New Motoconcho regulations

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Some countries have banned 2 or more male adults from riding a Moto. That makes more sense. Females and minors are OK.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
When are they going to remove the law that; when a moto smashes into a driving gringo, the gringo is at fault? And when will the lawyers who represent and sometimes encourage these moto crashes to be fined/sanctioned?

What really amuses me and is the epitome of the culture we are dealing with is; The Prez and Tourism minister want/expect tourism to double to 10 million when they put no safeguards in place to protect these tourist? Worse, they allow the criminals/police etc. to rob/kill/extort them with very little concern or investigation.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
ya i get that , I used to ride a dirt bike , on dirt tracks and off road, and we had our own body language and rules and cues..
I always said
Riding dirt enhances your physical skills as far as handling a motorcycle, and that's really important.

But those skills are useless without an understanding of the driving culture, and where you fit in. The awareness and stategery skills on dirt have little transfer to the DR streets.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Riding dirt enhances your physical skills as far as handling a motorcycle, and that's really important.

But those skills are useless without an understanding of the driving culture, and where you fit in. The awareness and stategery skills on dirt have little transfer to the DR streets.

You just like to argue, dont you ? LOL
I was speaking about BODY LANGUAGE... Riding on a dirt track, in circles , hundreds/ thousands of times, ya kind of develop our own body language with the other riders, and solid cues and signals that each person on that track respects and adheres to.
You can call them strategy skills if you want.. It does not matter what culture you are from, you learn REAL Fast to adapt, or you get Hurt..
why you would think there are no transferable skills here for a person with such EXPERIENCE, is beyond me...
Its as Clear cut an example as one could possibly give.
my guess is you are a young buck who thinks he knows it all .
and thats ok too.
and by the way, I have done well over 140 MPH on the Autobahns of Germany many many times, and been PASSED at that speed as well, so better get out the left lane if you see headlights behind you, ya just kind of learn that stuff real fast..

stay safe.. and all the best
I do understand the thing about Culture though, I was kind of just breaking your b***s a little
and this is exactly why I do NOT ride a bike in the DR, but mainly because if I do take a fall, im not counting on anyone scraping my arse off the pavement and taking me to the Clinic.
The Risk just not worth reward at my age..
but yes the culture part is a very valid point..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quite a nice follow up that my post of Listin Diario's articles on FB page of a local TV channel got ...

https://www.facebook.com/vision2020tvluz/posts/1470895862929251:0

BUT,

It IS A NO GO. NO PROHIBITION WHATSOEVER. Ride calm and take your kids to school freely on a motorcycle.

SANTO DOMINGO.-El ministro de la Presidencia, Gustavo Montalvo, neg? categ?ricamente que el Gobierno haya prohibido que los conductores de motocicletas transiten con otra persona en la parte trasera del motor.

http://eldia.com.do/gustavo-montalvo-niega-prohibicion-de-dos-en-motores/

Frankly, I am shocked. Shocked that the government realized how ridiculous this regulation would be, if it even existed for a brief moment, and clarified that there is no such ban.

(They should just ban motoconchos entirely.)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You just like to argue, dont you ? LOL
I was speaking about BODY LANGUAGE... Riding on a dirt track, in circles , hundreds/ thousands of times, ya kind of develop our own body language with the other riders, and solid cues and signals that each person on that track respects and adheres to.
You can call them strategy skills if you want.. It does not matter what culture you are from, you learn REAL Fast to adapt, or you get Hurt..
why you would think there are no transferable skills here for a person with such EXPERIENCE, is beyond me...
Its as Clear cut an example as one could possibly give.
my guess is you are a young buck who thinks he knows it all .
and thats ok too.
and by the way, I have done well over 140 MPH on the Autobahns of Germany many many times, and been PASSED at that speed as well, so better get out the left lane if you see headlights behind you, ya just kind of learn that stuff real fast..

stay safe.. and all the best
I do understand the thing about Culture though, I was kind of just breaking your b***s a little
and this is exactly why I do NOT ride a bike in the DR, but mainly because if I do take a fall, im not counting on anyone scraping my arse off the pavement and taking me to the Clinic.
The Risk just not worth reward at my age..
but yes the culture part is a very valid point..
Not arguing, trying to be more precise for safety reasons.

I may be older that you are.

My point is your threat assessment scan on DR streets is entirely different than your scan on a single track, a motocross track or a race track.

