New Member with lots of Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Not worried about the overstay tax. All I have to do is when I go there in July, I can pay cash for the property and get all papers for ownership completed. When I come back to Canada, I fill out the application here for residency. When we go down there in sept. we go on a tourist visa which is valid for 2 months and 1 entry and within the first 30 days of its validity we must submit our Provisional Residency Application in Santo Domingo.

Do not buy property. Pay the over stay tax. Cheaper and is quite possible you will not even want to back after a long stay. I am Canadian and I truly hate, even dispise winter. It is still however one of the best countries to LIVE in the whole world. Have you even visited the DR before?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Sherry seems already decided.

Good Luck:

[video=youtube;Uybtn6ebG0I]x[/video]

Aug 6, 2006
The very cheap piece of land you buy needs to be where you want to live. You will find that West of SD property is cheaper. There will, however, be fewer people who speak English. The DR has mountains, beaches, deserts and swamps. What it lacks is snow, sleet and ice.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Having taught children who displayed behavorial problems after being moved from friends and family for a parents dream of a new locale, I must add consider those teenagers and how they will feel about the move before you make any definite plans.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
When it comes to the land, I am not looking to do anything with it, just as a means to get residency. Doesn't matter its location and you don't have to live near it, or on it. Just own it. In regards to living down there for 6 months, that would be great, but unfortunately impossible unless you have a temp. residency card. Nothing is finalized as this is something we are planning for. Like I mentioned, we will be coming down and visiting for a while to see if that is where we really want to move. If we do really like it, we are prepared to have the money to purchase a very cheap piece of land to get our foot in the door. Worse case scenario, we don't like after we move, my husband still has his work in Canada and we relocate back.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
No, like I said, I would purchase a very cheap piece of land... not a house. I would rent definitely until we were in the position to purchase a home. Hard to save to buy a home when you live in Canada and your monthly living expenses are $7500! Another reason why we want to get out of here soon, rather than later!
Sllloooooowwwwww Down please! Just so you know, even if you don't head the advise not to purchase property and do ot anyway, you won't get title right away. That process takes time, even when there are no issues. If you think getting a visa is a land mine, buying property on your first visit is a disaster waiting to happen. Just take a trip, pay the over stay fee and see how things go.

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
In regards to my children... we don't live near any family as it is so that is not an issue. My son (16) is Autistic and his way of communication at this present moment with the friends he has is via Skype. He sits at a computer most of the time and having an environment that allows us to pull him away from this (like the ocean, water sports, ziplining, etc.) would do him a lot of good! My daughter.. well she's a social butterfly and makes friends with child her age no matter where we go. Yes, she will be able to see her friends nearly as often, but we do plan on visiting everyone annually. We have discussed this with our kids and yes they are happy and sad at the same time.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, welcome to DR1!

You've gotten some very good advice thus far, some of it from folks who were in your shoes not too long ago.

My advice would be: take a deep breath, and slow down.

Lots of people are super excited when they decide to move someplace new, but as this decision will affect your entire family, it's best to consider a few things:

Do you really want to move there? I mean, DR in particular, vs. some general spot in the caribbean? The only way to make sure is to travel there and stay for a while. And NOT as a tourist, rent a apartment and stay put for, say, the summer. DR is great, but you should go into any major life choice with your eyes wide open.

Residency is something you should start discussing with your local consulate AFTER you've spent time in-country, and have made the decision.

There are many places to choose from in DR, ranging from ultra-touristy to never seeing another gringo again. The cost of living is frequently directly proportionate to the emphasis the area places on tourism.

Keep in mind that purchasing real estate is almost laughably easy. Selling it is an altogether different matter.

You've got one kid in high school, another knocking on the door. The public schools are pretty poor across the board, although many areas have at least one decent private school. While a fraction of the cost of NA, you're still looking at $1,000 per month, per student.

A suggestion: as you've got a kid who has almost graduated high school, consider spending the next few summers in DR. Try a few different areas (Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, La Romana, Las Terrenas, Santiago, Cabrera and Cabarete/Sosua are all great options), and take it all in. In two years, your oldest will have graduated, which will save oodles of money, and you'll hopefully know the area and language well enough to make some realistic decisions.

So take your time, learn the country, and gradually ease in. Best of luck!

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
Why ask here for help if you know everything already good luck Sherry .

I didn't know anything this morning when I woke up and posted... through some of the great posts and suggestions, I used those to help further my search. Where I found out more information along the way and posted in case anyone in the future finds themselves in the same situation as I am now. Thanks

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Sherry slow down before you buy anything land that cost 5000 $ comes with 5000 problems !

Yes and ensure all mental health problems being treated and mood stabilizer rx compliance
e (if applicable) before shelling out thousands of $

SherryLewis

May 13, 2015
Okay.... I'm breathing... and yes listening! Okay, maybe you guys are starting to persuade me just a little. Maybe I will go down there with my husband in July for a week then take my kids and stay out there for a couple of months, then make a decision.

I heard from other people living down there that it is much cheaper.. is this not so?

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
All the internet surfing and questions are still not worth anything until boots on the ground living here. You have not even visited here do not speak the language. The DR is a complete 180 to Canada things that are simple and straightforward in Canada are difficult and time consuming here.
I understand you're excited you want to live in the Caribbean Paradise in my years of living here I have seen many excited and gun hoe like you to move here but within 6 months of the move they are back in their country upset and pockets not as full as before or empty.
Please bring your family here and experience the place before you even think of investing 1 US dollar (because Cdn dollar aint worth crap here no offense) The DR is awesome but very difficult for newbies at the same time. Nobody is trying to discourage you we are just trying to tell you proceed with caution and learn from real life experience.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Okay.... I'm breathing... and yes listening! Okay, maybe you guys are starting to persuade me just a little. Maybe I will go down there with my husband in July for a week then take my kids and stay out there for a couple of months, then make a decision. WISE CHOICE

I heard from other people living down there that it is much cheaper.. is this not so?

Depends if you want to eat this everyday rice.jpg

Or:

lobster-king-1024x941.jpg

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Really what this shows is one can even have "Island Fiebre" even when a chica isn't involved... That or a well communicating sock.

Status
Not open for further replies.