New stuff going on for folks entering/ overstaying visas.

BigRoco

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I now hope my wife and I will be able to pay tax and leave without problem. They did not ask us about our time to stay when we arrived.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Yes it's Snowbird season again.

Let the debate over the DR Exit Tax begin.

I assume the airport departure areas still gladly accept your money if you stay over 30 days.  (OK Windy... please post the latest fees, as listed on an official DR website)

Let the people who worked long and hard, and suffered greatly to finally obtain their official papers to stay here....  all pile on and condemn any Snowbird who opts to pay on exit.

And let's hope that the local POP Immigration boys have finished making their point (by arresting senior citizens leaving a supermacado) I know they must have been really pi$$ed when Santa Domingo Immigration put computers in all the Airports and stop a very lucrative revenue stream for the local boys.

So..... did the DR get any closer, over the Summer, to creating a Snowbird VISA ?

When I left last April,   they where almost there. They just had to solve the Hatian problem,  and there was a big move afoot, that would solve that Hatian problem once and for all. (ya right)

Did I get it right?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NoName

I don't think you got it right.

Never was close to extension situation... still hanging in the wind

At the whim of the agent at the gates --- in or out gate

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
This is on the UK government website.....

Tourist cards are initially valid for a 30-day stay but can be extended by paying for an extension when you leave the country. If you overstay this initial 30-day period, you’ll have to pay a surcharge when you leave the country. If you’re planning to stay for longer than 30 days, seek advice from a local lawyer or contact the local Immigration authorities.

There have been reports in February 2017 of immigration authorities making random checks on foreign visitors to establish the validity of their stay in the country. The Dominican Republic immigration rules haven’t changed, all tourists should have a valid tourist card for a 30 day stay or pay for an extension on departure if staying beyond 30 days. Make sure you’re able to provide a photocopy of your identification (such as a passport), and proof of onward or return travel if you’re asked to do so by the authorities.

Is there an official DR website that says something (or is that just a silly, amusing thought??)

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't say ..typical American...just a typical fool

As an American myself, I feel comfortable saying typical.  I moved back to the States after being away for 11 years and most people here make me want to slap them.  The sense of entitlement and the ignorance of the rest of the world is tragic.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Please don't shoot the messenger, but I have read several other stories about all this. Seems Migration is cracking down on folks who live here, however do not have legal status (Cedula and residencea). I know a lot of folks who come here and pay the "overstay fine / tax...whatever" cause it's cheaper than going through the trouble, money and hassle of getting residencia.
This video is from a person just like that. She works here as a "digital Nomad"...online. I'm not going to get into my opinions of her thoughts and experiences. But that all said, I think we heard this was coming at some point. Looks like that time is now.
Respectfully.
I hope the link works!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUqcjoTmLw

Silly broad never heard of the 11 million illegals we have in the USA wanting to just stay and earn what they can, but they are not allowed to do so because there are laws to follow and hoops to jump thru. She says early in the tape that she has never before had the chance to leave before, and later on she waves her passport around proving how many times she has been in and out and to other countries etc..

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Please don't shoot the messenger, but I have read several other stories about all this. Seems Migration is cracking down on folks who live here, however do not have legal status (Cedula and residencea). I know a lot of folks who come here and pay the "overstay fine / tax...whatever" cause it's cheaper than going through the trouble, money and hassle of getting residencia.
This video is from a person just like that. She works here as a "digital Nomad"...online. I'm not going to get into my opinions of her thoughts and experiences. But that all said, I think we heard this was coming at some point. Looks like that time is now.
Respectfully.
I hope the link works!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUqcjoTmLw

Silly broad never heard of the 11 million illegals we have in the USA wanting to just stay and earn what they can, but they are not allowed to do so because there are laws to follow and hoops to jump thru. She says early in the tape that she has never before had the chance to leave before, and later on she waves her passport around proving how many times she has been in and out and to other countries etc..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As an American myself, I feel comfortable saying typical.  I moved back to the States after being away for 11 years and most people here make me want to slap them.  The sense of entitlement and the ignorance of the rest of the world is tragic.

I have lived in the USA almost half my life...
I was always intrigued by the USA

I am sorry to say that I agree with you.

Not that there aren't pockets of people who differ from that stereotype... but they are pockets, small numbers.

The bulk are as you say.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not a lot of info to go on and certainly not enough reports to conclude any sort of pattern or change in operational policy but the two instances we do know about have focused on people entering the DR after having overstayed in the past.

Leaving is probably not much of an issue as the DR is not keen to keep people here against their will but might have a new interest in people coming into the country for extended periods of time, at least those with a history of extended stays.

We'll just have to wait and see if this flares up or goes away.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
She is not a typical American. She is a typical idiot.

