No Entry: Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
It is commendable that some controls are made to regulate the ambient at this establishments.

The ambient what?

Can you explain yourself a little otherwise some of the more literal minded people here will think you are in favour of discriminating on grounds of colour / race.
I am sure you are not but it is probably best to clear this up.

Did you post under a different name on DR1 before?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I think he meant to say "ambiance".

I gathered that - but what about the rest of the post?
It seems he/she is in favour of discriminating on grounds of colour/race to improve the ambiance in this club.

As she/he only has 5 posts it would be a shame to get off on the wrong foot. Who could take this poster's further comments seriously after a comment like that.
I am sure that is not what she/he meant so I am suggesting they clarify.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Explaining to the more literal minded people here, I am in favor of controlar el ambiente en estos establecimientos on the grounds of personal choice, so please spare me your questionable outrage.
NO I am a newcomer at this posting thing, recently retired with too much time on my hands

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I've got a radical idea,

why don't we all keep quiet until Tim talks to the Main Manager there at the Napolitano, and posts back to us the outcome. Then we will know for sure what when on and what the resolution is.

Not what everyone thinks or guesses or understands, or are sure they are the only ones with an opinion that counts. We tend to do this over robbery's, murders, etc. Everyone has an opinion but most of them seem to turn out not to be the correct one.

This was about an entry denied to a club, not race relations in the USA, and every where else. Thought that was against the rules anyway.

Patiently waiting for Tim's reply back to us:ermm::bunny:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Explaining to the more literal minded people here, I am in favor of controlar el ambiente en estos establecimientos on the grounds of personal choice, so please spare me your questionable outrage.
NO I am a newcomer at this posting thing, recently retired with too much time on my hands

Well if it is your personal choice that it should be OK to refuse entry into a club on grounds of colour / race then you will not find many friends here.

And my outrage in that case is not questionable.
It is just outrage.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
In the USA Dominicans need translators in hospital and government offices, they need bilingual schools and naturalization test written in Spanish. Are those the same need of West Indian people?.

Dominicans also need immigration reforms, easier path to naturalization.

No you need the same advantages english speakers here receive at Dominican Hospitals, and Government offices. And forms in their native language.
Hum have not seen any of these, dr's yes if you get lucky.

Immigration reform maybe needs streamlined but not just for dominicans. Still think the USA should adopt Mexico's immigration policy!

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
pedro,having a legitimate dissenting opinion other than your own, does not make me any less serious or to be on the wrong foot.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I've got a radical idea,

why don't we all keep quiet until Tim talks to the Main Manager there at the Napolitano, and posts back to us the outcome. Then we will know for sure what when on and what the resolution is.

Not what everyone thinks or guesses or understands, or are sure they are the only ones with an opinion that counts. We tend to do this over robbery's, murders, etc. Everyone has an opinion but most of them seem to turn out not to be the correct one.

This was about an entry denied to a club, not race relations in the USA, and every where else. Thought that was against the rules anyway.

Patiently waiting for Tim's reply back to us:ermm::bunny:

Not posting while waiting for Tim's response will only accomplish one thing; killing the thread and the interest poster have on this topic. So far everything that have been posted is DR/race related so no problem there.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Not posting while waiting for Tim's response will only accomplish one thing; killing the thread and the interest poster have on this topic. So far everything that have been posted is DR/race related so no problem there.

Let's hope it can remain that way.
As you're aware, as soon as it shows any signs of turning south, it will be shut down.

Up until now, I'm pleasantly surprised it has remained this civil, long may it remain :)

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
pedro,having a legitimate dissenting opinion other than your own, does not make me any less serious or to be on the wrong foot.

This is a discussion forum, So you post, I comment, I post you comment.
We all post and discuss.

Would you like that you post and them nobody comments?

So let me get this straight - you think that the owners of this club should be allowed, as a matter right, to withhold entry on grounds of colour or race?

And even that by doing this the ambiance of a club could be enhanced?

Well, get to the back of the bus folks!
We are off back to the 40s.

Wow!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Mr Pork is probably just offended by people wearing flip-flops :)

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

Sorry, but your previous comment, printed below, is pretty blatant in it's intent.

It is commendable that some controls are made to regulate the ambient at this establishments.

You don't control "the ambiance" of the place by turning away black patrons.

As for everyone else, Robert is right. This thread has been very civil and very good so far.

My suggestion is to ignore this poster, he is obviously trolling.

Pretend he's not even here.

Garnering outraged responses is all he's trying to do.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe we are not "black enough". I wonder if we are even invited to the West Indian Parade?, I know Haitians are.
I don't know about the West Indian Parade ordeal, but the schism that exist between much of the rest of the West Indies and the Spanish West Indies could be due to two things:

A. People must remember that in colonial times, each colony identified with its colonial 'homeland' and the nationalism that eventually developed in places like Spain, France, Netherlands, and the UK reappeared in its colonies. For much of colonial history (especially after the Spanish Armada was 'defeated' by the British - personally, I think the weather had more to do with that -), these colonial powers were not keen to seeing eye-to-eye in Europe and where ever they had a presence in the rest of the world.

