No more PPeses for DR...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Even LF Suggests To Think Again

As I expected this law won't last for long.

The law 458-73 prohibiting the import of used clothes has already been in "force" for almost 40 years.
[But as we know reality is above the law.]

Now it seems that the lawmakers may think again...

Sugiere permitan ropa usada - ElNacional.com.do

http://www.noticiassin.com/2012/08/...-por-medida-que-prohibe-importacion-de-pacas/

http://www.noticiassin.com/2012/08/...eres-economicos-quieren-destruir-ese-mercado/

donP

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Yes Don, everybody knows this law is old, it was understood that I was discussing the enforcement of said. I did reference in an earlier post that this law was passed under Balaguer's regime.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in london i always used to buy clothes in charity shops. best there is: very simple shopping because if something fits you buy. no need to think what colour or maybe whether you should go a size bigger for comfort or size smaller to feed your ego :)
i do not shop in DR at all. i buy all clothes when in europe, my in laws buy me stuff in the states. i also shop online: shoes from aldo, swimming suits from VS and lingerie from ann summers.

years ago i bought few things in la sirena and such - all fell apart and faded. crappy quality indeed. i always plan to shop in la pulga but i am too lazy to organize myself: you need to be there early and come with a dominican who knows the ropes. all our workers shop there, thou. for anything from bags and clothes to bedding and towels.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Update:

The director of Aduanas has said there is no restriction on the importation of used clothes as this would be detrimental to the most marginalized of the country. He stated increased control have been implemented due to the increasing use of importing used clothes to hide other illicit activities.

Can I get a hi five for a Dominican politician que vale la pena?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The effect of this legislation is only that it will hold back the local official business in their need to innovate and provide a quality product. This market control does nothing for the DR and actually as a whole holds back the DR, since it cannot buy good clothing at world prices.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The director of Aduanas has said there is no restriction on the importation of used clothes as this would be detrimental to the most marginalized of the country.

the most marginalized in this country are those who shop in cartier and LV. those hit by restrictions on used clothing are the vast f**king majority. good idea but bad wording by another dominican a**hole of a politician...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
the most marginalized in this country are those who shop in cartier and LV. those hit by restrictions on used clothing are the vast f**king majority. good idea but bad wording by another dominican a**hole of a politician...

dv8 - it would appear you and Africaida are misinterpreting what I translated from the original article in Spanish. A simpler translation would be:

"the directer of aduanas said there is no restriction on the importation of used clothes because it's job is to protect the poor".

By the way, "marginalized" is a nice word for poor people, not rich people.

Aduanas dice no existe prohibici?n para importar ropas usadas - DiarioLibre.com

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chip, me not stupid. marginalized means a margin of something, edge, not norm. and since the majority of dominicans are poor the margin, in fact, is the rich. reversed world, DR....
it is no one's job to protect the poor. all this government does is keep the poor as dumb as it is possible so they are easier to lead. not much different than elsewhere, mind you.

what did dude literally said was: esa instituci?n siempre proteger? el comercio nacional y la econom?a de los sectores m?s pobres y vulnerables. in reality he put a very clear FULL STOP after the words comercio nacional. whatever came after was the politics.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
chip, me not stupid. marginalized means a margin of something, edge, not norm. and since the majority of dominicans are poor the margin, in fact, is the rich. reversed world, DR....
it is no one's job to protect the poor. all this government does is keep the poor as dumb as it is possible so they are easier to lead. not much different than elsewhere, mind you.

what did dude literally said was: esa instituci?n siempre proteger? el comercio nacional y la econom?a de los sectores m?s pobres y vulnerables. in reality he put a very clear FULL STOP after the words comercio nacional. whatever came after was the politics.

Geez dv8, I know people give me a hard time about my English but please marginalized means poor, not rich. Google it yourself.

Furthermore,the referenced article clearly states that Aduanas says there is no restriction for the importation of used clothes.

While I agree most Dominican politicians are mostly worthless in their duties in this case it is different and the director of Aduanas made the right call. If any doubt please go to your local flea market and find out for yoursefl. The proof is in the porridge. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chip, you are a native speaker, right? your english is miles ahead of mine already :) it may not be posh but still waaaay better than mine :)
and i know what marginalized means. it's the same in polish. but i am being sarcastic here, twisting the meaning of margin to fit dominican social/economic system. so there.

i know there are no restrictions on used clothes trade, ever if there WERE at any given time they were not reinforced, like many laws in DR. our farmacia is very close to a local pulga and i pass it often. buzzing as ever. i was just making a nasty ironic comment towards the boss of aduanas.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Marginalized means beging pushed aside or alienated. Can also be used as a minority. Dv8's statement that the 1 percent of rich people are marginalized from everyday life is gramatically correct in both languages.
It always made me curious that when companies in the trade zone in POP was making clothes for Bannana Republic, Gap etc..
A. there wasnt a selection or an outlet store for those brands being produced here
B. They wouldnt sell seconds without the label.
Either of these two ideas would have benefitted the people more than importing the cheapest China fashions
I had looked into buying seconds and things from the factory and my attorney advised me it was never going to happen.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Marginalized means beging pushed aside or alienated. Can also be used as a minority. Dv8's statement that the 1 percent of rich people are marginalized from everyday life is gramatically correct in both languages.

You are confused JB:

1. Marginalized is a common term for poor in American English.

2. Marginalized is the term I used in translating the article.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Alida's niece used to buy used clothes in NYC and bring back 3-4 suitcases full just stuffed with high-end used designer clothes. One day we tagged along with her in the barrios of NYC at the "shops" that cater to Dominican buyers.

It was STUNNING to see many 4000sf apartments...smaller units connected by doorways...just overflowing with used clothes, primarily women's clothes. We went to 4 such "stores" where shoppers had to give a password and be "buzzed" in.

This will damage a black market, under-the-radar cottage industry in the US also.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
You are confused JB:

1. Marginalized is a common term for poor in American English.

2. Marginalized is the term I used in translating the article.[/QUOTE

[h=2][/h]transitive verb
: to relegate to an unimportant or powerless position within a society or group

? mar?gin?al?i?za?tion noun

As in the rich people are unimportant to how the regular or poor people live.

Chip I dont want to argue with you thats CCCCCCC's job. Both you and dv8 can be correct.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"As in the rich people are unimportant to how the regular or poor people live."

1. This sentence doesn't make any sense.
2. Marginalized means poor in American English and has never meant rich.

Still the point is Aduanas won't prohibit the importation of clothes because it would negatively affect the poor in this country(or "marginalized" for those who understand the term).

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
"As in the rich people are unimportant to how the regular or poor people live."

1. This sentence doesn't make any sense.
2. Marginalized means poor in American English and has never meant rich.

Still the point is Aduanas won't prohibit the importation of clothes because it would negatively affect the poor in this country(or "marginalized" for those who understand the term).

Do you think they won't? Just see the big necessity of poor people in all the different areas, example a ten years old car here in US is in much better shape than the 80% percent of the DR fleet.

Why the government don't let us bring used cars more than 5 years old to DR??? same reason...

Watch my video.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pqsqxPjfsHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Do you think they won't? Just see the big necessity of poor people in all the different areas, example a ten years old car here in US is in much better shape than the 80% percent of the DR fleet.

Why the government don't let us bring used cars more than 5 years old to DR??? same reason...

Watch my video.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pqsqxPjfsHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJ

JJ

My good friend don't have to convince me the DR is more corrupt than the US. However, I believe they will allow the importation of used clothes as Aduanas has stated. Maybe I will go to Pueblo nuevo on Thursday and report back here.