New Cedulas for Foreigners Begin Today

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
It's still not clear if it's necessary for people like myself that spend 6 months out of the year in the Country. Or will We still just be able to pay the over stay fees. Maybe this was already answered?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Contango,

My opinion - just my opinion - is that RD is trying to 'up' their system.... better cedulas, more control over who is here and who comes and goes.
Assuming they are interested in their tourism quotient - a big slice of their economy - it would follow that serve that.
(I can hear the naysayers already)

So, like most other countries, you need to indicate your intended length of stay...
Whether by applying for a visa for your 3-4-5 month visit or by stating your intentions at entry and being 'stamped' in for your intended visit.
Will fees apply - dunno?

maybe again, just maybe, a visa fee will apply in advance instead of after.

many countries have controls on their visitors.... not unusual.

The reality is that nobody knows quite yet what will/may happen.

mine is just an offering about how a system could be introduced

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wait wait, we all need to change the cedula by june? what will be the charge for the renewal after that?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
wait wait, we all need to change the cedula by june? what will be the charge for the renewal after that?

I thought they said that the new cedulas were going to be good for 10 years..... and that after that they would cost 1000 pesos. Was I hallucinating? Or is that just for Dominicans?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am kinda confused. my cedula is good until 2016 or 2017, can't remember. i am fine paying some money in order to renew it but only if it is a flat rate. but i do not want to go to SD and hear that my cedula has expired and i need to fork out for every month since the june deadline.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
That is BS, you Have 18 months from the day they started to issue the new ones which was I think 22nd of April this year.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That is BS, you Have 18 months from the day they started to issue the new ones which was I think 22nd of April this year.

i really do not know the limits. 18 months deadline is for dominicans, i think. i was addressing this post:

According to all of the local papers (english and spanish) it's June-ish.
Honestly, I think mid June is when the free ones will end. From then on, you'll have to pay. That is just my opinion based on what I've been reading.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought they said that the new cedulas were going to be good for 10 years..... and that after that they would cost 1000 pesos. Was I hallucinating? Or is that just for Dominicans?

It would be something new if Dominicans had to pay anything for cedulas.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012

Looks like it's just for Dominicans. Plus get ready for e-passports (electronic) next year.;)

The country will have electronic passports by next year 2015. It's in the making.:)

Santo Domingo.- Passports Agency director Iris Guaba today said the country will implement an e-passport that she affirms will take Dominican Republic to global standards by next year.

"When Dominicans arrive with an e-passport to an international border, they’ll receive a quite different treatment, with the use of a paper with the highest security level," the official said.

Guaba, speaking n a mass at La Paz Church to mark Passports’ 44th anniversary, said the mechanism will mean that any official will be assured that those who carry the document is the owner.

She admitted however that the process involves support from other agencies which might not count with the technological platform required to start the process, and cited the Immigration Agency, General, who’s working on the issue.”

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/te...y-will-have-electronic-passports-by-next-year

What's Up Caribbean - Dominican Republic to have electronic passports by 2015

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Begging and Paying

It would be something new if Dominicans had to pay anything for cedulas.

New and very unlikely, too.

Shortly before the elections the party 'botellas' beg and pay Dominicans to have their cedulas 'done'.
The 'botellas' make sure they get them "una vez"... :bunny:

donP

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
residency/cedula rulez

"OFFICIAL" Bulletin from the Government "Cedula Office".
The "Rules & Regulations" regarding "Cedula" renewal will change monthly until further notice"!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

...or when there is another budget deficit to fill, whichever comes first.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Im going to get my cedula on 4th june from Cabarete and we can take up to 5 passengers extra, so pm me in case u wanna go as well, just chip in gas. Or we can take u back from SD to sosuacabarete same day later.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Your words confuse me. You are describing the point of entry process as it exists today; I must be missing something that is new. You are now asked to declare your length of stay in advance and upon exit. You are also made to pay a visa fee in advance, unless you are from an exempt country (Uruguay, Japan, etc.) Different fees apply to different visas. Most visas are of course tourist visas. The fees are collected in cash upon entry (anyone see room for fraud there???) Only cash is accepted unless tourists use the relatively new online credit card option.

The end game for residency rules and all other government processes is money collection. I will leave it to others to debate the plitics but I see little room for reasonable arguments about the ultimate purpose of the so called "rules."

Contango,

My opinion - just my opinion - is that RD is trying to 'up' their system.... better cedulas, more control over who is here and who comes and goes.
Assuming they are interested in their tourism quotient - a big slice of their economy - it would follow that serve that.
(I can hear the naysayers already)

So, like most other countries, you need to indicate your intended length of stay...
Whether by applying for a visa for your 3-4-5 month visit or by stating your intentions at entry and being 'stamped' in for your intended visit.
Will fees apply - dunno?

maybe again, just maybe, a visa fee will apply in advance instead of after.

many countries have controls on their visitors.... not unusual.

The reality is that nobody knows quite yet what will/may happen.

mine is just an offering about how a system could be introduced

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Refund? Seriously? With all due respect, it seems unlikely to me under any circumstances.

If this is true, what will happen to those people whose existing cedula has an expiration date later than the expiration date of their residency. They have already paid for x number of years. Do you suppose the JCE will give a refund?

inet

Aug 31, 2013
Went today at 2pm to exchange my cedula and was out at 3pm (C/ Luperon, SD).

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Went today at 2pm to exchange my cedula and was out at 3pm (C/ Luperon, SD).

Wish I had this kind of luck. Arrived at 7:45 this morning, #12 inline! One guy doing the Photos and finger print. This was done at 9:30, Line to wait and verify data(address etc). This was done at 10:20, Received new Cedula at 11:00 and out the door. Not sure why they kept bumping people ahead in the line. Was about to beat down on the French guy with a bunch of clients that they kept bumping in, who came in after me.