Nightmare in La Romana for Oregon Tourists

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I'll go even farther. I think driving in the US is way more taxing than driving in the DR. There are a few places that I have been in the DR that are truly nasty, traffic-wise, basically, the arterials in really densely developed areas. But outside of those few heavily trafficked arterials, the roads are basically ghost towns, volume-wise, compared with your average suburban arterial in the states. I mean, ten minutes outside of SD in any direction and its basically smooth sailing. 20 minutes outside of any large US city and you are still in the thick of it, swarmed by thousands of other drivers.

Driving in the DR is perilous, no doubt. The road design is wretched, the signals are a joke and most vehicles are rattletrap. But if you can drive in NYC, or in the central business district of a major US city, driving in the DR is a cake walk.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Most people that visit me, here in the dr, go into shock driving back from the airport....
This is insane, is the mostly used comment.
However after a couple of drives ( as a passenger that is, I am not mad :) ), they actually marvel at the strange "ballet" : people move in and out of traffic, move over to let overtaking cars squeeze through......
As opposed to western countries, where 65 year old wheezer will run right into you, just cos he has the right of way.

I, by far, enjoy driving here, much more than back in europe.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
As I always ask, have you ever seen a bad accident here? One cannot drive in any US city for 3 weeks without seeing a baddie, but in 4 years I've never seen one here. Myth I tell you Myth!

Does splattered brains on the asphalt or severed limbs count as bad? Then yes, many times. If DR upped car ownership percentage and average speed to US levels, this would be a real horror show.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am still trying to break myself from the assumption that a problem ahead will be signaled by the brake lights of a vehicle in front of me.

Even the bulbs in an $80,000.00 Lexus burn out and don't seem to get replaced.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
You often conflate life in the Dominican Republic to life all over Latin America. Maybe he learned Spanish in Argentina, or Cuba.
The DR is not representative of all countries in Latin America. It is an afro-carribbean banana republic with massive corruption within the police force and a strong tendency toward mob mentality and vigilante justice.
This really frustrates me, as it is an inaccurate portrayal of life elsewhere. I loved living in Venezuela and Colombia (where I am returning very shortly) but loathe living here.

You certainly have no business being in a place you think so low of. It is in fact stupid to do so, with so many countries available to choose from.

Yet, implying that the situation in Colombia and especially VENEZUELA is 'better' than in the DR (in any respect) casts a lot of doubt on your judgement and familiarity with the region. I doubt many Venezuelans would agree with you. The situation in Colombia has improved from what it was years ago, but still few would cite it as an example of a place that is MUCH better off than the DR.

Then again, by all means, move on...

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I have doubts about this story . The man said he speaks fluent spanish so it is almost certain he knows latin america .. he was warned to go away and the victim was already dead..so why did he hang around ..so what the police supposed to do when there is a car with airbags inflated a motor bike run over by the car and a dead cyclist .Of course he has to be detained. The using of the phrase third world country will probably keep him confined for much longer .

What I find most amazing is how quickly posters around here 'know' that the "gringos" account is 100% accurate...they couldn't possibly be lying could they? They just don't ever lie.

Yet, I see funny aspects to their story, some of which you pointed out.

For example, if the man had been dead already and there were on-lookers on the scene, why didn't anyone bother to drag the motorcycle from the road to the side? A motorcycle isn't very heavy, is it?

Was the crowd "preserving evidence"? Well, not really, because in all probability a motorcycle lying in the middle of the road would be hit over and over by other motorists...which would destroy the evidence...That, and why none of the witnesses backed their story up? (or it wasn't mentioned)...were they all in a conspiracy to blame the foreigners (even when they themselves had no particularly incentive to do so)?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What I find most amazing is how quickly posters around here 'know' that the "gringos" account is 100% accurate...they couldn't possibly be lying could they? They just don't ever lie.

For example, if the man had been dead already and there were on-lookers on the scene, why didn't anyone bother to drag the motorcycle from the road to the side? A motorcycle isn't very heavy, is it?

Was the crowd "preserving evidence"? Well, not really, because in all probability a motorcycle lying in the middle of the road would be hit over and over by other motorists...which would destroy the evidence...That, and why none of the witnesses backed their story up? (or it wasn't mentioned)...were they all in a conspiracy to blame the foreigners (even when they themselves had no particularly incentive to do so)?

well, having been in the insurance business for nearly a quarter of a century, and having recreated innumerable accidents, one thing i can tell, from looking at a picture of the car, is that the guy did not knock the motorcycle over, but that he ran over it as it lay on the roadway. that is as much as i am willing to say, not having been there.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015

Exactly Virgo! The Gringo account is consistently taken as gospel and all discussion begins from there. As an example, people proudly announce that they sidestepped paying a government fee and then whine about a Dominican cheating them in some way. The inconsistency comes from an "us vs. Them" mentality.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Exactly Virgo! The Gringo account is consistently taken as gospel and all discussion begins from there. As an example, people proudly announce that they sidestepped paying a government fee and then whine about a Dominican cheating them in some way. The inconsistency comes from an "us vs. Them" mentality.

I find the exact opposite to be reality where it counts. The dominican "justice" system. The gringo is always at fault.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I find the exact opposite to be reality where it counts. The dominican "justice" system. The gringo is always at fault.

The Gringo with "no connections" is always at fault. Not all of them.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Perhaps because of the faith, or rather the lack of it, they have in their own PN........

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I do not think the two staements are necesarily incompatible.. We tend to think that gringos always tell the truth and Dominicans never. In a court it really does not matter because the judge may believe that the gringo is telling the truth but will still give a judgement to the Dominican . We all know that if the police get involved then the gringo will be told he is guilty because he can pay up to keepout of court. Just evidence that you must follow the Dominican way of doing things and leave the scene rather than run the risk of being incriminated

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Just evidence that you must follow the Dominican way of doing things and leave the scene rather than run the risk of being incriminated

Are there negative legal consequences for leaving a scene and getting pulled back in later? Similar to being cited for leaving the scene of an accident in the US?

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015

Kipling posted a higher minded and more comprehensive response than what I was stating. I simply meant on DR1, not the legal system. I need to broaden my horizons.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Are there negative legal consequences for leaving a scene and getting pulled back in later? Similar to being cited for leaving the scene of an accident in the US?

Not in this case when all the Dominicans fled and advised the two gringos to do the same ....No one wants to get involved with the police so no one will report you unless they are directly involved and are still alive .

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Kipling posted a higher minded and more comprehensive response than what I was stating. I simply meant on DR1, not the legal system. I need to broaden my horizons.

Ok. Are you saying some here are jaded? lol No way! Also it is likely backlash for the fact that in justice systems eyes they are always wrong and the whole "no fui yo" attitude.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Spent some time googling, and this story seems to have disappeared around November 20th.

If anyone come across new information, let me know and I will reopen.

Status
Not open for further replies.