New stuff going on for folks entering/ overstaying visas.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
She's a typical self-important clueless American.  She thinks she's entitled to come to the DR and live and work without bothering to follow any of the immigration rules.   After leaving to visit the States for a few weeks, she was detained when returning to the DR.  

Funny that's exactly what almost every illegal Hispanic { dominican} person thinks in the US... At least she didn't expect welfare.. Section 8...food stamps... Etc

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How does one "notice" that their passport has, or has not, been locked? I always took that to mean that, if you were a non-resident, it just meant that it wasn't "unlocked" until you paid the appropriate departure tax. This being done to insure the collection and record of a fee actually being collected.

When I left to go back to the US in Aug and Dec of last year, they swiped my passport, I showed them my residency card, and I was on my way. Was it locked or unlocked?

If they swiped and you went on your way, it was not locked.  

When we got to immigration, I went straight to pay my overstay, and they unlocked mine.  We got into line and officer swiped mine and I was fine.  My husband’s was locked, i.e. he couldn’t proceed until he showed his cedula and someone else came over to unlock it while we waited.  

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
She is not a typical American. She is a typical idiot.

A typical American would not know where the Dominican Republic is, nor would they care.

I can attest to that!  Back in 2003 I wanted to see Costa Rica.  So I called up RTI to change our time share to Costa Rica.  It was full.  So I asked if there was anything else in the Caribbean.  She said the Dominican Republic.  My exact response to her was “What the hell is that?”  I told her to go ahead and book me at what would end up being Coconut Palms and I started googling the place.  Long story short, I moved here two years later.  Got my cedula, residencia, licensia a conducir all right away.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Im Dominican and you know how dificult is for us to travel to so many diferents countries arround the world, slowly those things has been changing and now we can visit more countries without visas, but some countries when i travel I could stay up to 90 days, some others only let me stay for 30 days, I think if some one is planning stay for 3 months better get an extension, if some one in an inmigration office tells just pay the fine at the exit I would insist to go over the legal process and skip the fine, and much more when the official information says there is a way extend your stay.

I know for example in Canada if they do not write your departure date you can stay up to 6 months, but that is not correct to do it, first time I visited there went for 11 days on dec 31 and they wrote in my passport June 31. When I visited Costa Rica they wrote in my passport 30 days, while visitting Argentina when I arrived they wrote 20 days, the exact ammount of days left to expire my visa, I went to Iguazu in the 3 borders, while there I went to Paraguay for 1 night and when I was back next day to Argentina they wrote in my passport 90 days stay with my visa expiring in 9 days. Every country has their own book and that doesnt mean could be the same all the time, its seem to be that new inmigration system is working.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Im Dominican and you know how dificult is for us to travel to so many diferents countries arround the world, slowly those things has been changing and now we can visit more countries without visas, but some countries when i travel I could stay up to 90 days, some others only let me stay for 30 days, I think if some one is planning stay for 3 months better get an extension, if some one in an inmigration office tells just pay the fine at the exit I would insist to go over the legal process and skip the fine, and much more when the official information says there is a way extend your stay.

I know for example in Canada if they do not write your departure date you can stay up to 6 months, but that is not correct to do it, first time I visited there went for 11 days on dec 31 and they wrote in my passport June 31. When I visited Costa Rica they wrote in my passport 30 days, while visitting Argentina when I arrived they wrote 20 days, the exact ammount of days left to expire my visa, I went to Iguazu in the 3 borders, while there I went to Paraguay for 1 night and when I was back next day to Argentina they wrote in my passport 90 days stay with my visa expiring in 9 days. Every country has their own book and that doesnt mean could be the same all the time, its seem to be that new inmigration system is working.

The problem is that there is currently NO way to get an extension beyond the 30 day tourist card for these people. The procedure has been to pay an overstay "fee". A way to increase that time for snowbirds would be a good thing to have, but it does not currently exist beyond paying an exit fee, which does mean the person is illegally in the country after 30 days.

As for how people are treated at immigration upon arrival in the DR if they have overstayed previously, that remains to be seen since we do not have enough data points to see what immigration is up to.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I have the regulation plan sticker in my pasport and thy did not even look for it, i was sent to pay the overstay.
Had to show it to them and thy said oooo. Not to menthion thy have nothing to tell me about what is going on with the plan, other then it is good for another year extended. I was told to go to santo D then satiago all of the people just say things to avoid the question. Why because thy do not know anything. Same old song

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy
Read above -- boteman says they renew every 30 days.

Maybe the dock renewals are easier

------------------------------------------
they say:
We had to pay for a 30 day visa. One the 31st day we applied and paid for a 60 day visa......then a 90 day visa, bla bla bla. I think all that still applies. I dunno. I'm starting to run on now so I'll go to bed! Respectfully.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
This gal doesn't seem any different to me than thousands of other snowbirds that come here for the winter every year and think that they are doing nothing wrong by staying more than 30 days - that is exactly what is posted on the Dominican Embassy website in the US, Canada, U.K., and others - and it is exactly what other posters on another thread were told by immigration officers at the airport.

She obviously didn't do enough homework before coming here, should never have mentioned "work", but it is legal in both the US and Canada for someone on a tourist visa to work online for a foreign company as long as the clients are foreign and the money is deposited in the home country. Is that not the case here in the DR? Link?

