New Member with lots of Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Work as a Nurse here? Are you kidding?... I am in a related medical field and wouldnt even have a chance "working" here. Work in Canada, relax or volunteer here. The new RD immigration complexities may just save you from making a bad family relocation decision but if you are looking for living renting for awhile near the Ocean there are alot of nice safe villas/houses between Puerto Plata Sosua and Cabarete.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Dv8 is a nurse.... love her bed side manner. Owning property is a new one to me never herd that one befor. I was just thinking with a Romain man a few days ago he married a Cuban girl and is in the usa free and clear. Yes it cost him $16.000. He even is now deforced after 2 years. This is a little crazy that it Is now easer to get into a 1st world county then a 3ed world one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Property owners also qualify for Residency, in other words, if you buy a Villa or a Condo, you can apply..

are you talking about residencia por rentista? because it requires a certain income to be drawn from the property: A los fines de acogerse al r?gimen preferencial establecido en la Ley 171-07, los Pensionados o Jubilados y los Rentistas Extranjeros deber?n recibir un ingreso mensual de acuerdo a la escala siguiente: El monto m?nimo de ingreso para el Pensionado es de US $1,500.00 d?lares ? su equivalente en pesos, y el Rentista de US $2,000.00 ? el equivalente en pesos dominicanos.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
If the OP is not experienced in living here and unsure what area they want to live in how can they buy property without knowledge beforehand ? IE why most people should rent first here Yes or No ?

Ya, I understand that but the premise of her question was residency..

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
lets not change it into another thread on immigration issues. what will be will be. i would not advise to buy without renting regardless of immigration policies. i would also not advise to get residency unless the person is committed because even if they were capable of doing it themselves it is still a substantial ongoing cost, considering it's for the whole family.

donP always asks: why DR? i'm also curious. is this a caribbean fantasy or what? does OP have connection to DR? traveled here frequently? has other family members here? because if it is about the joys of tropical living then there are many alternative options.

I am not world traveled, but I do know people that my husband works with who either live in the dominican or who have travelled there frequently and love it. If you have ever lived in Canada, you would understand the reasoning one would want to move to a tropical island. Some may not understand that if they have had the luxury of being born and lived their life on an island and take this for granted. It doesn't matter where you live in this world... every country, city, state has their pro's and con's! This has been our life long dream to live in the Caribbean. We do not want to wait until we are old and retired make this happen! Yes there are many other choices... I have done my research, but they are all the same when it comes to gaining residency... lots of restrictions. The only ones I have found where residency is very easy is Belize (very under developed) and Nicaragua. I am contemplating this as I don't like the Pacific Ocean and it doesn't seem to be our type of lifestyle.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
This is why I was also planning a trip to visit for a week in July before we actually made the big move. We are trying to narrow it down the best areas, explore those and get a better feel to see where we could see our selves or not all.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Has the over stay fine been taken away? NO. Has it been rased up by 4?? NO.
till then I am wating to buy a wedding ring. Op call Gusman office.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
AWESOME!!! Just found out we are able to do this after all! You can buy any type of land to start residency. I found really cheap pieces of for land around $2000 - $5000! This is awesome..

Jul 28, 2014
This would be a perfect time for Cdn_Gringo to weigh in on the processes involved to get to the island as a resident

Bobby12

May 13, 2015
Your better question should be can you live here without papers, visa etc. there has been a lot of talk about this subject and a la lot of misinformation. There is and has always been an overstay tax. Not one word has been said about stopping this tax. Yes, the rules have changed, but if your not working, and getting income from a outside source and your not making trouble you will be fine. Opening a business, being able to drive after 90 days is another story. The over stay tax is a big source of income and is not going anywhere, and in fact been raised.

Just rent and see if you like it first. No reason to run off and get some type of res. you can just pay the overstays when you leave.
DR is not for everyone or even for most!
Welome to non paradise!!

Also living ocean front is not that great. Sure looks great but everything gets ruined and huge amounts of $$ is spent on constant maintenance.

Don't think you got my point, if you don't like it here why bother going through the whole res process. Figure out if you and your family will even like it!!

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
Not worried about the overstay tax. All I have to do is when I go there in July, I can pay cash for the property and get all papers for ownership completed. When I come back to Canada, I fill out the application here for residency. When we go down there in sept. we go on a tourist visa which is valid for 2 months and 1 entry and within the first 30 days of its validity we must submit our Provisional Residency Application in Santo Domingo.

Aug 6, 2006
The price of a house depends very much on location. It is certainly possible to find a detached typical Dominican house (CBS with a tin roof and a water tank atop it) for under 200K pesos (about US$4700) and then fix all the things about it that were in "perfect shape" according to the previous owner for about an equal amount in a smaller provincial city. This would be a two BR house with one bathroom and a kitchen and living room and "galeria" (porch ) of about 600 sq. ft. or 57 mt?
No AC, and a rudimentary two battery inversor. That would cost altogether around US $7000. But this would be in a typical Dominican barrio.
That is why you should rent first. You would not want to buy a home and then hate the neighbors because of their noisy dogs or stereos or habits of tuning motorcycles every night.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
No, like I said, I would purchase a very cheap piece of land... not a house. I would rent definitely until we were in the position to purchase a home. Hard to save to buy a home when you live in Canada and your monthly living expenses are $7500! Another reason why we want to get out of here soon, rather than later!

Status
Not open for further replies.