Nice restaurants in Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, I am only an insider in Santiago. Those places up on the coast are for you furriners :p:p

HB

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
There have been some very good selections mentioned, but my two favorites are not on the lists.

Cafe Capresso in Plaza Otimus (main location with full service menu) great food at a good price and a very attentive wait staff, and a smaller sandwich, salad & dessert cafe in Colinas Mall. The main location is also open for breakfast. We've gone through most of the menu and haven't found anything that we didn't like.

Next favorite: Tablon on Calle Del Sol opposite the Monument. Best American Cheese Burgers in Santiago. We've tried several other items on the menu and all have been very good. Same owners as Maroma.

There is another place that I dare to mention...I know I'm going to get groans, but the Pasta House has the best Eggplant Parmesan in the city.

The Rancho Steak House appetizer Parmesan is also pretty good. I wasn't overly impressed with the steaks (at least for the price). Fish was very good though.

Fresh seafood can be found at Marisco Central also on Calle Del Sol close to the Monument. Beautiful setting.

Dianne

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I understand there is an Argentinian restaurant in Santiago. Any 411 on it?

Also-I'm told there is a restaurant owned by a Thai couple, that although they don't have a big Thai menu are delighted to cook traditional Thai dishes (like Nam Sod and Pad Thai) if asked in advance. Anyone know of it?

TIA

Last edited:

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Can’t remember the name, but the Argentinean restaurant is in Plaza Optimus (Feb 27th) on the second floor at the extreme left hand corner. Good food at decent prices.

If Caffeto is the one up on the side of a mountain (out from Santiago), then I agree.

Dianne

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
The argentinian restaurant is "Che Tango" and is in Plaza Optimus, good steak.
My favorite is "Bife de Chorizo" A type of new York Strip.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is now a sushi place on Metropolitana and 10; plus two new places on Calle 10....Have not tried them.

Some friends went to and found it empty!! Then they went over to one of the newer places..I'll try and get a report.

HB :D:D

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
I was recently invited to a place called Vaquere, in Jardines Metro not far from Estrellla Sadhala. I loved it. Quiet, high-end price but with the right level of quality service, and most excellent Spanish-themed modern cuisine. Fine dish presentation, especially the desserts and their cool set of unique glasses for apperitifs and/or sweet liquors. Don't know the exact address, but if you don;t mind to run the bill here and there, this small but exclusive restaurant could be a nice surprise to impress your companion(s).
- Tordok

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And that happens to be where my friends went when they left Maroma!!
they told me that they were most pleased, as they had made a suggestion about one of her favorite dishes, and when they returned, they had it just right.

Might have to try it..

HB :D:D

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am a steak kind of guy andf the Entrana at Che Tango is one of the top 5 steaks I have had anywhere. It is 960 pesos for a 16 ounce skirt steak. Slightly crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, cooked on an outdoor grill over a wood fire. . . . .incredibly good.

the last three meals I have eaten in santiago have been at Che Tango. The last time was last saturday night. Took a dominican buddy. . . .his first bitoe brought out an "ave maria" from his mouth. . .

Wag said:
The argentinian restaurant is "Che Tango" and is in Plaza Optimus, good steak.
My favorite is "Bife de Chorizo" A type of new York Strip.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some updates:
Maroma is dead.
Tiriquillo is no more

On Calle 11 in Los Jardines (near the Bon place) IF YOU TURN LEFT COMING FROM 27 DE FEBRERO< there is an Italian place on the left and a brand new place on the right. IF YOU TURN RIGHT> there is a neat little Italian place called Amici of the left side next to the kid's clothing place.

Mezzaluna is no more.

Nano's is still good.

So is the Pez Dorado--their wine list is probably #1.

HB

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Bueno acabo de ir al antiguo che tnago ahora con nueva administracion
Roots.
Tienes un nice lounge and food still good.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Roots.still has the menu of the old Che tango.
They are a grill steak house type of restaurant.
4 adults, we order 1/2 of a VIP parrillada and we had leftovers.
Me quality is very good. Now be careful with don't order the meat welldone will come out tooooo dry. Owner is the Amfrition and haves lots of stories to tell.
They are remodeling the lounge, they expect to have the gran opening Sept 5. Their plans are to add vegetarian and seafood items to their menu.
ah.... Parrillada, 2 refresco, 4 cervesas the check was 1480.RD
nice place to go and relax with friends....nothing like Ahibar. this is a outdoor restaurant in Plaza Optimus.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Carne! They have an enramada out back, good meat, good beer. Not fancy, but great people, quality, no chopos...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Another update (this ought to be a sticky):

the Argentinian steakhouse "Parradillada Argentina" is now called "Puerto Madero" and I just had a great steak and rice and beans for RD415 incl. taxes and a RD50 tip. The cut was a "churrasco" something at RD290 and it was relatively thick cut, arrived hot and cooked correctly. It was way more than I could eat so I guess I'll have to have a nice steak sandwhich after I get back form the Aguilas game. This is my new steakhouse and I recommend it to anyone.

Don't forget too we have a great seafood restaurant here in Santiago, "La Bahia" where the food is delicious and the prices are very reasonable - forget "Mariscos Centro" that is for tourists who like their food bad, cold and expensive.