New Here ! Need Advice

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
Noted in your original post,your destination is Infiniti Blue which is in Sosua not Puerto Plata. When agreeing on the price of a taxi ride its important to give the correct destination to avoid overcharge. Safe travels.

Great advice!!! You all are so helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I used to do that run quite a bit. I'd charge $60 or so for the 60 mile trip no matter what hour of the day or night. But i am no longer in the country. My recommendation is to take a taxi to the nearest Cabana. Which will cost you 600 pesos to get there. They are mostly for illicit sexual encounters, but for about 500 pesos for 4 hour you can stay until morning. Arrange for the taxi to pick you up 4 hours later when the buses are running and have him take you to the closest of the two Caribe Tours bus stations. Your hotel should have free service to pick you up from the Puerto Plata Caribe Tours bus station.
Der Fish
Excellent advice, apart from the unnecessary mention of "illicit sexual encounters" which could only serve to alarm the OP. But otherwise very practical and economical.

Note to OP: Cabanas are clean and comfortable with good security. So are Caribe Tours and Metro buses. No need to pay through the nose for a taxi.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I'll take the bait.
1. Don't travel at night.
2. Don't rent a car.
3. Don't use Uber.
4. Yes, stay in Santiago that 1st night, because, see #1. Somebody here will be able to recommend a good place to stay in la Segunda Capital (Santiago).
5. Somebody here, can recommend public transport or a taxi company which can take you from Santiago to Infiniti Blu.
6. Mistakes and accidents happen, but be careful here on out, because you're traveling to a foreign country. You need to be on point with things. Even the small, annoying things.
7. Be careful.
8. Have fun.
9. Stay safe.

I agree with most of what you wrote but "don't use Uber " Get a taxi? I would strongly disagree with this advice. I live in Santiago and since my truck is in the shop until i recently rented a vehicle I was using UBER and overall the experience was very good. I even had 2 regular taxi drivers but why pay double? The Uber cars are all very clean late model cars and you know up front how much you will pay. IMHO Uber is SOOOOO much better than taxi service in this country.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I agree with most of what you wrote but "don't use Uber " Get a taxi? I would strongly disagree with this advice. I live in Santiago and since my truck is in the shop until i recently rented a vehicle I was using UBER and overall the experience was very good. I even had 2 regular taxi drivers but why pay double? The Uber cars are all very clean late model cars and you know up front how much you will pay. IMHO Uber is SOOOOO much better than taxi service in this country.

See Post #16 and 20. You've had boots on the ground for a while. This is a first time visitor, who already had a slight problem booking a flight.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
See Post #16 and 20. You've had boots on the ground for a while. This is a first time visitor, who already had a slight problem booking a flight.

I understand what you are saying but not sure you are better off with Taxi drivers. I have come very close to physical altercations numerous times in the past, especially in the capitol when they thought because of my gringo accent they could over charge me. I would insist they call dispatch (which they did NOT like) and 95% of the time I was correct on the cost of the trip. Uber not only lets you know pretty much up front but also has GPS so the customer's phone records shows exactly where they went.
Am I missing something that leads you to believe the Cab drivers are better/safer?

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I understand what you are saying but not sure you are better off with Taxi drivers. I have come very close to physical altercations numerous times in the past, especially in the capitol when they thought because of my gringo accent they could over charge me. I would insist they call dispatch (which they did NOT like) and 95% of the time I was correct on the cost of the trip. Uber not only lets you know pretty much up front but also has GPS so the customer's phone records shows exactly where they went.
Am I missing something that leads you to believe the Cab drivers are better/safer?

It's a matter of Taxis being a bit better organized in my opinion and can and should be taken from the Taxi stand at the airports. The same can be said for Uber drivers as far as altercations go. I can give you many stories. It's only advice and the OP should weigh all opinions very carefully.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's a matter of Taxis being a bit better organized in my opinion and can and should be taken from the Taxi stand at the airports. The same can be said for Uber drivers as far as altercations go. I can give you many stories. It's only advice and the OP should weigh all opinions very carefully.

