No more PPeses for DR...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Much of the clothes sent in in "Pacas",were donated clothes,free clothes,and other "Free Stuff"collected by Dominicans in NYC and Boston.
Thet set up big yellow metal containers to get donations,they pay the establisments,mostly gas stations in better neighborhoods, a monthly fee for using the space.
The containers are embossed with statements about how your donation will help the poor.
But they really help the Dominican"Con Artists".
CCCCCCCC

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
False.
We bought high quality brand clothes at a bargain price (genuine leather bags, too).
We even found clothes from Germany, very good quality.
I think, a lot of this stuff comes from donations to Haiti and then gets into the wrong hands.

Sure it does.
There is no theory involved. My wife browses through the makeshift shops, she is very good at knowing the quality of the garments.
We would never find that quality in Dominican shops, unless we pay a much higher price.

While you think we are wrong, we do it right almost daily. :bunny:

donP

Who would have thunk that people go clothe shopping everyday. But okay dude, happy trails to you and yours!!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Making a living with 'pacas'

Much of the clothes sent in in "Pacas",were donated clothes,free clothes,and other "Free Stuff"collected by Dominicans in NYC and Boston.

This is certainly the case.

On the other hand, I know that in regular intervals women from our area travel to the Haiti border in order to buy clothes and shoes there.
This 'merchandise' could also stem (at least partly) from donations (not only from the US) as the quality and kind of clothes reveals.

Although the donations were meant to be given to the very poor and really are used to make money, I also know, that many (not very fortunate) people make a living in this trade.

donP

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Anyone remember Tokyo Motors. The place to go to buy a used appliances. The place used to do a bustling business. They even imported the right hand drive vehicles.

If you wanted a Denyo generator, they were THE place to go.

Split Air Conditioners? They couldn't import them fast enough. Used Japanese A/C's were cheap, cost next to nothing, and were easy to fix.

Tokyo Motors is gone now, along with all of the dozens of other places that imported trailers of used appliances, because the law was passed prohibiting the importation of them. Guess who used to complain about Tokyo Motors?

Now it's more of the same, this time with clothes.

JD, is that the one that they spelled "Tokio Motors" or something? It seems like they were shut down for some kind of importation tax fraud or something, I can't really remember the details. But anyway, I agree that they were the place for those super silent Denyos, bummer they are gone.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
According to the news, the original law was passed under Balaguer's term to prevent used hospital clothes from being imported. It appears now their must be some influence most likely from some big business. I have doubt given the outrage that this law will last long. People in the campo all over depend on this, not to mention Haitians as well.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This is certainly the case.

On the other hand, I know that in regular intervals women from our area travel to the Haiti border in order to buy clothes and shoes there.
This 'merchandise' could also stem (at least partly) from donations (not only from the US) as the quality and kind of clothes reveals.

Although the donations were meant to be given to the very poor and really are used to make money, I also know, that many (not very fortunate) people make a living in this trade.

donP

This is not quite as sinister as it is made out to be.. most of the used clothing comes into Haiti from dealers in Florida who buy off of Goodwill and the Salvation Army. They buy and pack and ship all over the world. Once the dealers have bought them they enter the chain of merchandise again as trade goods. In that they are not donated per se to Haiti but were donated to goodwill etc... Also true for NIKE and other manufacturers overruns which get sent to these same brokers.

There have been a lot of complaints about this practice in Africa where they call it dumping and say that it has completely wiped out the traditional African weaving tradition and exports.

Even five years ago, almost all the clothing came in from the Haitian border. Then a FTZ in Pedernales opened up accepting used clothing there and sorting it into pacas and more and more pacas were advertised in SD,

Leonel spoke of this earlier,, how it drove the tailors and store owners of new clothing out of business.

It will be interesting to see if they still let the trade in from Haiti.

If they don't there won't really be any legal trade since the American rice (Which is subsidized) is already illegal.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The article I was reading says... No more boxes containing used cloths and shoes will be delivery by Dominican cargo companies from the US as Direccion General de aduanas is going to confiscate...

