New Cruise Ship Port in Puerto Plata

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Come back to this thread in four years and see how nothing was built. But there will be another set of pics with President Fernandez and vice president Felix at the ribbon cutting to commence the ground breaking.

They are already working in the project at Maimon...

Not only that, but the first ship is expected to arrive in December 2013...

But that's not even the only or cruise ship for port to be under construction in the DR already!

The group behind the San Souci project already finalized the move of the Dominican Armada (former Marina de Guerra) to their new location and work already started on that port facility...

sanosouci005.jpg

37892_106109342777253_106092739445580_49189_4450231_n.jpg

sanosouci001.jpg

40136C9D-7A1E-4EE7-A1CC-41B786E6805C.jpeg

5527B9F4-58D9-4511-A665-7289F3A530E2.jpeg

mapapuertosanssoucisantty2.jpg

sanssouci7hv3.jpg

That's apart from also a new cruise ships port for Samana!

5 new marinas for the regular folk with added 2 new ones being municipal and open to the public in general!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I suspect Luperon is not using a source, just his experience in things Dominican. Am i correct on that, Luperon?
As someone else who believes what they see, I hope all goes well with the project.

I really really hope this project gets done! I am just sour on all projects since Atlantica(the work had already started there as well). My comment is based on nothing but my own speculation and was meant to be funny, at least in my own mind.

And Pichardos pics are starting to make me nauseous, the scrolling necessary to get to the next post is enough to give one an epileptic seizure. Although of course I wish that the new PLD Administration is better than the last.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I suspect it will be like any other DR business where the government gets its cut in applicable taxes on the businesses involved and some local people are employed. Why would the local authorities have any more leeway than that in a free market venture?

well, in some instances, the government can demand concessions from the MNE, in terms of certain basic expectations, such as hiring practices. although the DR government dropped the ball by not putting up at least a part of the funding, it could always demand of the operators to conduct business in such a way as to benefit locals, to a degree. if the operators became obdurate, then the government could tell them to take the ships elsewhere. it is not as though there are going to be great benefits to the local economy , given the current enclave format.

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
Interested in hearing any more of the latest factual info on how the maimon project is proceeding ?!

diosabella

May 24, 2012
hi there - im interested in renting a space in the maimon area to sell clothes giftshop type? who do i call, noone seems to know. I drove to maimon last week to plan for the business, i see kiosk being built, who do i call for a space for rent?
please help. thank you. sabrina

diosabella

May 24, 2012
hi there, i have been trying to follow this project for over a year. do you know who i would contact to rent a retail space in the maimon port (gift shop) type business. please help, noone seems to know. greatly appreciated.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Mikey Arison . Just kidding. if you find out i would like to know also . That has potenchel . Fat americans love to by stuff like that .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
hi there - im interested in renting a space in the maimon area to sell clothes giftshop type? who do i call, noone seems to know. I drove to maimon last week to plan for the business, i see kiosk being built, who do i call for a space for rent?
please help. thank you. sabrina

you had best do some research about the location. my information is that it will not be in Maimon per se, but 13 kilometers away, closer to Luperon. so, if you see kiosks in Maimon, maybe they have nothing to do with this project.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hmm... THOR cost $150 million. This could be just a bit more than that.

So far the tally on pre-works is over 300 million US$...

The only thing I see wrong with this is that it's way too close to the historic Santo Domingo UNESCO zone.

They are in a legal fight right now on the impact this will create in the old parts of the city.

They are already moving the Navy from there slowly but sure.

This is a good few billions, including the Santo Domingo convention center to be erected there...