NEW DRIVING REGULATIONS

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I spoke with AMET in Sosua yesterday and none of the new rules including the kit is being enforced at this point. AMET had no idea when it will be going into affect.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I spoke with AMET in Sosua yesterday and none of the new rules including the kit is being enforced at this point. AMET had no idea when it will be going into affect.

You're catching a break then. Here in San Pedro, they (Policia Nacional and AMET) have been enforcing the law morning, noon, and night since Tuesday, when the law went into effect. I know three motoconchos that had their motos confiscated. Two for no title (matricula), one for no helmet. Also, one of my neighbors was inspected for his auto papers and the safety kit (which he had). The law is probably being selectively enforced depending on areas within the country that have been designated problematic, and the respective regional commanders, not to mention north coasters had enough problems earlier this year with authorities for another reason.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
You're catching a break then. Here in San Pedro, they (Policia Nacional and AMET) have been enforcing the law morning, noon, and night since Tuesday, when the law went into effect. I know three motoconchos that had their motos confiscated. Two for no title (matricula), one for no helmet. Also, one of my neighbors was inspected for his auto papers and the safety kit (which he had). The law is probably being selectively enforced depending on areas within the country that have been designated problematic, and the respective regional commanders, not to mention north coasters had enough problems earlier this year with authorities for another reason.

Interesting. It would be nice to get more feedback on what is happening in other parts of the country.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
In the beginning I didn't know too much about it, and thought it was just another ex-pat scam. After talking with some people, I can see why it is necessary. I actually don't have a problem with it if it's truly about safety and combatting crime, and not just a money grab/shakedown. I'm tired of the robberies. I'm tired of the accidents. I'm tired of the deaths. Checking for the vehicle's (moto-pasola-car) papers is pretty much standard operating procedure in most places, and shouldn't be a problem for those that have their papers in order. Just keep a copy with you. The safety kits really aren't that much of a pain in the a**, keep them in your trunk, and you'll probably forget they are there. Helmets on the pasolas and motos should help with head injuries, as well as limiting the number of people who can climb on board these vehicles. Several other items that are being enforced are seatbelts ON for ALL car/jeep/truck passengers, no children sitting in front of such vehicle, no more than 2 people per pasola or moto, and no children on the front of these vehicles. The police here in San Pedro de Macoris have been wearing helmets on their motorcycles. Yes, it would be interesting to hear from other members across the country.

May 22, 2006
I read the Ley 63-17 and I don't found any infos about the security kit (first aid, triangle etc). Placa yes (Art.165)...
permiso conducir yes...marbete yes (Art.166,167...again, last year they say that is no more required)...
insurance yes (Art.216)... No more AMET now is INTRANT
Anyway...some parts of this law are not applicable. Nobody know how you will have the second plate ??????????????
How many dominicans have insurance, driving licence etc. The technical condition of the cars...WOW...some are realy
scrap on weels... But the law is there... Very funny

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Heard about the items needed a few years ago. But have always had these things since my first car so have them here too: first aid kit, reflective items, fire extinguisher, blanket, basic tools, jumper cables, small clean rags and changed flairs to small red blinking lights. Added a small tool that can break the windows and cut the seat belt in the front next to the driver along with a flash light. The rest are stored all over and now don't remember what is where?

Our insurance, obtained/renewed in Sosua this week, offered medi-vac emergency air lift here in the D.R. I think it was DP $1,500. Sticker on the windshield and on front bumper. Covers all passengers up to correct amount of seating.

Guess it's time to find everything and change batteries as needed. ;-)

Last edited:
May 22, 2006
Oh man...You look like a real Canadian guy...ready to go up nord. I speak about Dominican Rep. man, where
the Ron dominicano make you hot and happy... no need blanket ?!? You need to have that in your car BUT...be fastened. If you
have your belt around you nobody will stop you. Seriously now...
My insurance is with PATRIA(3000/year)...very good...don't insure nothing, but the AMET agent is happy (not)... no free
money for him.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
So far not one person on DR1 or that I've spoken too has been stopped and asked about the kit. So far it's always been "ya I know this person who got stopped...or my neighbor got stopped" Has any body in this country been stopped and or fined for not having the kit?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mentioned a few posts above by sanpedrogringo:

You're catching a break then. Here in San Pedro, they (Policia Nacional and AMET) have been enforcing the law morning, noon, and night since Tuesday, when the law went into effect

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, but Seamonkey's point is that nobody here has actually had FIRST HAND experience of being stopped and checked for the kit. It's only what people have heard from others.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Heard about the items needed a few years ago. But have always had these things since my first car so have them here too: first aid kit, reflective items, fire extinguisher, blanket, basic tools, jumper cables, small clean rags and changed flairs to small red blinking lights. Added a small tool that can break the windows and cut the seat belt in the front next to the driver along with a flash light. The rest are stored all over and now don't remember what is where?

