New Member- From NYC

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
word of advice.. I know you have "studied" the USA a lot but dont give up the US citizenship
just yet...

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
word of advice.. I know you have "studied" the USA a lot but dont give up the US citizenship
just yet...

just curious.
as a US-born Dual Citizen, wouldn't he havethat dual citizenship for life anyways?
so nothing to give up on, he is in the great position to move between those 2 countries freely as a citizen of both and choose what ever suits the own personal taste best of both sides.

Mike

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Well I am a dual citizen so... I think so? I'm not sure. :ermm:

IF, you haven't applied for Dominican citizenship, I don't think you are a dual citizen due to the fact you was born in the US. Being of Dominican decent does not automatically transmit Dominican citizenship. The children of Dominican parents born outside of the country can apply for official citizenship once they turn 18. Once granted, if you was born in the US, you would be considered a dual citizen (US-DR).

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
dual citizens have a birth certificate from each of the 2 countries.
at least that's how it worked with my Daughter.
born in the DR, mother dominican, father german.
from birth (registration of birth on) dominican birth certificate,
and since i registered her as a german citizen she also has a german birth certificate.
the same as tmnyc described above, she had to apply (me as the father had to apply for her) for the german citizenship to be included in the registry there in germany, otherwise she would not have dual citizenship even that she is the daughter of a german father.

Mike

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Both DR and America allow for dual citizenship. I'm not giving up anything.

The U.S. does not exactly "allow" dual citizenship, it merely recognizes that dual nationality exists. The US gov't does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

"A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality. However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality."

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
IF, you haven't applied for Dominican citizenship, I don't think you are a dual citizen due to the fact you was born in the US. Being of Dominican decent does not automatically transmit Dominican citizenship. The children of Dominican parents born outside of the country can apply for official citizenship once they turn 18. Once granted, if you was born in the US, you would be considered a dual citizen (US-DR).
-by the Dominican government. See post #29.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
So another Dominican with a self aggrandizing handle "Sovereign". That says it all. Someone who has not been successful in the USA. He remembers the last time that he was relevant, when he had a middle class childhood complete with maids and beach vacations. He has been able to scrape some pennies together to fly jet blue or spirit and has read some Che Guevara books. He should stay in the USA where he has a chance of success. If you cant make it there you are dreaming of lost opportunities in the RD where we eat our young to get ahead.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
this is one of the best postings i have read in this site for years. Soverinh, if you are ever in the country any time soon, please pm me so we can have a beverage together and shoot the breeze.

i spend my early mornings sitting at a beachside cafe, having a liesurely breakfast in peace and quiet, taking in an ocean breeze. it costs me pennies. to do the same in a place like NY would cost an arm and a leg. only the independently wealthy can eat in oceanfront eateries there.

An ocean breeze with a stench of human fecal matter, while fending off Haitian kids that want to shine your shoes. The food is quite likely not hygienic and can cause serious illness. But hey if thats your thing ....

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
So another Dominican with a self aggrandizing handle "Sovereign". That says it all. Someone who has not been successful in the USA. He remembers the last time that he was relevant, when he had a middle class childhood complete with maids and beach vacations. He has been able to scrape some pennies together to fly jet blue or spirit and has read some Che Guevara books. He should stay in the USA where he has a chance of success. If you cant make it there you are dreaming of lost opportunities in the RD where we eat our young to get ahead.

that's your assumptions.
why do you insult a new poster even that you know nothing about him?
you are def the kinda dominican whom to know would be a reason to not visit this country.

Mike

Soverihn

May 17, 2015
Thanks for the info. So I'd need to fill out the paper work then the next time I visit.
The U.S. does not exactly "allow" dual citizenship, it merely recognizes that dual nationality exists. The US gov't does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

"A U.S. national may acquire foreign nationality by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. national may not lose the nationality of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another nationality does not risk losing U.S. nationality. However, a person who acquires a foreign nationality by applying for it may lose U.S. nationality. In order to lose U.S. nationality, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. nationality."
So there's a potential that I can keep both but its not guaranteed for one citizenship to cancel out the other. Still worth a shot.

So another Dominican with a self aggrandizing handle "Sovereign". That says it all. Someone who has not been successful in the USA. He remembers the last time that he was relevant, when he had a middle class childhood complete with maids and beach vacations. He has been able to scrape some pennies together to fly jet blue or spirit and has read some Che Guevara books.
>Projecting this much

Seriously? That's your argument.

