New Motoconcho regulations

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
From DR1 News It is about time.

Motoconchos exempt from new motorcycle restrictions
After decades of a laissez-faire approach, the government announces that it will enforce new measures limiting motorcycle use to just one person. However, motorcycle-taxis, known here as motoconchos, are exempt from the rule. The measures also require both driver and passenger to wear helmets.

The Land Transit Department (DGTT) issued the ban in Resolution 02-16, which goes into effect as of Monday, 15 August 2016.

The DGTT divided motorcycles into those that transport fare-paying passengers (motoconchos), those used for messenger services by private and government entities, and those used for the personal use of the owner.

The DGTT says that for a passenger to be carried on a motorcycle for personal use, an authorization from the DGTT needs to be requested. For the permit to be granted, the applicant needs to meet all the requirements for the motorcycle and motorcycle driver.

The measure is aimed at improving public security. It is estimated that 80% of street robberies are carried out by people on motorcycles.

Some fricking civil servant got drunk and saw the light. ;)
Years ago in Colombia they had the same problem so they made it law that every driver had to have an orange vest with the number of his license plate on it, that helped.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What they should do is ban motoconchos. Period.

The law as is is really, really stupid.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
What I have never understood is why there isn't a law that requires motorcycle headlights and taillights to be on all the time?
That requirement would, seemingly, give law enforcement an opportunity to catch those headlightless riders in the daylight;
the're not going to stop them at night.

Apr 10, 2014
What I have never understood is why there isn't a law that requires motorcycle headlights and taillights to be on all the time?
That requirement would, seemingly, give law enforcement an opportunity to catch those headlightless riders in the daylight;

You will be way ahead of the game when you don't try and figure out the Dominican culture and theIr laws

KITTU

May 13, 2015
You need to read the post.

The DGTT says that for a passenger to be carried on a motorcycle for personal use, an authorization from the DGTT needs to be requested. For the permit to be granted, the applicant needs to meet all the requirements for the motorcycle and motorcycle driver.

Totally agree with the new law. How far will it be implemented is the question!!!
Also some kind of tariff posts cos motoconchos are extracting money from foreigners in a rowdy manner. Sometimes tourists are extorted 50$ US from turquesa to palma real.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I live in Samana and the capital.I have never seen any of these laws enacted in Samana.If they do,then 95 % of all bikes and pasolas will be off the road.There is basically no one here with either a helmet,placa,insurance,license or ownership papers.Every motor or pasola has 2 or 3 people on them and the motoconchos are the same.Most have no lights but a horn,and all their mufflers are reamed out which is also against a law,So lets see to believe.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
They say Motoconcho, so can you carry an extra person if you have a larger Motorcycle? Or will Frank no longer be able to go out for a ride with his G/F?
They should also have to carry at least one banana at all times while riding.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I live in Samana and the capital.I have never seen any of these laws enacted in Samana.If they do,then 95 % of all bikes and pasolas will be off the road.There is basically no one here with either a helmet,placa,insurance,license or ownership papers.Every motor or pasola has 2 or 3 people on them and the motoconchos are the same.Most have no lights but a horn,and all their mufflers are reamed out which is also against a law,So lets see to believe.

Samana City, and before you get to the city and surrounding area, is about the SICKEST place i have ever seen when it comes to Motos.. it is absolutely the WILD west ... I cant even put it into words , its quite a shock to the senses, first time driving through. There are absolutely no rules whatsoever on that main road.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Hell all they have to do is look at the moto its normally very evident that there are no lights when the whole unit is gone! Same with directional lights GONE. mirrors gone

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Samana City, and before you get to the city and surrounding area, is about the SICKEST place i have ever seen when it comes to Motos.. it is absolutely the WILD west ... I cant even put it into words , its quite a shock to the senses, first time driving through. There are absolutely no rules whatsoever on that main road.
There are definitely rules, unwritten rules, but you don't see them.

The Dominican driving culture is highly evolved; it's just not what first-worlders are used to.

I've got 120,000 km. riding motorcycles in the DR over 8.5 years, and maybe 80,000 miles in a car or large van. I will say this: I feel safer riding a motorcycle in the DR than I did in the states.

I explain all this in our ebook about riding motorcycles in the Dominican Republic, called Two Wheels in Paradise: The Essential Guide to Riding Motorcycles in the Dominican Republic.

