new checks on flights to USA start today

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
"The reason for the ban is not immediately clear".

A quick scan of the countries on the list and I'd say the reason is pretty obvious.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
There is a thread about this on "Flyer Talk". They say there that all carry on electronics are now subject to additional "screening".  I'm flying out of POP later this week and will report back.
I did receive an email yesterday from my airline notifying me of "additional security measures in place" and advising me to be at the airport 3 hours before flight time.

I remember that I flew out of POP shortly after the "underwear bomber" incident. They then also instituted "additional security measures". The POP security checkpoints were a complete cluster-Fk!  People in line were pushing and shouting at each other. The A/P authorities seemed to make no effort to maintain control and order.

I hope it will be better organized this go round, but I planning to definitely being there at least 3 hours ahead.  Best case scenario, I have time to finish the book I'm reading while sitting peacefully at the gate.  

I arrived at Puerto Plata airport about 2.5 hours before my scheduled flight time. Clear sailing! No lines at check in or security. And I didn't notice anything different about the security procedures.

Can't speak for those who came after me, but our full flight was delayed 20 minutes for "late arriving passengers". 

egonvw

Jan 12, 2011
i flew out of sdq today on jet blue. had carry on only. when i wanted to take out my laptop, i was told to leave laptop in carry on.
no lines, business as usual.
egon

egonvw

Jan 12, 2011
correction, before one asks how the timing is possible, flew out of sdq 7/29/17. 
egon