Our insurance, obtained/renewed in Sosua this week, offered medi-vac emergency air lift here in the D.R. I think it was DP $1,500. Sticker on the windshield and on front bumper. Covers all passengers up to correct amount of seating.

Guess it's time to find everything and change batteries as needed. ;-)

I didn't do nor needed to do anything to meet the new requirements. To me it was normal and what I had been taught to do and "be ready" when I bought my new; 8 years old, 1958 T-bird. Some items on the list were not even available so didn't have then but with each new car made sure I had what was available. Back THEN... blowing a hose or minor breakdowns was kinda expected and I was pretty handy at fixing things as long as I had some basic items. Coarse ground pepper could plug a small radiator leak and the blanket was used to cover the hot water from spaying all over the engine and me while I waited for it to cool. Sparkplug socket to remove a plug and a knife to take off the carbon and put back in or to inspect and adjust the rotor/points. Blanket to put down so I could sneak under the car with more comfort and stay clean or to use under my knees while changing a tire. How many times have I needed jumper cables for myself or another? First Aid kit used many times for little things but glad to have had it.

I have used everything that I have noted above, including using the fire extinguisher helping a man put out a small house fire.

The Blanket? Again? Used for going to the beach or on a picnic. Also covers the back carpet in our SUV to save the carpet. It can be used to drag another person that can not move on their own and with others can better carry them and serves as a little buffer while being transported in the back of a pickup truck. Not that it would help much in a fire but it might do a little and that may be all that you need. It can be used to help gain traction on a spinning tire when stuck. It can be cut/torn and used as bandage/compress material. In worse case... it can be used to cover another that did not make it. Blankets have more uses other then to keep you warm. Sometimes it can hide a couple that don't want others to see. ;-)

So the whole emergency thing for me is not about the law. It's about being ready and able. Just the way I am.

I hope that I never have to report on the new emergency air lift and if/how it works. But it's just another possible tool in my toolbox.

So does that blanket sound a little more fun now? lol

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
So, does anyone have any updates on this? Was it just a flash in the pan, designed to make gringos spend money, or are AMET actually asking to see these items? I still don't know of anyone who has been asked to prove they have them.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
This is all BS, how about having motorcycle drivers have a drivers license and insurance mandatory, and AMET enforce helmets EVERY DAY, and if a driver does not have a valid ownership. put them in jail when they get stopped. how about lights also be mandatory.

Well, I'll say this: a driver hit my rental and took the front bumper about a 1.5 years ago, and I held the bike until AMET came. He lacked the papers, plate, and a cedula. He wanted to ride the bike home to get them. LOL. In any event AMET took him and the bike to the station, and confiscated the bike. They wanted me to return for a hearing. I told them that I wasn't interested in prosecuting the guy, I just needed a police report for the insurance company. They released the guy sans bike. Now, of course, I got a ticket the following day for an illegal left turn to Kennedy.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
You're catching a break then. Here in San Pedro, they (Policia Nacional and AMET) have been enforcing the law morning, noon, and night since Tuesday, when the law went into effect.

That's funny, because San Pedro is the only place that I know where PN enforces traffic matters. I was stopped in a rental, and decided to just speak English as the shotgun pointed in my direction. The guy in charge starts laughing and says, "Pasa, pasa."

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
How many dominicans have insurance, driving licence etc. The technical condition of the cars...WOW...some are realy
scrap on weels... But the law is there... Very funny

Yes, yes it is. It reminds me when i was stopped for jaywalking across a main street in downtown Columbus, Ohio many years ago. There was not a car for blocks. When I denied knowledge of such laws because I came from a large city, the kind mounted patrolman instructed me that every jurisdiction has laws like that, so that it can collect revenue from people like me who don't know the law. I had to laugh and give him his due. I only got a warning. One of my classmates spent the night in jail a few days later for telling a patrolman that "surely he has something better to do with his time." The judge was not amused, as my classmate was facing a few days and a fine. I plan to comply with this new tax, I mean regulation.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
That is amazing. A night in jail just for saying that. If you would know what they say and shout to the Dutch officers..

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
That is amazing. A night in jail just for saying that. If you would know what they say and shout to the Dutch officers..

The charge was failure to obey a lawful order of a law enforcement officer to remove oneself from the street. When the individual made his statement it amounted to an unlawful refusal. Fortunately, he got a break, but was warned by the municipal judge not to let it happen again. I still laugh over 20 years later.