them being attacked and they still hold to their dignity. However those that post in a vicious and mean manner let's me believe that they are that way as that is really how their life is. When you are truly happy and content in life is when you will be able to treat others no matter what how you would like to be treated. Until then you are mean and miserable.Sorry to HiJack but sometimes its hard not too.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Because they are just plain mean and miserable. :tired:It is very easy to answer questions and not be an ah but it is also easier to be that way on the web. There are many posters on here who are awesome in their posts and i have even seen them being attacked and they still hold to their dignity. However those that post in a vicious and mean manner let's me believe that they are that way as that is really how their life is. When you are truly happy and content in life is when you will be able to treat others no matter what how you would like to be treated. Until then you are mean and miserable.Sorry to HiJack but sometimes its hard not too.

Amennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!