Look Im not gonna take this personally- I got better things to be upset about, but to give context (and because I love arguing at times)... my family wasn't doing all that great in DR either. They were from a solidly working class background. No maids, no vacation, nothing of the sort.

They expected to come to the US to get a better life and well... they didn't. Their college degrees didn't matter in the US; they didn't speak English well and thus had a difficulty acclimating and nor did the American state make any effort to accommodate them. I went form living in a house in Rio San Juan to a tiny apartment in the Bronx. Wages were low too, just like in DR. See, the problem is that living costs were much higher, which leads to a massive decrease in spending power, and in effect, quality of life.

...So why stay?

He should stay in the USA where he has a chance of success.

I'm not trying to make it in the US; I'm trying to get out. I'm not gonna lie, I could stay in the US. I could get a nice job, preferably working in the bureaucracy or the foreign affairs department or some other government thing- you know, things that give me a chance for success (one thats far less likely to happen if I weren't an immigrant or had an Anglo name and assimilated)... but I don't want to. Once I get what I need, I'm out.

If you cant make it there you are dreaming of lost opportunities in the RD where we eat our young to get ahead.

You... do realize that the Dominican Republic is the second largest economy (barely behind Cuba; 62 billion vs 68 billion in terms of GDP [1]) in the Caribbean and that its been undergoing an absolutely massive growth in this past decade?

I mean, from 2004 to 2015, the economy has basically tripled and GDP per capita has nearly doubled (just in case you want to argue with the whole "but only the oligarchs have been benefitting line!") and has been having its unemployment rate steadily shrink over these past few years.

dominican-republic-unemployment-rate.png

dominican-republic-gdp.png

Then there's the whole massive improvements in infrastructure that the state's been investing in, attempts to break out of the traditional policies of isolationism, the rise in HDI (we're now labeled as part of the 'high development countries' according to the UN). DR has diplomatic relations with Iran, to give an example!

I don't failure here, I see opportunity. And well, with things getting more difficult in NYC as time passes its just easier for me to move back to DR and bring whatever skills I have over there, where:

a) competition is less
b) the cost of living is far left, meaning any money I earn is worth more, and
c) the climate and the culture is far better for me

As for the whole 'eating our young thing', this is literally everywhere on Earth. Only difference is if the welfare state is enough to cushion the blow.

[1] Basing this on Purchasing Power Parity, not the nominal system here

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
that's your assumptions.
why do you insult a new poster even that you know nothing about him?
you are def the kinda dominican whom to know would be a reason to not visit this country.

Mike

he insults a new poster because he is a self important guy, who thinks he is better than the average Dominican. this is Mr Country Club, remember, the guy who thinks he impresses anybody because he is probably from some family which is well known in the DR. dude, when you go to the USA, you will see how special you really are. when you get pulled over by a cop there, try telling him you have a country house in Jarabacoa.

Apr 7, 2014
Well...the country wont get better until you can inject new thinking into the pool of meatheads that are in an oversupply here.
The problem as I see it the people are too defeatist which leads to the shortsided, corrupted, shortterm and lazy thinking.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
This Bronx kid knows how to use our forum pretty well. Not bad.......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well...the country wont get better until you can inject new thinking into the pool of meatheads that are in an oversupply here.
The problem as I see it the people are too defeatist which leads to the shortsided, corrupted, shortterm and lazy thinking.

now that is some sage understanding right there. meathead is too mild a term for some of these guys. just yesterday, my buddy and i were driving along a section of road with a junction , ostensibly controlled by a stop sign. this guy just went through the stop sign without even blinking, and we both had to come to a screeching halt to avoid a collision. i asked him if he did not see the sign, and his response was that he was turning left, therefore he does not have to stop at the sign.

people here have a strange sense of logic that is all their own.

Apr 7, 2014
now that is some sage understanding right there. meathead is too mild a term for some of these guys. just yesterday, my buddy and i were driving along a section of road with a junction , ostensibly controlled by a stop sign. this guy just went through the stop sign without even blinking, and we both had to come to a screeching halt to avoid a collision. i asked him if he did not see the sign, and his response was that he was turning left, therefore he does not have to stop at the sign.

people here have a strange sense of logic that is all their own.

No...no...that is just stupid. That is a related issue though, people seem take pride in being stupid. Now...for the Bronx style Soverhin to really be a success he should write a manifesto for being productive. The people could HAVE it(not sure they would USE though).