This mistrust could very well be a residue of the regional colonial experience. There are plenty other examples, such as Sir Francis Drake. To me, he was a villain, scum of the earth, good for nothing, should had never been born; but I've met plenty of historians of the Anglo-Saxon cultural variety (from the English-speaking Caribbean and the US) that attempted to make Sir Francis Drake appear as some truly great figure. And despite understanding why they see him in such positive light, I still find it ridiculous.

B. There is the economic issue. Except for Trinidad and Tobago, the DR has tremendous advantages with every Caribbean country when it comes to trade in almost every single economic sector. The DR trade balance is positive even with Puerto Rico - and I mention this because in theory, given PR's relationship with the US, the number of US firms with operations there, and the suppose greater efficiency everything is done there; PR should be the one with a surplus rather than a deficit in its trade with the DR. Given that all those islands, particularly the ones in the lesser Antilles, have an economy that is only a tiny fraction of the DR's and the advantages the DR naturally has in almost everything, they are probably afraid their economies will be dominated by Santo Domingo based firms. That can have several implications, and what I stated in section A may well be a motivating factor behind all of this as well -- ie. the notion that the Spanish-speaking Caribbean will become the central focus of the English-speaking Caribbean economy.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Nals, Vacara,

I hate when this happens!

I think I was wrong.

To talk about a black race seems to suggest everyone who is not Euro, Asian, South Asian, Arab, Polynesian, Eskimo, etc.

Especially in the context of the D.R.

Maybe then it should be described as colourism and not racism.

Hmmm.

More thinking on the matter needed.

One lives and learns....context seems to be important in this issue.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I ve read all of the responses to the post that I had written yesterday and I dont think I can introduce any more issues before this becomes a circular conversation.

So we will agree to disagree, even though as my concluding point, I think that people who think the way you profess to are psychologically delusional and any culture that consumes those theories and practices them devoutly is pathologically delusional. By me choosing to believe that others are delusional removes so much weight from my psyche and also enhances my understanding of what common sense is and what it does ideologically.

Now that could be an ad hominem attack but it wasnt. It is just me saying I will never see things the way you do.

And uhmmmm...by the way, wasnt someone supposed to hook me up with their aunts in Porto Plata so I could invite them to my Church of Smashology? And like a good Crushtian, they would make a contribution to the Sav-a-Hoe Foundation.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
No you need the same advantages english speakers here receive at Dominican Hospitals, and Government offices. And forms in their native language.
Hum have not seen any of these, dr's yes if you get lucky.
!

Is the US so broke that they now need to imitate DR and its social policy?. Hmmmmm...........maybe Nals is right and there's really no superpower.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I don't know about the West Indian Parade ordeal, but the schism that exist between much of the rest of the West Indies and the Spanish West Indies could be due to two things:

A. People must remember that in colonial times, each colony identified with its colonial 'homeland' and the nationalism that eventually developed in places like Spain, France, Netherlands, and the UK reappeared in its colonies. For much of colonial history (especially after the Spanish Armada was 'defeated' by the British - personally, I think the weather had more to do with that -), these colonial powers were not keen to seeing eye-to-eye in Europe and where ever they had a presence in the rest of the world.

This mistrust could very well be a residue of the regional colonial experience. There are plenty other examples, such as Sir Francis Drake. To me, he was a villain, scum of the earth, good for nothing, should had never been born; but I've met plenty of historians of the Anglo-Saxon cultural variety (from the English-speaking Caribbean and the US) that attempted to make Sir Francis Drake appear as some truly great figure. And despite understanding why they see him in such positive light, I still find it ridiculous.

B. There is the economic issue. Except for Trinidad and Tobago, the DR has tremendous advantages with every Caribbean country when it comes to trade in almost every single economic sector. The DR trade balance is positive even with Puerto Rico - and I mention this because in theory, given PR's relationship with the US, the number of US firms with operations there, and the suppose greater efficiency everything is done there; PR should be the one with a surplus rather than a deficit in its trade with the DR. Given that all those islands, particularly the ones in the lesser Antilles, have an economy that is only a tiny fraction of the DR's and the advantages the DR naturally has in almost everything, they are probably afraid their economies will be dominated by Santo Domingo based firms. That can have several implications, and what I stated in section A may well be a motivating factor behind all of this as well -- ie. the notion that the Spanish-speaking Caribbean will become the central focus of the English-speaking Caribbean economy.

There's nothing I can add to this. Perfectly said.

Status
Not open for further replies.