new dominican airline to arrive

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
flycana aims to be the first low-cost dominican airline with flights as low as 49 bucks (plus taxes and so on) to NYC.
http://z101digital.com/articulos/na...aerolinea-de-bajo-coste-dominicana-05-15-2018

I can see it now..... $49.00 plus an additional charge for every bag, which in the case of most Dominicans will end up making it more expensive than traditional airlines like JetBlue. This airline will be abused by locals who will try to bring everything including the kitchen sink back to the Island. Sounds a lot like Spirit and their track record is terrible. I'll believe this when I see it function for a year or two.

Jan 9, 2004
Let's not forget that there are also other markets. If they find that PUJ to ROC is making money they will fly there... Direct flight. They don't pretend to be hub airline like PAWA wanted to be. Targeted point to point routes. All USA airlines fly from one or two gateways to the DR. What I believe could be sucecsfull is for example once or twice weekly PUJ to ROC for example (I haven't researched that route so it's just something I made up). It could be Detroit, Kansas City, whatever... The point is it will be point to point flying, and not every day most likely for most of the routes. Plus they could fly to Central and South America, tickets there are very expensive. Dominicans can now go to Colombia Perú and Brazil without visa. I see them opening some routes there. Plus there is a strong demand to the DR from those countries, enough to have several weekly flights to each and actually fill them.

@playacribe2... Yes, pilots will be an issue. A super Airfleets.net, they have 1 x A320. I suppose they are staffed for those. They can very well start with that one, but I expect them to get one more A320 before they do. They don't need more to start, and for that one additional aircraft they would need 8 to 10 pilots if we calculate with 10 to 12 hour daily utilization @ 30 days and 80 hours per pilot. I think they can get 10 pilots by the end of the year.

Everyone needs to take these press releases with reserve. Viva Colombia is at 12 aircraft after 9 years with tremendous growth and huge aviation amekrt in Colombia. Viva Perú had 2 now 1 x A320. Those 25 aircraft are a dream but reality will be about half of that in 8 to 10 years given this market.

Because this market has one very serious problem that causes impediment to more traffic, same problem as Canada has... Huge taxes. Just look at this Wingo PUJ BOG PUJ screenshot below... Taxes are 150% of base fare, and taxes do not include any ridiculous hidden fuel surcharges as is frequently the case with other airlines.
7TTxKDI.jpg

To your point somewhat, they will likely have more success in flying in the Caribbean and/or South America.

But with one current A320, how successful can they become? And increasing the fleet to 5 A320’s will increase their capital costs exponentially.

Hopefully they have a better plan than PAWA, or even their prior namesake DominicanWings. 

The initial press release talked about $49 flights....and then mentions New York in the same sentence.....it is at that point their credibility went out the window.

Good luck to them.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Another airline to the US - Just what this market needs.

I don't want to pay less. I want to pay more for newer well maintained planes, a professional crew that doesn't find it necessary to entertain the passengers with jokes and a song, a decent on board food service, and most importantly a better class of well behaved passengers. I don't see any of this with flycana.

This island needs more flights to places like Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba, central america etc. Another flight to NY, please shoot me now.

If they want to charge super low fares like $49, I'd pay that to fly to Santo Domingo or Punta Cana instead of taking the bus any day of the week. This country needs a milk run airline between the 5 main population zones not another flight north. For that price, I'd even take more frequent overnight trips around the DR just for fast food and a change of scenery.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Another airline to the US - Just what this market needs.

I don't want to pay less. I want to pay more for newer well maintained planes, a professional crew that doesn't find it necessary to entertain the passengers with jokes and a song, a decent on board food service, and most importantly a better class of well behaved passengers. I don't see any of this with flycana.

This island needs more flights to places like Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba, central america etc. Another flight to NY, please shoot me now.

If they want to charge super low fares like $49, I'd pay that to fly to Santo Domingo or Punta Cana instead of taking the bus any day of the week. This country needs a milk run airline between the 5 main population zones not another flight north. For that price, I'd even take more frequent overnight trips around the DR just for fast food and a change of scenery.