Example; I sent a small box containing two hammer drills and some work cloths, donation to a handyman friend of mine who lives in Santiago and is struggling to support his family.

Fortunately I was told to write on the box many time on the box; Donation, donation... it got to it's destination in less than two weeks using a FL. PO box / address and shipped to DR by Vimenca SA.

How in the world my buddy was going to buy a Hilti hammer drill if it will cost him about 30,000. Pesos. I got it used from Craigslist for 50 bucks and the other one an old craftsman x two Dollars from a state sales...

People in DR don't have an idea of what theses governments are doing for them.

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I know this, but from the post before mine including "rubio's" people made it sound as though clothes bought in Plaza Lama and La Sirena were crap because they came from china.

My point is simple, china manufactures more clothes than anyone else including the US, and they sell them everywhere including the US, *meaning that any used clothes "pacas" brought in from abroad can't be any better than the ones being sold in la Sirena and Plaza Lama because they are all most likely made in china.

Taino I think you are Dominican, aren't you...so I say: es un decir I am not saying per se that all clothing manufactured in China is crap. Hey, I myself have purchased fiber optic transmitters in China, because they were 10% of price of US brands (most likely manufacture din China as well) and lots of cable company owners I know decided to digitize their head-ends with Chinese equipment. BUT most of the clothes sold in Lama and Sirena >>IS<< crap. Maybe it was manufactured in Somalia, I don't know. You buy jeans in Sirena or Lama, you wash it 3 times and the color is gone. Just an example. Even lots of children clothing bought in SEMA is not so durable. I have purchased clothing online for my daughter in JCPenney, Kohls, GAP, old navy etc. and virtually EVERYTHING is of better quality than clothing you can buy here in the DR.

Taino, I come from a Central European country, a former communist one, which is now part of European Union, Schengen and the Euro-zone. But STILL, some "top brand" clothing bought there is not the same as top brand clothing bought in Germany, for example. Even thought it looks the same, feels the same, is the same brand, the quality is not the same. Even in Spain you do not get the same quality you get in Germany. It may look identical, but it is not.

I am 100% sure that even the major brands (e.g. Nike, Aeropostale, etc.) do not sell their prime quality in the DR! Worldwide examples speak that.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
with clothing that is not color fast .. like the fabric that comes in here from india,,, is not treated and has to be washed in vinegar to seal the color,

it is not that it is made in china, per se.. it is the manufacturer's specs

some very good clothing comes out of china like lands end and jjill

Feb 7, 2007
with clothing that is not color fast .. like the fabric that comes in here from india,,, is not treated and has to be washed in vinegar to seal the color,

it is not that it is made in china, per se.. it is the manufacturer's specs

some very good clothing comes out of china like lands end and jjill

- know about white winager used in wahing cycle to preserve colors. No luck with that on jeans bought in la sirena or plaza lama.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
- know about white winager used in wahing cycle to preserve colors. No luck with that on jeans bought in la sirena or plaza lama.

rubio, the first thing my Dominican brother-in-law wants to buy when he comes to NJ are his favorite Lee Jeans. He agrees with you 100%.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Taino I think you are Dominican, aren't you...so I say: es un decir I am not saying per se that all clothing manufactured in China is crap. Hey, I myself have purchased fiber optic transmitters in China, because they were 10% of price of US brands (most likely manufacture din China as well) and lots of cable company owners I know decided to digitize their *head-ends with Chinese equipment. BUT most of the clothes sold in Lama and Sirena >>IS<< crap. Maybe it was manufactured in Somalia, I don't know. You buy jeans in Sirena or Lama, you wash it 3 times and the color is gone. Just an example. Even lots of children clothing bought in SEMA is not so durable. I have purchased clothing online for my daughter in JCPenney, Kohls, GAP, old navy etc. and virtually EVERYTHING is of better quality than clothing you can buy here in the DR.

