• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

New Debate:Dollar Power VS Peso Power

K

Keith R

Re:What Banks closed? Kidding me?

TW,

A couple of points:
1. The financial failures of the 1980's were not all financieras. Some of them were (supposedly) regulated & supervised S&Ls. I know, my suegra had a savings account tied up in one of those failures, and believe me, she was not getting 40% interest on her account! But she did deposit it at the time because peso accounts received more than she could get in dollar accounts in the US. Sound familiar?
2. Yes, the government made sure the depositors got their money back -- but they took 10 years to do it! When the S&L my suegra used went under, the peso was US$1=DR$3, when she finally was repaided her money (with no interest, of course), the exchange rate was US$1=DR$12.5. Yeah, she lost money big time. Not to speak of the problem of not being able to touch that money for 10 years! Can you afford to have your money tied up for ten years, not earning interest and subject to high echange risk?
Can you really assure people that a future DR government wouldn't act this way in case of a round of bank closures? As I read current law, there is nothing to prevent it. And in any case, we all know that the law on the books in the DR and the actual practice, particularly when it comes to the government's obligations, "es otra cosa." And you cannot depend on the courts for help unless the judge is your brother or accepts a hefty "incentive" payment.
3. One of the DR banks went bankrupt in the 1990's while I lived there (1995-99), and it wasn't Metropolitano. So it's not just an issue of a long ago era. And rumors were rife in the DR banking community in 1998 of another possible bankruptcy (you'd be surprised at the name), which thankfully did not happen, mostly because the Central Bank worked quietly behind the scenes to avert it and kept the matter out of the newspapers somehow until the mini-crisis passed.
4. How solid the banks appear and how solid they actually are differs. Yes, bank supervision has improved immensely since 1989, but since it was improving from "poor," "improving" is not necessarily as good as it needs to be. The DR banks have cleaned up their act alot, but more work needs to be done. Someone I am close to was a DR bank auditor for four years, and the stories I heard could make your hair stand on end. Many times the top officers, and certainly the Boards of the individual banks, do not know all their trouble spots and how vulnerable they are. And, TW, I am not talking about small, new banks.
5. "The Bolsa de Valores is a safe bet"? Honestly, TW, that is not a responsible statement, and frankly surprising coming from what I regard as a savvy guy. The Bolsa is unregulated, basically unsupervised, and you are getting the good rates PRECISELY because it is risky. Risky does not mean "safe." IT IS A BET, a gamble. Yes, it may be a calculated risk with strong probability of a return and perhaps a good one at that, but that does not, by any definition I know of in legal and financial circles, make it "safe." You may not get your money back and there is legal recourse in the DR if that happens. There is risk and it should be acknowledged. Short terms just make the risk more manageable.
6. Hipolito's government has not shown me anything close to what I would consider fiscal responsibility, and we have at least 2 1/2 yrs more of his "management" (if you can call it that), maybe longer if he wins his bid to change the constitution and cons the Dominican people into voting for him again. Unless he cleans up his act soon, he can do immeasurable harm to the Dominican economy and the peso. That thought alone would keep me out of peso savings accounts. A peso checking account to meet current, short-term needs, okay, but nothing less liquid.
Respectfully,
Keith

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Mondongo:people who don't read..

Mondongo: people who don't read always look like mondongo when they speak. Your dollar supremacy complex can work in countries where their currency is weak and in a state of chronic devaluation. That is not the case in DR. So save your imperialism for chep talk shows. I never said that the peso was a world currency, but that it is as stable as one. I could care less if Germans or Japanese have no peso reserves, because I live here and plan to live here. The rest of the world means nothing to me.

When I asked opinions about this I was directing this at a market of people who meet the qualifications. Obviously, if you bring up the question of wether or not you plan to live all your life in DR, you do not qualify. The people who wish to leave the Dominican Republic are all oppressed, depressed, unemployed or underemployed, bankrupt, demoralized and hopeless. I only speak to the other side, the entrepeneurs, the successful and the mentally powerful. Those who can succeed in DR.

Who the hell wants to invest in treasury bills that will mature in 10 years, 20 years or 30 years? Is that creative or entrepeneurial investment? Where is the risk? Risk takers are winners. I was directing myself at winners and risk takers.

Who uses interest on short term investments? Obviously not you,since you question it. Let me tell you who does. Those who CAN, that is those who have disposable cash to play with their money. I was directing myself at those, not your type.