I'll send anyone a copy, just PM me your email address and the format: .pdf, .epub, .mobi or .doc.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

The Dominican driving culture is highly evolved; it's just not what first-worlders are used to.

I've got 120,000 km. riding motorcycles in the DR over 8.5 years, and maybe 80,000 miles in a car or large van. I will say this: I feel safer riding a motorcycle in the DR than I did in the states.

I explain all this in our ebook about riding motorcycles in the Dominican Republic, called Two Wheels in Paradise: The Essential Guide to Riding Motorcycles in the Dominican Republic.

I'll send anyone a copy, just PM me your email address and the format: .pdf, .epub, .mobi or .doc.

ya i get that , I used to ride a dirt bike , on dirt tracks and off road, and we had our own body language and rules and cues..
I always said If you rode a Dirt bike when you were young and its in your blood, you will probably do OK driving in the DR..
Anyone else, Be extra careful... Generally the bigger you are the more you can intimidate other drivers .. This is why the Buses are always passing us like maniacs..
But I generally would never even consider riding a Street bike in the DR , not because of other Bikers , but the cars and trucks which just dont have a CLUE..

But I see what you are saying. for sure.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You may have convinced yourself to feel safer but does that mean you actually are safer.
The rider is responsible for his safety, and there are definitely strategies to deal with the driving culture here. Three of the greatest skills one can have riding motorcycles here are understanding the culture---i.e. the unwritten rules---awareness and constant strategeries for an "out."

With practice these become second nature.

What seems like organized chaos is actually a highly refined system. There is a reason that there aren't many more horrendous accidents in this culture .

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013

I will say this: I feel safer riding a motorcycle in the DR than I did in the states.

I tend to agree oddly enough. It was an odd realization at first. In the US, no one is looking for motorcycles. You can go for a 10 min ride without getting almost squashed by a car driver not paying attention. But, not in the DR. Motos are everywhere, and people are looking for them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If you learn to "go with the flow" and always pay attention, riding here ain't bad at all. It is tiring, I admit.

But the ones getting killed in all of these accidents are the guys showing off, no understanding of physics, reckless driving.

Think about it... how many times do you see somebody on a bike pull out in front of an approaching vehicle which requires them to brake to avoid hitting them (or folks in other cars for that matter)

Many of them just "point" their car to where they're heading. There is zero thought processes devoted to driving.

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
From DR1 News It is about time.

The measure is aimed at improving public security. It is estimated that 80% of street robberies are carried out by people on motorcycles.

They don't need two people for the snatch and grab. On last visit to the island, some jackass tried to snatch the Admiral's purse. (All he got was the strap... and a tirade of obscenities from his intended victim. LOL) The bag was a cheap tourist item, so the connectors for the strap broke easily... which was all luck. It wasn't a spontaneous thing, either. He was decked out in full coverage helmet with blacked out glass, head to toe clothes (long sleeves, gloves, pants, shoes socks). Obviously trolling for an unsuspecting turista. New travel advisory, switch out all purse strap hardware to something that will break away when tugged.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The rider is responsible for his safety, and there are definitely strategies to deal with the driving culture here. Three of the greatest skills one can have riding motorcycles here are understanding the culture---i.e. the unwritten rules---awareness and constant strategeries for an "out."

With practice these become second nature.

What seems like organized chaos is actually a highly refined system. There is a reason that there aren't many more horrendous accidents in this culture .

I agree 100%. In DR most drivers are very much aware that anyone behind , in front of or beside you can do something 'against the rules' or unexpected and you learn to be aware and proactive. Good thing is, in the end most of the rest of the traffic also is.

You learn fast enough when you can 'take' priority or not.

Feb 7, 2007
Quite a nice follow up that my post of Listin Diario's articles on FB page of a local TV channel got ...

https://www.facebook.com/vision2020tvluz/posts/1470895862929251:0

BUT,

It IS A NO GO. NO PROHIBITION WHATSOEVER. Ride calm and take your kids to school freely on a motorcycle.

SANTO DOMINGO.-El ministro de la Presidencia, Gustavo Montalvo, neg? categ?ricamente que el Gobierno haya prohibido que los conductores de motocicletas transiten con otra persona en la parte trasera del motor.

http://eldia.com.do/gustavo-montalvo-niega-prohibicion-de-dos-en-motores/