New Member- From NYC

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Thanks for the info. So I'd need to fill out the paper work then the next time I visit.

So there's a potential that I can keep both but its not guaranteed for one citizenship to cancel out the other. Still worth a shot.

>Projecting this much

Seriously? That's your argument.

Look Im not gonna take this personally- I got better things to be upset about, but to give context (and because I love arguing at times)... my family wasn't doing all that great in DR either. They were from a solidly working class background. No maids, no vacation, nothing of the sort.

They expected to come to the US to get a better life and well... they didn't. Their college degrees didn't matter in the US; they didn't speak English well and thus had a difficulty acclimating and nor did the American state make any effort to accommodate them. I went form living in a house in Rio San Juan to a tiny apartment in the Bronx. Wages were low too, just like in DR. See, the problem is that living costs were much higher, which leads to a massive decrease in spending power, and in effect, quality of life.

...So why stay?

I'm not trying to make it in the US; I'm trying to get out. I'm not gonna lie, I could stay in the US. I could get a nice job, preferably working in the bureaucracy or the foreign affairs department or some other government thing- you know, things that give me a chance for success (one thats far less likely to happen if I weren't an immigrant or had an Anglo name and assimilated)... but I don't want to. Once I get what I need, I'm out.

You... do realize that the Dominican Republic is the second largest economy (barely behind Cuba; 62 billion vs 68 billion in terms of GDP [1]) in the Caribbean and that its been undergoing an absolutely massive growth in this past decade?

I mean, from 2004 to 2015, the economy has basically tripled and GDP per capita has nearly doubled (just in case you want to argue with the whole "but only the oligarchs have been benefitting line!") and has been having its unemployment rate steadily shrink over these past few years.

dominican-republic-unemployment-rate.png

dominican-republic-gdp.png

Then there's the whole massive improvements in infrastructure that the state's been investing in, attempts to break out of the traditional policies of isolationism, the rise in HDI (we're now labeled as part of the 'high development countries' according to the UN). DR has diplomatic relations with Iran, to give an example!

I don't failure here, I see opportunity. And well, with things getting more difficult in NYC as time passes its just easier for me to move back to DR and bring whatever skills I have over there, where:

a) competition is less
b) the cost of living is far left, meaning any money I earn is worth more, and
c) the climate and the culture is far better for me

As for the whole 'eating our young thing', this is literally everywhere on Earth. Only difference is if the welfare state is enough to cushion the blow.

[1] Basing this on Purchasing Power Parity, not the nominal system here

very nice to read that there are dominican posters who do their research and are really interested in the stuff, not just RFP's who just biach around about everything to cover their complete inability to bring their homecountry forward or manage to be any assett for the own people in any way. sounds to me(i don't know, just my impression by reading rfp posts since a while) like a kid of financially well off mid class family who never managed to do anything of value himself in life.
Florida will welcome that one, i wish him well there, but he may learn some unexpected real things of real life over there.
go ahead Soverihn, as you can read above, you are very welcome here. nobody, dominicans and gringos alike, give's a fukc on rfp postings. he does not even manage to really offend, as nobody here take's him for full, i wonder what americans in Fl will think about that new assett to their High Society. maybe he can become a Caddy at one of the Country Clubs where the spanish speaking real big shots hang out.

Mike

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Soverihn. You sure jumped right in the pool and started splashing around. Good for you.

May ask u a couple of things.

How should the American state have accommodated your parents? What should they/we/it have done? What was lacking? You described them as college grads and with limited English. What job in the U.S. Requires a college degree and does NOT also include a requirement to speak functional English? I can't think of one. You mentioned that they were low wage earners. Does that imply that the small apartment in Bronx was either directly subsidized with a partial section 8? Was it rent controlled? State accomodation
Did they take the subway to get to and from their low wage job? State accomodation. Did they/you go to a public library? State accomodation. Did you go to a public grade and high school? State accomodation?

The phrase you have in bold type "far less likely" is confusing. Are you saying that you have an advantage because you ARE an immigrant with an Anglo name? That paragraph confuses me. Are you suggesting that affirmative action will enable you to achieve your good job in a beauracacy? If so, then that is state accomodation?

You will find that absent labor DR is NOT that much cheaper, if you intend to live a lifestyle similar to a small apt in Bronx. In DR your family helps, but other than that you are on your own. No Uncle Sam to pay for anything. If you ain't gots money then You ain't gots nothin.

Not being patronizing, but you sound young. Pay some taxes, take a few lumps and then you will realize that it ain't all that easy to make the world perfect. And it all costs mucho dinero.

You say that your parents intentionally had you born in the U.S. to "take advantage of the 14th amendment." Please accept that represents a HUGE "state accomodation" as in your own words they took advantage. It makes me wonder what kind of visa your parents had. Were they tourist visas?

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Stick around. Read posts by NALS if you are interested in history.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Soverihn. You sure jumped right in the pool and started splashing around. Good for you.

How should the American state have accommodated your parents? What should they/we/it have done? What was lacking? You described them as college grads and with limited English. What job in the U.S. Requires a college degree and does NOT also include a requirement to speak functional English? I can't think of one. You mentioned that they were low wage earners. Does that imply that the small apartment in Bronx was either directly subsidized with a partial section 8? Was it rent controlled? State accomodation
Did they take the subway to get to and from their low wage job? State accomodation. Did they/you go to a public library? State accomodation. Did you go to a public grade and high school? State accomodation?

