New renewal procedures for Pemanent-Residents(under 10 year residency) ?

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
I never thought about Dominican citizenship - because in that case i will loose my German citizenship.
And this I do not want.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Normally not, william. In the moment you get another citizenship your german one automatically is "bang". Exceptions exists, in case you ask because of special reasons. But this ist not easy, I was told.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh, I didn't know that.... I thought the European countries were more flexible.
Too bad.
RD residency is what I have , The passport doesn't interest me - I have a Canadian one.
Maybe some day.....

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
I have to renew my resicia and cedula in February. Vamos a ver what will happen:rolleyes:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I just read the new migration law. Yes, to renew permanent residence you need to get the medical exams, the police paper, pictures and a passport current for at least 18 months. It says you're supposed to get a 4 year residence card. The medical exams alone probably adds a few extra days to the process. However, if you hold a provisional residence, you will have to renew it at least 5 times (yearly) to opt for permanent residence, and your first permanent residence is only valid for a year. After that, 4 years every renewal. My permanent residence expires next year and I already have a headache.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I just read the new migration law. Yes, to renew permanent residence you need to get the medical exams, the police paper, pictures and a passport current for at least 18 months. It says you're supposed to get a 4 year residence card. The medical exams alone probably adds a few extra days to the process. However, if you hold a provisional residence, you will have to renew it at least 5 times (yearly) to opt for permanent residence, and your first permanent residence is only valid for a year. After that, 4 years every renewal. My permanent residence expires next year and I already have a headache.

This is what it says in the "new regulation", correct. But we will only know when the first provisional resident goes back there and reports here, who knows what kind of surprises are lurking by then.
The renewal of the permanent residency turned out to be more complicated than announced in the new regulation (another letter of a guarantee).

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Like I said, this is my 3rd time renewing my Permanent-Residency, and I just got it a couple of days ago, and it's only a 2 year Permanent-Residency card, like before, only a lot more hassles to get it. (Read my update on the previos page).

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
We renewed our Perm's just before August 1st with no problems. Here is a "snippet" from a friend of mine and what he when through AFTER August 1st. He has been a Perm for many years.

SNIP>>Anyone interested, Renewing your residency is a real pain now. And will take a minimum of two trips to Santodomingo. New Police Report, Letter of Guarantee Notarized, Buy Formula at Imigration in S.D. There medical and x-ray,two different locations, one for blood and one for x-ray and wait two weeks for results, and several other documents that are easy like your passport, residency card, cedula, 2 photos, and four copys of everything. The only good news is it will be good for four years instead of two.

A letter of Guarantee is from a Dominican Business Person, Notarized, Taking responsibility for any Bad actions a Resident may take in the future. Also include a copy of that Business persons license or Title to property, You must have it or they will not do the renewal. I was at Immigration this past Tue, Aug 21, I did my medical, must be at there facility, Two locations, Blood right there in the Imigration building and X-Ray at another government designated building approx 10 blocks away. They say come back in 10 days for your result. Then you can submit your package and if it is in order you may leave the same day with your new resident card that will be good for 4 years. The medical is 4,500 peso. When You submit your package it is another 4,000 peso normal or 5,000 peso VIP.

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
We renewed our Perm's just before August 1st with no problems. Here is a "snippet" from a friend of mine and what he when through AFTER August 1st. He has been a Perm for many years.

SNIP>>Anyone interested, Renewing your residency is a real pain now. And will take a minimum of two trips to Santodomingo. New Police Report, Letter of Guarantee Notarized, Buy Formula at Imigration in S.D. There medical and x-ray,two different locations, one for blood and one for x-ray and wait two weeks for results, and several other documents that are easy like your passport, residency card, cedula, 2 photos, and four copys of everything. The only good news is it will be good for four years instead of two.

A letter of Guarantee is from a Dominican Business Person, Notarized, Taking responsibility for any Bad actions a Resident may take in the future. Also include a copy of that Business persons license or Title to property, You must have it or they will not do the renewal. I was at Immigration this past Tue, Aug 21, I did my medical, must be at there facility, Two locations, Blood right there in the Imigration building and X-Ray at another government designated building approx 10 blocks away. They say come back in 10 days for your result. Then you can submit your package and if it is in order you may leave the same day with your new resident card that will be good for 4 years. The medical is 4,500 peso. When You submit your package it is another 4,000 peso normal or 5,000 peso VIP.

NOT TRUE !!!

It?s NOT an automatic 4 year renewal, it?s an automatic 2 year renewal for the 4000 pesos renewal fee.

I just renewed my Permanent-Residency, and got it a few days ago and it?s a 2 year one.
If you want 4 years you have to pay double that amount which is now 8000 pesos plus 1000 pesos VIP equals 9000 pesos (just for the renewal fee).

I went back to immigration today and paid another 4000 pesos on top of the 4000 pesos + 1000VIP I paid them last week so to get me a 4 year term. So in all they got 9000 pesos from me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are you saying that anyone can go back, and 'double down', pay another fee and get 4 yrs?

I renewed in March and got the 2yr deal.
Given the new rules, I would love to get 2 more to postpone headaches.

Is that possible?

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Are you saying that anyone can go back, and 'double down', pay another fee and get 4 yrs?