A typical American would not know where the Dominican Republic is, nor would they care.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
She is not a typical American. She is a typical idiot.

A typical American would not know where the Dominican Republic is, nor would they care.

Search Results
Still, only 36 percent of Americans hold a valid passport, according to the State Department, compared to 60 percent of passport-holding Canadians and 75 percent for Brits and Aussies. That means almost 70 percent of us are unqualified for international travel.Apr 14, 2016

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and I think that is a new high...
number has gone up in past years

In defense, USA has two coasts, desert, mountains, a gulf, fresh water lakes...

Not that much reason to leave it

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This gal doesn't seem any different to me than thousands of other snowbirds that come here for the winter every year and think that they are doing nothing wrong by staying more than 30 days - that is exactly what is posted on the Dominican Embassy website in the US, Canada, U.K., and others - and it is exactly what other posters on another thread were told by immigration officers at the airport.

She obviously didn't do enough homework before coming here, should never have mentioned "work", but it is legal in both the US and Canada for someone on a tourist visa to work online for a foreign company as long as the clients are foreign and the money is deposited in the home country. Is that not the case here in the DR? Link?

The larger point is that she was specifically told by the immigration officer that it is illegal to stay in the country more than 30 days and was warned that, if she overstayed more than 30 days this time, she would not be allowed back in the country. She also mentioned that 30-40 other passengers were pulled aside and detained while she whas there.

A recent poster had a problem when she mentioned that she was staying more than 30 days. Seems to me that something new is definitely going on here.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Well, she can start by spelling Immigration correctly.

Long winded , self serving....

I don't think she gets it yet.

8 hrs detention is beauty.

There sounds like something is afoot at airports,,,,

We'll see Friday when I arrive- Residency in hand
Some people are living blindly and then complaining because the system they don't understand is not satsfying their life. Eso se llama "andando ciego". Hahaha

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Poster in first thread was a tourist coming for more than 30 days, intending to go home. Lady in the video intended to live here, sold her house in the US, came here with the specific intention to work, and reside here indefinitely. Big difference.

Who realistically thinks they can just arrive in another country and set up a life without going through a process to obtain permission and receive a recognized legal status? Nobody can be that naive. The video reeks of misapplied righteous indignation and selfishness. There is no way she actually believes some of what she says. Sure it was possible to come here and do what she did but at no time could she ever have believed that she was entitled to do so with any sort of governmental sanction.

Visiting for more than 30 days is one thing. Residing here year round is an entirely different kettle of fish even if you don't plan to work - A case of "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than seek permission"?

As far as I am concerned, she is very lucky she wasn't put on the next flight back from where she came.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I didn't see anywhere in that video where I thought that gal was acting with righteous indignation, selfishness, or entitlement. Like I said, the imortant takeaway from that video is that the immigration officer specifically told her that it is illegal to be in the country more than 30 days and warned that she would be barred from entering if she overstayed again. That's new.

If she was lucky she didn't get sent back home, then it looks like there could soon be many people who are lucky they don't get sent back home.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
We have lived here (DR) ten years, own property, are on our 3rd perm residencia and working on citizenship. (another subject). I agree with most all of the posters that she has / had some sort of an "entitlement philosophy" and that was my very first thought. We all know that there are a lot of folks here that stay for the winter.....or longer...or just try to disappear all together. For the folks that have been here for the last 3 or 4 years, and have been following the changes, we know that the DR has been trying to come up with the rest of the world as far as immigration policy etc. (did I spell that right this time)? We knew this was going to happen eventually and I'm not saying its a bad thing. It seems that this particular process has only just started in the last week or two. The system is now in place. We have friends that own property here and do not have legal status and it will be interesting to see what the future brings for them. I hate the process and dealing with immigration! Who doesn't? It changes all the time (for lack of a better word) but it can be done. And while in Rome.......That's my thinking anyways. I should maybe start another thread with suggestions on changes that could be made to simplify the whole thing. We came here by boat. We had to pay for a 30 day visa. One the 31st day we applied and paid for a 60 day visa......then a 90 day visa, bla bla bla. I think all that still applies. I dunno. I'm starting to run on now so I'll go to bed! Respectfully.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The last two times I have left from PUJ after staying about two months, I have also noticed a change. My passport is not locked and they do not send me to the overstay booth. I have residency. Not that these two times are precedent setting. I would not be surprised to see something different next time.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
How does one "notice" that their passport has, or has not, been locked? I always took that to mean that, if you were a non-resident, it just meant that it wasn't "unlocked" until you paid the appropriate departure tax. This being done to insure the collection and record of a fee actually being collected.

When I left to go back to the US in Aug and Dec of last year, they swiped my passport, I showed them my residency card, and I was on my way. Was it locked or unlocked?