The larger point is that she was specifically told by the immigration officer that it is illegal to stay in the country more than 30 days and was warned that, if she overstayed more than 30 days this time, she would not be allowed back in the country. She also mentioned that 30-40 other passengers were pulled aside and detained while she whas there.

A recent poster had a problem when she mentioned that she was staying more than 30 days. Seems to me that something new is definitely going on here.

Well last spring in Puerto Plata in the Meeting place there was a meeting held regarding this and the snowbirds were told by the head if tourism himself to just pay exit fee and there would be no problem, so maybe that in itself is some of the issue. I have tried to tell a few that I know to get their residency especially the ones that own property and then this guy comes here and tells them they are fine so hard to convince them to do otherwise

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Well last spring in Puerto Plata in the Meeting place there was a meeting held regarding this and the snowbirds were told by the head if tourism himself to just pay exit fee and there would be no problem, so maybe that in itself is some of the issue. I have tried to tell a few that I know to get their residency especially the ones that own property and then this guy comes here and tells them they are fine so hard to convince them to do otherwise

I would like to know if some of you has visitted a Dominican consulate, Im sure there most be a visa or a process to extend the stay legaly, every country has it, and reading all this post its cousing problems for those that stay here in more than 30 days vacations. I think a Dominican consulate would be the correct place to ask for, and 2nd hand inmigration department if you are here in the Dominican Republic.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008

Please remember that in most cases, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Tourism, Navy, immigration and so on, all have their different set of rules. Most things are not uniform and consistent. We live right on the water and deal with many "powers that be" all with different answers.....even to lay one stone on a walkway...a tree planting or removal.....Bla bla bla.... Respectfully.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Man the bandwidth we waisted on this subject is incredible... and nothing has changed :( 

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Windy
Read above -- boteman says they renew every 30 days.

Maybe the dock renewals are easier

------------------------------------------
they say:
We had to pay for a 30 day visa. One the 31st day we applied and paid for a 60 day visa......then a 90 day visa, bla bla bla. I think all that still applies. I dunno. I'm starting to run on now so I'll go to bed! Respectfully.

If that were true he would have given an address where to extend the visa to 60 days and 90 days.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I would like to know if some of you has visitted a Dominican consulate, Im sure there most be a visa or a process to extend the stay legaly, every country has it, and reading all this post its cousing problems for those that stay here in more than 30 days vacations. I think a Dominican consulate would be the correct place to ask for, and 2nd hand inmigration department if you are here in the Dominican Republic.

Please check my posts in this thread.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If people insist on wasting their time looking for something that does not exist who cares?

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
I don't agree really with any points she is making in her video at all. She knows she is not a resident or citizen, so she cannot legally "work" in the country at all. Yes, there are people that do work here "illegally", but since its really a don't say anything about it and you'll be fine situation, she thinks that the officials will take it lightly ha. Acting like, oh I don't deserve to be in detention with these "other" people because I am not like them is so self centered. Online work here though is an issue I have observed as what really determines if youre working in a certain location or not, because there are people that come here on business and work for their respective companies still whether based in the US or other country. I have my citizenship, I know what I can and can't do here. They will always accept the overstay fee as long as you just go with the tried and true process that every informed person knows. Put no more than 30 days on tourist card, don't say you're working without proper permits, and when you leave just pay the fee. Yes, it's not being truthful, but the DR is many years from an extensive overhaul. When I came here to live by myself the first time in 2013 I didn't even think about citizenship yet and I was just living of what I saved. When I finally got my citizenship, I finally applied for jobs, insurance, etc. If this lady wants to live here, she should know she has to get residency. She acts like "oh its so unfair for me" like shes not seeing the irony in how people trying to come to the US have a tough time due to their requirements as well such as $$, sponsorship, etc.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Sorry I had the wrong thread. Check out post 42 and 109 in this thread http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/164706-Stuck-at-the-Airport

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Please remember that in most cases, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Tourism, Navy, immigration and so on, all have their different set of rules. Most things are not uniform and consistent. We live right on the water and deal with many "powers that be" all with different answers.....even to lay one stone on a walkway...a tree planting or removal.....Bla bla bla.... Respectfully.

A friend of mine had a sailboat and whenever he came here he anchored in Luperon. He told me the same thing. Apparently , boaters are in some kind of a different category and he got the extensions right there from immigration in Luperon harbor.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Apparently you missed some of the previous posts(?). Several members here have gone to DGM in SD and asked and they were told they don't give extensions.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Apparently you missed some of the previous posts(?). Several members here have gone to DGM in SD and asked and they were told they don't give extensions.

I just read the migration webpage and I can see that the part for those who wants an extention of your 30 days visa has the same fee when you go and paid at the airport when you leave, but note they ask for a form correctly filled, 2 copy of your passport, Original passport, copy of the stamped page when you arrived, copy of your ticket and MEDICAL INSURANCE,  after you have all those papers just go to pay.  So the process for extention exist, you just have to take the time to get all you need and spend a day at inmigration office, that way not broken rules.

Here is the link and hope you can understand spanish and what mean para aquiellos que desean una prorroga de estadia.
https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/index/21

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

There are two threads and I myself got confused which one I was in. One is about snowbirds overstaying the 30 day tourist card with no chance in hell for extention and this thread is about a woman that decided to move and work in the DR without checking the laws.