The phrase you have in bold type "far less likely" is confusing. Are you saying that you have an advantage because you ARE an immigrant with an Anglo name? That paragraph confuses me. Are you suggesting that affirmative action will enable you to achieve your good job in a beauracacy? If so, then that is state accomodation?

You will find that absent labor DR is NOT that much cheaper, if you intend to live a lifestyle similar to a small apt in Bronx. In DR your family helps, but other than that you are on your own. No Uncle Sam to pay for anything. If you ain't gots money then You ain't gots nothin.

Not being patronizing, but you sound young. Pay some taxes, take a few lumps and then you will realize that it ain't all that easy to make the world perfect. And it all costs mucho dinero.

You say that your parents intentionally had you born in the U.S. to "take advantage of the 14th amendment." Please accept that represents a HUGE "state accomodation" as in your own words they took advantage. It makes me wonder what kind of visa your parents had. Were they tourist visas?

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Stick around. Read posts by NALS if you are interested in history.

i have Soverihn figured out, to a degree. at least i hope so. i believe that what he is saying is that life in America is not life. it is existence with material trappings. that is why anyone who can find a way to get out will be at the nearest airport at the earliest moment.

i know. now someone is going to ask me why so many people want to go to the USA. the answer is to get some of the material trappings. then, when they get there, they wonder if it was worth it.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Kinda nosy ain't you? None of it is your business.
If the new kid answers these question everyone will rip him apart. I think he made a somewhat impressive introduction.
As a matter of fact this is getting to be another one of those long introductions where DR1's are waiting to pounce. Too many newbies have been chased off in intro threads.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that was sweet, dulce.
agreed on all points.
i like his introduction much more than the typical american introduction reads, "hey, i've been in da dominican twice, nice hotel, great people, wow what a culture. now i would move down there to live near my new love of my life whom i met at hotel, he is a hard working honest Man at the animation team.
can i do that on $500.- per month? of course i will work to add to the budget.
how much costs a hamburger at Wendy's?
btw, soverihn types here a way better english than a big %% of the educated native english speakers, that tell's to me a lot.

Mike

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
So let me get this right ...

This kid's parents scammed the tourist visa system to have an American child. They went to the Bronx (Villa Mella Norte) with the rest of "them", never learned the language and then wondered why they were not successful in assimilating into the greater culture. He is now a disenfranchised member of the underclass. His rants against the country that welcomed him with a warm protective embrace remind me of those of ISIS fighters leaving Europe

To his point though, things have improved economically in the last 15 years, anybody who doubts that or questions that has a personal agenda. Most Dominicans with prudence and common sense are in a better situation than they were a decade or two ago

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

This kid's parents scammed the tourist visa system to have an American child. They went to the Bronx (Villa Mella Norte) with the rest of "them", never learned the language and then wondered why they were not successful in assimilating into the greater culture. He is now a disenfranchised member of the underclass. His rants against the country that welcomed him with a warm protective embrace remind me of those of ISIS fighters leaving Europe

To his point though, things have improved economically in the last 15 years, anybody who doubts that or questions that has a personal agenda. Most Dominicans with prudence and common sense are in a better situation than they were a decade or two ago

thanks for an other nice laugh, i would really miss your crap if you ever leave the bord.
what a comparison, to european fidiots choining terrorist killers like ISIS.
it shows again that you have no clue about real life or the real world.
go to florida, i guess that's the only place where you can safely stay at one of those typical retirement houses, the ones which fly away in every storm and can be cheaply rebuilt within a short time afterwards.
the DR will get a big positive push forward once alikes as yours move north.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You know, rfp, I believe you've won the dubious award of 167 negative posts in almost 5 years here. We all know you hate DR and everything about it. Is it your mission in life to beat the rest of into submission?

You remind me of another guy who used to post here, Hernandez, his constant negativity earned him a permanent vacation.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
On second thought soverihn, please disregard my post.

I think it was a great introduction and I hope things work out well for you. Clearly an intelligent person who will make a positive contribution. I wish you well. Hope you stay around. I imagine your parents are quite proud of you.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
soverihn, go ahead and tell us more about your ideas and point of view, looks like i am not the only one who is interested to get such info. if we are too off from a "welcome to the bord" theme it may get moved to an other forum section, but that's nothing, important is that it stays open.
Rollout, behave. even that i agree on all counts, lol.
welcome back for a welcome, soverihn.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I thought I was dreaming...

I swear I saw a Knight in shining armor swoosh by on a white horse....

Like the resurrected Cdn_Gringo thread..... life after death..

will wonders never cease???

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the dominican dream?
from my point of view, and i am a selfish biach:
a huuuge Finca, of course right on da Beach,
with a docking area for a dozen nice yachts,
AND stricter Immigrations Laws Enforcement to not get bothered by that touristy and overstaying stuff walking by and asking questions like:
"how long are you here?"
answer: 20 years.
next question: "Do you like it?"
no more answers, thats the point where the Doberman's are allowed to walk themselves.
i am really close to my own dominican dream.
now i need just an idea how i bring da Finca in da hills and the boats at the Marina closer to each others.
and those lax unenforced immigrations laws of course.
i keep working onit, that's what dreams are there for, to look forward to one day maybe achieve something specific, or at least to come as close as possible to the original dream

Mike

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010