I live here in Santiago. I recommend Uber. Taxi drivers are going to over charge you
and you will end up paying more with no one to hear your complaints. At least with Uber
you have the option to leave a customer experience review which, for better or worse,
will have an impact on the drivers ability to earn a living.

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017

Uh I did not have a problem booking the flight the airline ONLY flys to Santiago so I figured I would stay there but my folks want to go where the water is and that's in Sousa

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
OP, I only mentioned slight problem because in your opening post you stated, "We mistakinglt booked our Flint to fly into Santiago". It sounded like a slight problem, but hey, no problem. As far as which transportation option you decide to choose, you'll receive many good suggestions here, and it's ultimately up to you. I do think that most of us would agree that traveling at night is a no-no, so many here will also be able to steer you in the direction of a decent hotel in Santiago.
For the Uber vs taxi discussion, if members want to discuss it further in PM's, or on one of the many Uber threads, I'd be happy to, but I don't want the OP's thread to go off in a different direction.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
There is no reason to get a Hotel at that hour of the night .. Just get a Cabana as suggested before.. Some of them are really nice.. you might get a kick out of the experience.. they will even bring Beer to you , and coffee in the morning. there is a little revolving door they use, its pretty comical.. u will love it .
Then in the AM, , take a taxi to Metro Bus station, you are almost there .. once you are on the bus, take another Nap and before you know it you will arrive in Sosua by the Texaco Station,, from there they should be able to pick you up, you cant quite walk to Infinity blu, but you almost could ... down and back up Calle Dr Rosen, hang a left at Martinez by Bon Ice cream. just a short way down Martinez after Bologna Restaurant , you will see Infinity blu they also have a Restaurant there as well..
Easy peasy.. dont stress it any more than that .

I would not recommend driving to Sosua at that time of night , nor a taxi. unless you know the taxi driver ....
Anything can happen at night...especially since you new to all of this.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello DR1 Fam!

I'm a Tex's girl that will be visiting Puerto Plata in Jan but wanted to get a head start on the planning. We mistakinglt booked our Flint to fly into Santiago 😳 And would like info on the following 

: should we travel to Puerto Plata at night? Our flight lands after midnight in Santiago 

: should we rent a car or get an Uber r other means of public transportation 

: if we stay in Santiago, what's a good clean up to date Hotel to stay for a night?

:We will be staying at Infiniti Blu (any advice for us regarding this place)?

Thanks for all the help guys hopefully things will go snooothly for us being that we booked the wrong airport 😂 

You say your flight lands after midnight. That is if it is one time? At that time of day it probably won't take you very long to get through customs and immigration. Figure on 45 minutes to get your luggage and walk out of the airport. I would do two things. First, notify your hotel in POP that you will be arriving very late so they know that you will be checking in in the middle of the night. Second try to hire a car and driver in advance to drive you immediately to your hotel. It makes little sense to taxi to a hotel for a few hours when you can pay someone to safely get you there the same night. Make sure when you book your taxi you tell the driver that it will be round trip and you will need him for the return trip. Do you speak Spanish? This would certainly be helpful. Good luck and good travels.

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
You say your flight lands after midnight. That is if it is one time? At that time of day it probably won't take you very long to get through customs and immigration. Figure on 45 minutes to get your luggage and walk out of the airport. I would do two things. First, notify your hotel in POP that you will be arriving very late so they know that you will be checking in in the middle of the night. Second try to hire a car and driver in advance to drive you immediately to your hotel. It makes little sense to taxi to a hotel for a few hours when you can pay someone to safely get you there the same night. Make sure when you book your taxi you tell the driver that it will be round trip and you will need him for the return trip. Do you speak Spanish? This would certainly be helpful. Good luck and good travels.