Taino, I come from a Central European country, a former communist one, which is now part of European Union, Schengen and the Euro-zone. But STILL, some "top brand" clothing bought there is not the same as top brand clothing bought in Germany, for example. Even thought it looks the same, feels the same, is the same brand, the quality is not the same. Even in Spain you do not get the same quality you get in Germany. It may look identical, but it is not.

I am 100% sure that even the major brands (e.g. Nike, Aeropostale, etc.) do not sell their prime quality in the DR! Worldwide examples speak that.

What does my being Dominican have to do with anything being discussed here? If I'm right or wrong, then I'm right or wrong whether I'm Dominican or Arabean. The status of my nationality holds no standing in this debate.

But really, what exactly are we debating here? Are we debating on whether clothes sold else where is better than the clothes sold here? It that's your debate, then I concede on that. But remember this forum is about used clothes, not new clothes from abroad. My point is simple, when considering used clothes no one really knows what they are receiving. At the moment of buying used clothes you don't know if it was of the highest quality WHEN IT WAS NEW because now its all old and wrinkled and out of form; in essence, the garment could be of the same cheaper quality clothes bought in Plaza Lama and La Sirena as you stated before.

So finally, where is the benefit of buying used over new other than buying for less. Unfortunately, most of you can't fathom the fact that some of these used garments might actually be doing the people more harm than good. Hasn't anyone on this forum thought about the crabs and or any other diseases carried into the country through these clothes?

Just a worrying thought from this simple Dominican.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Taino my good friend, I as an American have worn used clothes all my life. My sister still buys at a thrift shop. Everyone in the campo in wife's family has bought used clothes shipped from the US. In fact from what I've seen many, many people here in the DR buy used clothes because they just can't afford to spend RD300 for a tshirt and RD500 for a pair of jeans. Nobody I know that has ever had used clothes has ever gotten a skin disease. It is a reality here in the DR and that's why Pueblo Nuevo is packed every Thursday and in the campo the have used clothes parties in Moca frequently. I know we just went to one and I spent RD2100.

Sincerely

Ing. "Chi"

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Only Leaves are Cheaper

(...) they just can't afford to spend RD300 for a tshirt and RD500 for a pair of jeans.
In LT you would hardly find those prices in a 'boutique' or shop. Double or triple rather.
I wear Bermuda shorts a lot. My wife bought "Dockers" at 150 Pesos, price tag of 29.99 $ still on it....

Next will be the brand "banana leaves" (by Yanadu, Ltd.) for 30 Pesos... :bunny:

donP

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yet another blow to the poor and lower middle class by the powers that be. A while back the association of new car importers "lobbied" the government to impose a rule to only import cars 5 year old or newer, thus making it harder for people to have access to cheaper cars that used car importers were bringing into the country and selling for a couple of thousand dollar. Now it's the mega stores turn to turn back any competition that the Paca trade was bringing upon then. No such thing as anti-monopoly law in The DR...if your business is losing out because your price is more expensive just make the competition go out of business...

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I use the used clothes shops as well (hard to find my size in shops) The only clothes I even think of buying in La Sirena is socks underwear and undershirts everything else there is too small and crap IMHO I have gotten brand new clothes out of the paca shops I have had clothes for a few years that where used. When i want something new and nice I spend !

Feb 7, 2007
What does my being Dominican have to do with anything being discussed here? If I'm right or wrong, then I'm right or wrong whether I'm Dominican or Arabean. The status of my nationality holds no standing in this debate.

Oh yes, actually it does, if you HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO READ PROPERLY what I wrote
I wrote : If you are Dominican then you will understand : es un decir

The standing assumption is that if you are Dominican, you speak Spanish, and that being the case you would understand what "es un decir" means, given that it was a phrase written in Spanish. Obviously, had you been Canadian, German you may not have necessarily understood meaning of that phrase written in Spanish.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Various commercial groups and now the PLD are denouncing Aduana's restriction of imported clothes. As I expected this law won't last for long.