New Cruise Ship Port in Puerto Plata

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
So far the tally on pre-works is over 300 million US$...

The only thing I see wrong with this is that it's way too close to the historic Santo Domingo UNESCO zone.

They are in a legal fight right now on the impact this will create in the old parts of the city.

They are already moving the Navy from there slowly but sure.

This is a good few billions, including the Santo Domingo convention center to be erected there...

I think you are so excited about it that you ended up in the wrong thread, this one is about Puerto Plata...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I think you are so excited about it that you ended up in the wrong thread, this one is about Puerto Plata...

======================================================

Looks like someone saw the movie THOR too many times:

sanosouci005.jpg

Hmm... THOR cost $150 million. This could be just a bit more than that.

It was a follow up to the above and not the OP...

Not excited or even close to it...

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
This will definately boost tourism on the North Coast can not wait to see it when it is done !

May 29, 2006
This will definately boost tourism on the North Coast can not wait to see it when it is done !

I don't think it will do much for PP. If anything, they will tell passengers that the DR is extremely dangerous and to stay within the new development, just like the AIs do. It will create a couple thousand local jobs that will pay minimum and the real money will be in long term leases for commercial space that won't be affordable to Dominicans, with the exception of the elites. I'm sure there will be plenty of ex-pats who will want to check it out and then report back about paying US$20 for a burger and a beer, prob more. On the plus side, the construction jobs should be good.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

The only thing I see wrong with this is that it's way too close to the historic Santo Domingo UNESCO zone.

They are in a legal fight right now on the impact this will create in the old parts of the city.

This is a good few billions, including the Santo Domingo convention center to be erected there...

Give "The Pic Bandito - :bandit: " a break.

With the thousands of photos he "finds" on the Internet, he's bound to get confused once in a while. lol

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Give "The Pic Bandito - :bandit: " a break.

With the thousands of photos he "finds" on the Internet, he's bound to get confused once in a while. lol

Huh? Nope, the ones that need to read and see more careful and less excited are you guys!

Go back and see for yourself! Or not! Like it's the usual for a many here! LOL!!

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Well it will trickle down people will take day trips to Puerto Plata Sosua and Cabarete amd spend money in gift shops reataurants and bars no where as much as a tourist that actually stays a few days in hotels but it will trickle through the taxi mafia will make money for sure in the send something is better than nothing but a cruise ship tourist is not as good as a tourist that comes for a few days we will see but it will be a boost and the NC needs whatever it can get at the moment!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
it will likely be similar to cancun and other places... the cruise lines will have "official / endorsed" vendors and excursions which they "guarantee" and from which they get a hefty percentage. Still... better than nothing.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
you had best do some research about the location. my information is that it will not be in Maimon per se, but 13 kilometers away, closer to Luperon. so, if you see kiosks in Maimon, maybe they have nothing to do with this project.

I understood the original announcement stated that the cruise ship port would be in Maimon Bay, when did it get moved 13 km away?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I understood the original announcement stated that the cruise ship port would be in Maimon Bay, when did it get moved 13 km away?

The site has not been moved. Its still in Maimon Bay. I have contact w Carnival and they would have told me. I have a meeting with them in the beginning of August in Miami, I will report some details about the construction/plans/implementation.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it will likely be similar to cancun and other places... the cruise lines will have "official / endorsed" vendors and excursions which they "guarantee" and from which they get a hefty percentage. Still... better than nothing.

barely better than nothing. the cruise lines will run the whole show, and locals will get a pittance. it is not better than nothing, because no development comes without costs. someone will be stuck paying for the environmental damege, the social disruption, the criminal magnet effect, the reef and coral damage, and so on. it just will not be the cruise lines. should there be an accidental spill of toxic fluids, guess who pays to clean it up? if you said the DR government, you are right.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

I had heard rumors of a pedestrian bridge to the colonial zone? If they improved the colonial zone, that would maybe be the best of both worlds. Make the zona, cleaner, well lit, safe and more like say cartagena, and you would drive some revenue to locals.

Once they do that, fix up the malecon. Make it safe to walk at night. Clean it up. Light it up.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I had heard rumors of a pedestrian bridge to the colonial zone? If they improved the colonial zone, that would maybe be the best of both worlds. Make the zona, cleaner, well lit, safe and more like say cartagena, and you would drive some revenue to locals.

Once they do that, fix up the malecon. Make it safe to walk at night. Clean it up. Light it up.

Amen to that.

If you follow the logic of the naysayers, why improve anything? If you improve something, something bad might happen. Build a nice park and the thieves might get an idea to come rob the gringos. The big ships might scare the whales off. And a toxic spill? Really? Sure, it could happen but this aint the 50's anymore.

Why don't we all put on animal skins and just go live in caves?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Amen to that.

If you follow the logic of the naysayers, why improve anything? If you improve something, something bad might happen. Build a nice park and the thieves might get an idea to come rob the gringos. The big ships might scare the whales off. And a toxic spill? Really? Sure, it could happen but this aint the 50's anymore.

Yep, and god for friggin bid they open a Johnny Rockets or Hooters at the port. That would result in there suddenly not being any place to eat la bandera y mofongo. . . . .

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Yep, and god for friggin bid they open a Johnny Rockets or Hooters at the port. That would result in there suddenly not being any place to eat la bandera y mofongo. . . . .
Cruise passengers don't come ashore to eat.....they get 12 meals a day on board. If they do eat, local fare would be more interesting.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Agreed. Actually, I Royal Caribbean has an agreement to operate Johnny Rockets franchises on board a number of their ships....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Amen to that.

In 2008, the oceans witnessed 1 major oil spill and 7 medium-sized oil spills. On an average, since 2001, the oil spill count has come down to 3.4 oil spill incidents per year, but even one major oil spill is hazardous for the marine life.

sh*t happens

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
You guys mean this one:

Cruceros.jpg

They are moving people from the spot, where there's still land being negotiated for the full expansion of the project on later stages. A lot of people have been moved already from their old sites:

These here:

CONSTRUCCION%20PLAZA%20MAIMON1.JPG

Are being moved to here:

CONSTRUCCION%20PLAZA%20MAIMON.JPG

And these were the easy ones to relocate... Others want the Cielo and La Tierra...

But, the state moved in and is taking care of those...

The actual port and facilities work will begin in October and be readied by 2013 and finalized by 2014.