We will have traveled the majority of the day, I personally would like to shower and relax some place nice clean quiet and comfortable . I booked a bed and breakfast spot that seems to be all of the above. We should sleep till 2pm wake up take a bus r Uber to Sousa and that's that.

My sister wants to hang out at the airport till Sunrise but that ain't happening lol

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
There is no reason to get a Hotel at that hour of the night .. Just get a Cabana as suggested before.. Some of them are really nice.. you might get a kick out of the experience.. they will even bring Beer to you , and coffee in the morning. there is a little revolving door they use, its pretty comical.. u will love it .
Then in the AM, , take a taxi to Metro Bus station, you are almost there .. once you are on the bus, take another Nap and before you know it you will arrive in Sosua by the Texaco Station,, from there they should be able to pick you up, you cant quite walk to Infinity blu, but you almost could ... down and back up Calle Dr Rosen, hang a left at Martinez by Bon Ice cream. just a short way down Martinez after Bologna Restaurant , you will see Infinity blu they also have a Restaurant there as well..
Easy peasy.. dont stress it any more than that .

I would not recommend driving to Sosua at that time of night , nor a taxi. unless you know the taxi driver ....
Anything can happen at night...especially since you new to all of this.

So what exactly is a cabana ? It sounds like a Whore House

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, it's not.

Usually very clean... always affordable.
They are keyed to 4 hr visits but accept longer for a slight increase.

In my area, on long weekends , they are filled with family's staying at the beach....
children playing , etc............. not always that way, but can be at times.

It will be an interesting sight to see 2 women checking in.....
hahahaha

Would that I were a fly on the wall.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
They are places where Dominicans go to cheat on their wives and girlfriends and where their wives go to cheat on them.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
We will have traveled the majority of the day, I personally would like to shower and relax some place nice clean quiet and comfortable . I booked a bed and breakfast spot that seems to be all of the above. We should sleep till 2pm wake up take a bus r Uber to Sousa and that's that.

My sister wants to hang out at the airport till Sunrise but that ain't happening lol

I doubt you would be allowed to stay the rest of the night in the airport. A cabana is a 4 hour hotel. One can pay for the entire night, but their usual use is for short stays.
Der Fish

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
My experience has been that no one has to know who is checking in. You enter the gate, drive into an open garage, the garage door closes, you enter the room, someone comes to the service window for check in. If you want to sleep until 2PM it's most probably preferable to a bed and breakfast. The Dominican Republic is not known for its quiet neighborhoods, and (again by my limited experience) the room in a cabana will be well shielded form outside light. You can BYOW(s) if you want, but none are provided.
No, it's not.

Usually very clean... always affordable.
They are keyed to 4 hr visits but accept longer for a slight increase.

In my area, on long weekends , they are filled with family's staying at the beach....
children playing , etc............. not always that way, but can be at times., bIt will be an interesting sight to see 2 women checking in.....
hahahaha

Would that I were a fly on the wall.

TXgirl2017

May 8, 2017
TEXAS!

Hi, I am from Dallas. Where are you from? I have been living here in Puerto Plata since May 1.

Hello DR1 Fam!

I'm a Tex's girl that will be visiting Puerto Plata in Jan but wanted to get a head start on the planning. We mistakinglt booked our Flint to fly into Santiago 😳 And would like info on the following 

: should we travel to Puerto Plata at night? Our flight lands after midnight in Santiago 

: should we rent a car or get an Uber r other means of public transportation 

: if we stay in Santiago, what's a good clean up to date Hotel to stay for a night?

:We will be staying at Infiniti Blu (any advice for us regarding this place)?

Thanks for all the help guys hopefully things will go snooothly for us being that we booked the wrong airport 😂 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So what exactly is a cabana ? It sounds like a Whore House

Trust us, you would be treated with respect .. .Especially 2 gringas checking in.. they would be delighted to have you... they are pretty clean..
one mistake on my post before, you hang a right on Martinez at Bon Ice cream , not a left ... to get to infinity blu, but any taxi guy will know it ...should be not more than 200 pesos.