Nice house on the beach in Cabarete

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
. In Uvero Alto there are 2 big houses that don't meet any bodies version of code. One is already pretty much in the water but I am told that the *Excellence Del Carmen has approval to rebuild it as a beach restaurant.*
The other one is a 18 bedroom boutique hotel that is virtually next door to the marines and is about 20 meters from the water. I think the odd tip or 2 was paid on this one.

Any chance they were built before the law? *Near us there are several homes right on the beach, especially in Palenque, when you step out the door onto sand, and water is 10' away. Grandfathered in.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
There is no way that building is 60 meters (200') from the ocean. Hopefully it will wash away.

A bit harsh don't you think? It's just a house. And they've no pool or septic now.

It does look like less then 60 meters but the article only mentions the pool and septic being removed, nothing of the house being in violation.

Last edited by a moderator:

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
... And they've no pool or septic now.

It does look like less then 60 meters but the article only mentions the pool and septic being removed, nothing of the house being in violation.

That would suggest that septic would now be dumped directly into the Atlantic without even a small amount of filtration. As evidenced by the pipes in the picture.
The original plans were approved with 2 floors with a minimum occupation of the land by the tourism ministry.
Result: 4 floors and a land occupation of almost 100% and has no space available for the facilities and amenities established....

That would suggest the "house" is in violation.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The structure can be found on Google Earth at the these coordinates: 19?46'24.96" N 70?26'07.01" W Just copy/paste them in the search bar.

The set back as I understand it is 60 meter to the mean high tide line. Using the " GE Ruler", it looks like it just squeaks in at 60 meters to the water's edge in the photo. Is it at high tide when the photo was taken? Where was the high tide line when it was approved?

In any case, the pool and septic are definitely within the 60 meter set back.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Any chance they were built before the law? *Near us there are several homes right on the beach, especially in Palenque, when you step out the door onto sand, and water is 10' away. Grandfathered in.

The one in the water probably. *The hotel one was originally a 2 bedroom house and now is 18 bedrooms done in tha last few years. So I think propinas made it happen

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A bit harsh don't you think? It's just a house. And they've no pool or septic now.

I don't think its harsh. Rules are put into place for everybody. Just because you have deeper pockets or highly placed friends shouldn't exempt you from the rules.*

May 29, 2006
They should be forced to live there... ugh, what an eyesore. I bet it starts listing towards the ocean, which will make the whole thing unstable.

Reminds me of the cliffside mansions in CA that ended up falling into the ocean.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Slightly OT but talking of eyesores, has anyone else noticed the monstrosity that has appeared on the hilltop just east of Gaspar Hernandez, above the Casa Blanca restaurant?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't think its harsh. Rules are put into place for everybody. Just because you have deeper pockets or highly placed friends shouldn't exempt you from the rules.*
Welcome to the universe melphis.
As Cyndi Lauper sang "Money Changes Everything"

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

My "harsh" response was in regards to the house washing away. And I agree about following rules, I think the DR should adopt 1st world type Zoning laws and stick to them. But that is in the distant future.

We don't know what the story is as to how the septic and pool ended up in non-compliance or what the owner was told or thought. I've been building for 50 years (I'm 62) and I can tell you it's not an exact science. Stuff happens.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Nature will have its way

With certainty this I say
The hurricanes will blow

The house will eventually go
We will have the last laugh someday.

*The long fetch ( the length of the open ocean area where the wind can generate waves) combined with hurricanes with prevailing winds will create waves that will pound that beach and undermine the disturbed natural berm. The owner will be constantly battling the elements in that location. I believe everyone gets what they deserve in life. If that's what he gets, then that's what he deserves. Karma can bite you in the ass when your not looking. Lol!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Having had ocean front property on higher protecting cliffs and set back.... Ecoman is right. The salt air is a constant maintenance issue as it penetrates the cement and eats into rebar and expands it. Everything becomes infected with the salt air. No way to stop nature and her process. The disruption with the construction with change the lands natural resistance very quickly. I've seen this over and over with huge amounts of money poor ... right into the ocean to disappear with the first storm.

Russian? Not the first place that a Russian has build that violates several laws. I have friends that tell me that one major project on the ocean that is expanding have the septic going straight into the ocean. Never mind about several other infractions that are too many to list. But it's not just the Russians as it has become the norm that anyone with money can do what they want.

Another blatant case of disrespect and paying off others to get what they want and everyone else and the law can go to hell as far as they are concerned.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Another example is "Seawinds" in Punta Goleta 2. It's the "W" shaped project that you can see on Google Earth about 2.5km SE of the beach house. Part of that project, including the pool, is built within the 60m setback. I think it was approved and built around 2012(?). I've heard from good sources that many wealthy, well connected Dominicans own units there.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Salt air, poor quality construction, ocean waves will make short work of this house. Wonder if they used salt water in the concrete mix. I give it five years before it starts falling apart. Those poor rich people. Living on the ocean can be a big shock. Your cars, air conditioning, any exposed metal practically dissolves. Not to mention easy criminal access by boat. Good luck.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Salt air, poor quality construction, ocean waves will make short work of this house. Wonder if they used salt water in the concrete mix. I give it five years before it starts falling apart. Those poor rich people. Living on the ocean can be a big shock. Your cars, air conditioning, any exposed metal practically dissolves. Not to mention easy criminal access by boat. Good luck.

true *words, zoom. i have never understood this fascination about living beachside, when you need new appliances every 4 years, and yout tv lasts 5, at best.*

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

Yeah, I'd rather be up on a hill.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
My "harsh" response was in regards to the house washing away. And I agree about following rules, I think the DR should adopt 1st world type Zoning laws and stick to them. But that is in the distant future.

We don't know what the story is as to how the septic and pool ended up in non-compliance or what the owner was told or thought. I've been building for 50 years (I'm 62) and I can tell you it's not an exact science. Stuff happens.

In a perfect world when the septic tanks are full a really big wave would come along and force sewage up to the top floor. This would be a rinse and repeat until the game changing wave comes along and takes out the windows and furniture. Then maybe they will understand why the rules where put in place.
As I said in perfect world. I dont think any of their high placed friends could do much for them then.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Lots have the oceanside home fantasy, lulled to sleep by the waves. Sure cure for the fantasy is owning one. Does our north coast get Tsunamis? Mother nature will be the final fix for any and all zoning violations

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Yep. I always tell folks the only people interested in living on the beach are folks that haven't lived on the beach.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we don't even live on the beach (about 5 minutes walk) but everything rots, breaks, moulds and falls apart. a house as close to the beach as the one in this thread requires constant maintenance.