Different worlds, different scans, not a whole lot of commonality 'twixt the two.

"A super rider is one who uses his superior judgement to keep himself out of situations requiring use of his superior skills."

Feb 7, 2007
Frankly, I am shocked. Shocked that the government realized how ridiculous this regulation would be, if it even existed for a brief moment, and clarified that there is no such ban.

Maybe they were fishing. Throwing a bait with supposedly enacted regulation to see the public reaction.

Aug 6, 2006

From a safety standpoint, this makes some sense. If they replaced motoconchos with something safer, like those three wheeled moto rickshaws that are so common in India and Peru, there wopuld surely be fewer fatalities. But the price of getting around town in a place like Barahona would be more expensive, and there would be a lot more unemployment.

There is a tradeoff involved here: employment and convenience vs safety.

Nearly every time I go around the Arco in Barahona, I see a near collision. I know that there are a lot of accidents, but so far I have not seen one, though I know many people who have been in a motoconcho accident.

Most of the motoconcho drivers are sober most of the time, and they seem to have excellent reflexes.

I have seen several incidents in which some fool practicing his wheelies seems to forget that he has a passenger or two on the seat behind him.
By accident I do not mean such acts of idiocy, I mean incidents involving blood and ambulances.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I sent my friend in Moca the link.
Her response was "hahaha where is this going to happen? Not here.
She asked a few people and they've never heard of this.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
My sister in law works in a hospital here, heard the law, but told me it was rejected, so hopefully she is right.....

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
DR government has done something logical at last, realizing what a stupid and impractical rule that would have been - what a turn of event that is, the "logical" bit... !

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Any updates on this? Is the ban of no passengers (or was it one passenger only?) still off and nothing will change?

I am seeing conflicting news items of what I think are just re-posts of old information.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yesterday's DR1 News had the update - seems they are backpedalling.
Two-person motorcycle ban not yet
Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo was quick to deny reports that the government has banned more than one person from riding a family-owned motorcycle without a permit from the authorities starting Monday, 15 August 2016. He was responding to media reports on Resolution 02-16 issued by the Land Transit Department (DGTT) that limits motorcycle use to just one person at a time. The resolution exempts motorcycle-taxis, known here as “motoconchos,” from the rule.
The measure also stated that both driver and passenger would be required to wear helmets. Only in the capital city of Santo Domingo has the government been enforcing the use of helmets, not so in inner cities.
The DGTT resolution stated that the measure would go into effect on Monday, 15 August 2016.
The resolution divided motorcycles into those that transport fare-paying passengers (motoconchos), those used for messenger services by private and government entities, and those for the owner’s personal use.
The DGTT said that for a passenger to be carried on a motorcycle for personal use, an authorization from the DGTT needed to be requested. For the permit to be granted, the applicant needed to meet all the requirements for the motorcycle and motorcycle driver, including driver license and motorcycle registration. Most motorcycle drivers and motorcycles on the roads in the Dominican Republic do not meet these requirements because of lax enforcement by the land transit authorities over the years.
The measure is aimed at improving public safety as it is estimated that 80% of street robberies are carried out by people on motorcycles. In addition, most traffic accidents involve motorcyclists.
Nevertheless, Montalvo said that the task of organizing motorcycle transport should be part of a larger-scale process implemented in phases. He acknowledged that motorcycles are the main method of transport for many families.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The above post is not exactly worded in a way that is clear about if it won't happen or if it won't happen just yet.

But maybe this helps to illustrate just how far they are willing to take this:

:
13902678_10208882837499759_8061792177336059931_n.jpg

No Headlight, No Tail light , No Helmets and Three Riders.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
"The bike must be in good condition. Individuals may only carry relatives or friends or acquaintances from August 15 but have to apply for a special permit for this".
Ok so ladrones will have to go in a and get a special permit.

Jul 28, 2014
"The bike must be in good condition. Individuals may only carry relatives or friends or acquaintances from August 15 but have to apply for a special permit for this".
Ok so ladrones will have to go in a and get a special permit.

both the driver and passenger have to wear a safety helmet

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Where does one get the permits for private owners/

So it was as I thought. Just needed to wait until the 15th for it to take effect. Anyone seeing any arrests based upon violations?

Where does one get the permits for private owners?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The law was never officially passed. Sosua News is reporting old news without the update that was released Monday afternoon.