Aeromexico has good offer now, I booked SDQ - CUN - SDQ for 465.00 dollars, to Mexico City the offer is 365.00 Dollars, was checking same dates with Copa and was 787.00 Dollars. At least with Flycana being a Dominican they wont charge you the 10.00 Us turist card. I need to apply now for a refound at DGII website because I was charged with 10.00 dollars for turist card to Dominican Republic.

Feb 7, 2007
Wow nice find Riva, US$359.30 SDQ MEX SDQ that's really good deal. I just might visit DF again after so many years!

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
JetBlue is not low cost airline any more, we could say yes to Spirit and Southwest, and Southwest serve only Punta Cana airport where the 99% of the pax are turist and come with vacation package.

Will not be surprised if USA carrier Allegiant starts serving the Caribbean soon. They are the most profitable carrier, I believe globally.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Wow nice find Riva, US$359.30 SDQ MEX SDQ that's really good deal. I just might visit DF again after so many years!

If you wants to go catch that prices comparing with actual prices on Copa, is very good deal, both destinations. I have Mexican visa that will expire in 2022 and stamped in a expired passport and Canadian Visa, so I will ask them wich one they want. hahahah.

I think the prices with Flycana will be more or less around 400.00 dollars, my ticket price was 260.00 US$ and plust taxes went up to 465.00 US$.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
They will be strictly inspected after 1 accident and 2 more incidents, lets hope they will survive.

They are phasing out the old MD 80s, which is where they had some issues. The ordered 30 Airbus A320s. So later this year they will be 100% Airbus. Hopefully they will be fine, they have never had a fatality in 20 years. Spirit has a really modern fleet.

Jan 9, 2004
Will not be surprised if USA carrier Allegiant starts serving the Caribbean soon. They are the most profitable carrier, I believe globally.

I am not surprised that they are the most profitable..........they have such a shoddy record of maintenance....and likely saving money foregoing it

They have had so many mid-air engine mechanical issues...it is a small wonder they have not lost a plane yet.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
They are phasing out the old MD 80s, which is where they had some issues. The ordered 30 Airbus A320s. So later this year they will be 100% Airbus. Hopefully they will be fine, they have never had a fatality in 20 years. Spirit has a really modern fleet.

No the last 3 problems has been with mothern planes

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Its very curious what you are telling because the last accident where a woman died after being sucked thru de Windows wasn't MD, and the 2 Emergency landing wasn't MD neither.

Jan 9, 2004
No the last 3 problems has been with mothern planes

Let’s hope if that Allegiant were to expand into the DR......they do a better job of maintenance........

https://www.ktnv.com/video/archives/98-mechanical-problems-found-in-allegiant-airplanes-in-5-months

Their lack of maintenance is well chronicled.....and the show “60 minutes” did quite an eye opener piece regarding Allegiant.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/flyer-beware-60-minutes-allegiant-air-investigation/

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

That's depends on how big is your fleet, not the same have 6 incidents with 25 aircrafts than to have 6 incidents with 200 aircrafts.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
[video=youtube;3aRn7ZA4P6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aRn7ZA4P6Q[/video]

The video is in Spanish only, but they express their goals for 2023. Among them:

- 28 Airbus 320 planes
- 5.5 million travellers a year
- 1,200 direct jobs
- More than 13,000 indirect jobs
- Service more than 50 international destinations from the Dominican Republic

The guy with the pink shirt speaks with an accent typical of upper middle class Mexicans from Mexico City. It's funny because I thought he lived in Peru developing a successful low cost airline.

The guy with the blue and white shirt speaks with a typical, albeit more refined, American accent.

The guy with the white shirt is Dominican. There's no way to hide that. lol

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In 1996 I traveled from Nassau to Havana on Cubana Air for a skydiving event in Cuba. When we boarded we were greeted by the Captain. A fat guy smoking a Cuban cigar. A stewardess looked you over for weight and told you front or back of the plane. At this point I was wishing that my parachute was on the plane and not in my checked baggage.

When we landed the whole plane broke into applause.