I renewed in March and got the 2yr deal.
Given the new rules, I would love to get 2 more to postpone headaches.

Is that possible?

You renewed yours waay before the new rules came into effect, so I seriously doubt it.

I renewed mine in September 10, 2012 with all the headaches of carta de guarantia and Medicos, etc......
Then finally I paid the 4000 pesos that they wanted for the Permanent-Residency renewal + 1000 pesos VIP.

But since someone mentioned in this forum that this time you?ll get a 4 year term for that 4000 pesos renewal fee, that was exactly what I was expecting to get, but to my surprise they just gave me another 2 year one.

2 days later I came back to Migracion and told them I don?t like the idea of getting X-ray radiation every 2 years and they told me no problem, ?pay us another 4000 pesos and we?ll extend it to another 2 years?.
So I did, and they handed me a new 4 year Permanent-Residency card on the spot (as I paid the VIP 2 days prior).

So in all they got 9000 pesos for a 4 year Permanent-Residency card.

So I have a problem with the previous post who wrote that he/she has a freind that just got a 4 year P-R for the basic 4000 pesos renewal fee.

Last edited:

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Anyways, now I don`t need to be going for any Dominican citizenship nonsense.

I have another 4 years of calmness.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let me make sure I understand today's version of residency renewal

This is what it says in the "new regulation", correct. But we will only know when the first provisional resident goes back there and reports here, who knows what kind of surprises are lurking by then.
The renewal of the permanent residency turned out to be more complicated than announced in the new regulation (another letter of a guarantee).

We were warned by our non-DR-resident mall lover PICHARDO that long term residents would be pushed into becoming naturalized DR citizens and the new regulations seem to be part of that plan.

I had to renew my residency just before the new regulations took effect and it was only possible for 2 years. At the time I renewed I was told that the next time I renewed I could do it for up to 10 years.

It sounds from the above that 4 years is the new maximum with each renewal being the much more complicated with medical exam, police report, guarantee letter and whatever else they come up with between now and the next time I need to renew. No simple renewal in Santiago would be possible so this would require at least of couple of days in Santo Domingo. Ridiculous for those already vetted by the system, but it is their country.

Did I understand the new procedures correctly?

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
windeguy, you wrote:
"We were warned by our non-DR-resident mall lover PICHARDO that long term residents would be pushed into becoming naturalized DR citizens and the new regulations seem to be part of that plan"

Please let me know where Richardo wrote this warning, I would like to ask him more about this.

Yes, it is their country, but they should try to act with us in a human kind. Nothing against rules, this is life, but not so ridiculous.

In case they will push me into becoming naturalized DR citizen - I prefer to leave. Living here longer time, always doing correct what was needed. Should be enough. I am German, cannot have two citizenships. In case i accept this here, inmediately my german one will be blowing in the wind. And this situation I never will have.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
PICHARDO's thread on residency becoming more difficult to keep out the scum

windeguy, you wrote:
"We were warned by our non-DR-resident mall lover PICHARDO that long term residents would be pushed into becoming naturalized DR citizens and the new regulations seem to be part of that plan"

Please let me know where Richardo wrote this warning, I would like to ask him more about this.

Yes, it is their country, but they should try to act with us in a human kind. Nothing against rules, this is life, but not so ridiculous.

In case they will push me into becoming naturalized DR citizen - I prefer to leave. Living here longer time, always doing correct what was needed. Should be enough. I am German, cannot have two citizenships. In case i accept this here, inmediately my german one will be blowing in the wind. And this situation I never will have.

Notice to all expats in the dr!!!

Hispanola

Feb 4, 2011
Again, the P-R renewal fee is 4000 pesos for the regular 2 years.

and 8000 for the maximum 4 years. pay another 1000 for VIP = 9000 pesos.

This 9000 pesos of-course does not include the about $300 U.S.D. it now costs to get all the other stuff prior to handing in at Migracion and paying the new renewal fee.

If anyone can prove to me they recently got a renewed P-R for 4 years and paid only 4000 pesos renewal fee, I'd like to know, as Migracion would then owe me money.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Money, money, money

In case they will push me into becoming naturalized DR citizen - I prefer to leave. Living here longer time, always doing correct what was needed. Should be enough.

It seems that the DR is not interested in residents like you and me.
They want the money launderers, the criminals with drug money, the mafia inverstors, whomever with money, no matter where it comes from.
We have seen the presidents inaugurating their projects.... :bunny:

They developed means to milk that money off then.... :pirate:

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Again, the P-R renewal fee is 4000 pesos for the regular 2 years.

and 8000 for the maximum 4 years. pay another 1000 for VIP = 9000 pesos.

This 9000 pesos of-course does not include the about $300 U.S.D. it now costs to get all the other stuff prior to handing in at Migracion and paying the new renewal fee.

If anyone can prove to me they recently got a renewed P-R for 4 years and paid only 4000 pesos renewal fee, I'd like to know, as Migracion would then owe me money.

So I did understand correctly that for each renewal of permanent residency from now on for 2 years (or 4) you need a medical exam, police paperwork, letter of guarantee, etc and a trip or two to Santo Domingo which is all very inconvenient and somewhat costly. This appears to be about $600 US plus your transportation and lodging in Santo Domingo according to what Hispanola paid.

Does it not matter at all how many years you have been a resident, must you always go through this?