And, obviously too, if you live in DR, many of the products you buy are bought in pesos. We eat rice and beans and the beef, chicken, and pork we eat is produced in DR. But the crowd I am directing myself too worries not about things like that. I could care less if gas prices go to $50 pesos a gallon or if there is a surcharge on imports. I still keep my 8 cylinder gas guzzler, because I can. And in 7 years in DR I am making like a thief using the Dominican peso. Dollars in my hands weight too much. I like the lighter currency.

Please stay in your league and think before you talk.
TW

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: the US would side with Haiti

Gentlemen: If there is a war it would not be called a war. It would be a "country hike". The Dominican armed forces can walk into Haiti with bags of rice and food without having to fire a gun and liberate Haiti from Aristide. And if we use guns it would be easier. Just the batallion in Dajabon can knock off Haiti in hours without using air power.

Intervention? Just talk. Nobody would intervene in an invasion of Haiti by a democratic government in place like ours. The US usually attacks dictator who invade other countries. And even then look at the situation with Irak. The US has no will to take him out, much less come in and attack a democratic government defending its borders from and AIDS invasion.

TW

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Current street exchange

I got RD$16.95/US$1 yesterday.

Western Union was paying RD$16.9/US$1 to gringos.

The Airport was paying RD$16.8/US$1.

The Hamaca cambio was paying RD$16.6/US$1.

Newspapers say they expect the peso to hit 18 by Christmas.

A

aristoba

re: banks

you are right, my appologies.
bad example .
but i am still with the $.

L

Loren

El Jefe is right...

Barbancourt rhum is very very good. Reminds me of Havana Club...The real stuff, not the made in Bahamas. Bacardi makes a good rum in the Bahamas though. That's my fatherland, I have pirate blood in my veins!

D.R. is not going to attack Haiti because there is nothing there that they want. They would get a lot of negative attention on the world scene because everyone already looks at Haiti as a victim. It would certainly not solve Haitian migration problems. Can you imagine the US attacking Mexico because of illegal Mexican immigrants? (no!)

Haiti is not going to attack the D.R. because they can't. What would they use? That would be suicide.

L

Loren

Futures contracts are riskier than paper

?Haciendo papel! - Commercial paper, that is!

D

DOMINICAN PAPI

well said TW. besides ,who is going to have .....

any respect for a man that calls himself "mondongo" ????

toma consejo mondongo, te recomiendo que te cambies ese nombre si quieres tener mas respeto. todo el que come esa tripa, esta literalmente comiendo mierda. i was once served a plate of mondongo, and i got nausea just by the smell of it. not even letrinas smell that bad. no te ofendas, te lo digo por tu bien.

D

DOMINICAN PAPI

Re: Read "El Ocaso de La Nacion Dominicana"

i guess what he meant IS the establishment of Haitians living in DR.

T

Tony C.

Barbancourt

I still have 1/2 a case of that stuff. Makes Brugal seem like paint thinner.

D

DOMINICAN PAPI

THIS IS A CALL TO ALL THE DR LOVERS

i read about all this conspiracy theories and threats to our beloved nation, but i feel helpless just making comments about it on a message board. how about some actions?...let's do something about it!! there are plenty of ONG's and elements causing harm to our state. there are foreigners damaging our country with their anti-Dominican campaigns, as well as nationals that do an even worse damage with their unscrupulous business practices, hiring ilegal workers for peanuts and violating our labor, border, and inmigration laws. on the other hand, there are good foreigners that love DR sincerely. those are the ones that mean well to our nation. they are the ones that visit the country and enjoy our hospitality and tourist facilities. many of them decide to stay and make the DR their new home. they are all welcome, and i guess they decide to be here cause they feel welcome. but we have to get rid of the evil ones, ban all those stupid ONG's from our country, and speak up against such ass-kissing lambones like Hipolito. i used to have some respect for Hipolito because i thought his apparent "bluntness" was a good trait, but i am coming to the conclusion the he is a bad administrator and he gets in trouble with his own words because he is a man that makes many careless comments that bring out his stupidity and it is a humiliation for Dominicans to have this ignorant president. we need to bring intellectual excellence to the presidency which would give dignity to our nation, and would boost the morale of the people.
i want to DO something about it. if any one(pro-Dominican) has any way of doing some good for our national security, please DO something, write to the newspapers, let your opinions be heard.
TW you make some good points man. i encourage you to get those comments out there for the rest of the people in the country to read, or let me know if there's anyway that i can write to the newspapers myself so i can get the new message out there. i will work for this cause too.i am working on a book. i'm thinking about establishing a national coallition front and get involved in politics to demand that our laws be enforced, and dennounce the selfish corrupts that are inflicting damage to my nation. any inputs or contributions will be greatly appreciated.

