NOISE!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Almost a non-issue in Punta Cana with the exception of Carnival, which happens on our doorstep. Even that is over at a relatively early hour.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Almost a non-issue in Punta Cana with the exception of Carnival, which happens on our doorstep. Even that is over at a relatively early hour.

Thank you!! Another selling point (to my spouse) to support my idea/plan to move to PC.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So true Gorgon...I have actually had that happen. Walked into a "bar" with some friends from out of town. Nice place but at the time was empty (early in the day). Sure enough as soon as they took our drink order the manager was telling the bartender "sube la musica". One of the many reasons I am not fond of visiting the MIL is the ear splitting music all the neighbors seem to have on. Way back when I can remember when we would spend the odd weekend at their place in what I call "semi campo". Sunday morning 7am neighbor has the music up so loud that my bed would vibrate. From the time you land at the airport until you board the plane to leave it is non-stop noise.

the bartenders all believe everybody wants noise. they think that gringos who do not like to have their eardrums perforated must be from outer space. i saw a guy sit on the sidewalk near my house a few days ago, just banging on a paint can with a stick. no rhyme, rhythm, nor purpose. just making noise, and loving it. these guys will start up with the noise at 6 am, round the clock.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Unless, of course you go to Moca.
Which leads me to another off-topic subject I just HAVE to bring up. Why do Dominicans find the need to shout at the top of their lungs over the telephone; even if there is no surrounding noise? Drives me batsht crazy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Unless, of course you go to Moca.
Which leads me to another off-topic subject I just HAVE to bring up. Why do Dominicans find the need to shout at the top of their lungs over the telephone; even if there is no surrounding noise? Drives me batsht crazy.

if your hearing was shot, you would shout too. nobody over age 15 can hear...their hearing has been ruined by chronic noise from the day they exited the womb.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Noise is an issue, even in a quiet area, every once in a while, there a group of very noisy people showing up. I am almost to the point of building a "noiseless" room. By that I mean modifying my bedroom to cut most noise.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Noise is an issue, even in a quiet area, every once in a while, there a group of very noisy people showing up. I am almost to the point of building a "noiseless" room. By that I mean modifying my bedroom to cut most noise.

Try this. It won't stop a colmaldo sound system, but it will help with the occasional rooster or loud bike.

I love mine. http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.V117...pla&CAAGID=36242443192&CATCI=pla-465785956072

hqdefault.jpg

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's one of the reasons I chose to live in a condo. Condos or gated communities, if you can afford them, are the only way to escape the noise.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
I know you are not a newcomer Granca and that you have lived here for many many years. I know also that you are a respectful neighbor and you do not want to consider moving. There are signs in the neighborhood of our rental houses in Las Terrenas with numbers of the police. You can call the police and they will come. Before you do that look up on line the ley number so that you will know the hours that it is "illegal" to have noise over a certain volume. When I am at the houses tomorrow I will take a photo of one of the signs on our street and post it. Noise is one of the most irritating aspects of living here. Hopefully you can take care of it maybe by alerting your stupid neighbor to his responsibility under the law. Good Luck.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Today, I decided to approach the colmado owner around the corner, real nicely and respectfully. I gave him my Meeting schedules and he nicely turned off the music. It's far better than calling the police.:glasses:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Today, I decided to approach the colmado owner around the corner, real nicely and respectfully. I gave him my Meeting schedules and he nicely turned off the music. It's far better than calling the police.:glasses:

absolutely correct. when you are living in someone else's country, those people resent it when you call the police on them. i would, too.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
For those that don't mind ear plugs, Macks Ultra Soft foam ear plugs do a good job of blocking out moderate levels of noise. Flesh colored and very comfortable compared to others I've tried. Pack of 50 for $8.54 USD on Amazon. They can make even ear splitting levels of music very tolerable. High noise reduction rating: -32 dB.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
as i said, people just love noise. i remember as a young man growing up in Jamaica, Sunday was a day when you could hear a pin drop, or a mouse taking a whizz on a cotton ball. not so in the DR. by 10am, every stereo system is blasting, competing with the other. it is the nature of how things are.

i was once asked to be a judge at a car stereo contest in POP. i had thought that each car would take turns, and the merits of each system could be judged, individually. no such luck. it was just a free for all, everyone playing at the same time, and the loudest system was declared the winner.

forget moving, because at least twice per week some guy is going to drive past your house at 4am with seismic rumbling from his car stereo. he does not even live in your neighborhood.

Just because YOU say it................ does not make YOUR onion true or near correct. We are NOT in Jamaica. We are in the Dominican Republic. Get over it.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
That's one of the reasons I chose to live in a condo. Condos or gated communities, if you can afford them, are the only way to escape the noise.

...........yea did that.... live in a area with little noise.....But its about those roosters??....People that pay the money to live in neighborhood like that and have chickens in the back yard......like all the people around me have these roosters that crow at all hours, like 6 am , all day , all night...... asked me girl fren, she smiled and said....Dominican roosters..........

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
-30db, 200pr. less than US$30 delivered to the DR:

S_174905-MCO25095828985_102016-O.jpg

Problem solved.

Even work for dogs, roosters, Mother-in-laws and Evil Spawn.

I use them for motorcycling.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just because YOU say it................ does not make YOUR onion true or near correct. We are NOT in Jamaica. We are in the Dominican Republic. Get over it.

DR Solar, you need help. get some couch time. a grown man should not follow people around an internet forum. it is unhealthy.

people, this guy DR Solar is the guy who, YESTERDAY at 7pm , gave me a dislike for a posting i made last year. a poster commented on the effects of the rain, and asked when the rains would end. i responded that it was the caribbean rainy season, and the rain would not end that week.

for that, he gave me a dislike. the guy is not well.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
-30db, 200pr. less than US$30 delivered to the DR:

S_174905-MCO25095828985_102016-O.jpg

Problem solved.

Even work for dogs, roosters, Mother-in-laws and Evil Spawn.

I use them for motorcycling.

I wish I had some of those , Right about now ...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
...........yea did that.... live in a area with little noise.....But its about those roosters??....People that pay the money to live in neighborhood like that and have chickens in the back yard......like all the people around me have these roosters that crow at all hours, like 6 am , all day , all night...... asked me girl fren, she smiled and said....Dominican roosters..........

Yeah, those roosters will drive you crazy. They just don't crow when the sun comes up, they crow all the time! I guess if you've grown up around them you don't notice. The ear plugs I mentioned will block them out completely. They solve a lot of noise problems.