E

El Jefecito

Re: THIS IS A CALL TO ALL THE DR LOVERS

TW for Presidente

Papi for Valium :)

D

DOMINICAN PAPI

Jefe i'm not ready to be President yet, so......

if TW wants to run, he wont get any competition from me. i have to wait until i turn 30 years old to qualify as a candidate according to the constitution. anyway.... what do you mean by "Papi for Valium"? ( i dont know the meaning of that word)

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Current street exchange

The peso projection of $18 is for christmas of next year 2002! There is no way the peso can go from a low of $16.90 this week to $18 by the end of this month, even if an airplane crashes into the Acropolis Tower. There are just too much dollars out there.
TW

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:What Banks closed? Kidding me?

Keith R: The fact that your mother-in-law was either foolish or tried to outsmart local con men does not mean the banking system in DR was or is shaky. Remember, your mother opted to get involved in a one-branch type mom and pop bank. Give me the name of the bank and I will tell you the name of the con man. The 1980s also was an international bank disaster in all countries and it was just a whimper here.

As far as her having to wait ten years...what did you expect? Instant remuneration? Since when does the FDIC pay right away for failing banks in the US?

When you refer to that bank you dont want to mention, let me say it for you...Popular? Well, doesnt it make you feel better that you say the government and the Central Bank intervened and saved the situation? And what now, Banco Popular is one of the biggest and solid banks in DR. Besides, a rumor, like in any other place in the world can cause havoc in the money industry.

Bolsa de Valores unsafe? well, even U.S. Bonds are not totally safe. Is your US social security safe with money from its kitty being used by Bush for Afghanistan and Bush playing the stock market with it? My man, if you screw up with a 30 or 60 day certificate you ought to be beaten with sticks. Of course, we got plenty of amateurs who get into this line of business and put their life savings and when they end up in the gutter they blame the system. As for Hipolito, yes he is trying to screw up the economy, but he might not even be able to do it, even trying.
DR economy is for real man.Estos Dominican Yorks son muy comparones y van a seguir gastando, and US consumers are going to continue using some of our best services: Excellent drug traffic bridges,excellent money laundering schemes,great sex,incredible weather and beaches at cheap prices,great stolen cars and parts, great counterfeit products,incredible smuggling techniques, false documentation expertise, Haitian hunger for our products,and all kinds of other hidden economic boosters that dont shown in the Banco Central stats.And Americans love it.
TW

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: THIS IS A CALL TO ALL THE DR LOVERS

Dominican Papi: I keep trying all the time and anything you do I am willing to support. We just have to keep plugging. And foreign tourists should also play their part, specially Canadians who have an increasing Haitian migration that is causing a great deal of problems and danger to their health. Canada is one of Haitis biggest boosters against Dominican Republic. How is that possible when Canadians enjoy so much of our sun, Do they want to destroy our beaches? Our biggest enemy is a French priest Father Ruquoy! Where are our French tourist friends defending the beaches they use so much? Cuba is also having problems with Haitians. The Bahamas, a defenseless nation without a good large army soon will lose their national status to Haitians. Haitians will soon be a majority there if they dont do something about it.

TW

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Note of interest on Peso exchange

The amounts floating in from abroad and in the country exceed this any factors. There is just too much money out there now.
TW

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Jefe i'm not ready to be President yet, so....

I am too honest to be President.
TW

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: See you in 6 months

People need to know how to swim in calm and troubled waters. I usually like troubled waters. Thats where profits are. Look for panickers and eat the alive. That is why Venezuela is a good bet right now. That is why some Dominicans are becoming millionaires in Haiti.
TW

L

Loren

Dont forget remittances

that will keep pouring into the country no matter what the D.R economy does, in fact if the economy tanks, remittances should increase, and that is free hard currency into the country!

Why do you think Hipolito encouraged everyone to get gringo citizenship!?