NOISE!!!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yeah, those roosters will drive you crazy. They just don't crow when the sun comes up, they crow all the time! I guess if you've grown up around them you don't notice. The ear plugs I mentioned will block them out completely. They solve a lot of noise problems.

I have a theory on this . but is would be perhaps the subject for another topic..
But I would ask those who have been living in the DR in the 80's or 70's if they can recall the ROOSTERS Crowing all hours of the night back then..
I am curious what the answers will be .. Or if you were around Chickens and Roosters in any other country as well.. do you recall them making noise all night long ?

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I understand what Mr. Gorgon is saying. I have moved many times trying to escape the noise but to no avail. There are times when the noise is just way too much and at odd hours. To me it shows a total lack of respect. I have found one way of dealing with the noise..Getting the heck outta dodge and never to return. There is no tranquility, if it ain't the motos or the cars with loud music or the colmados with music blaring, it's always something else.

Or the rooster crowing at 5:00 am, the street vendor selling fruits, bread, milk, water, etc.... You went to the wrong place if you want peace and quiet.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I have a theory on this . but is would be perhaps the subject for another topic..
But I would ask those who have been living in the DR in the 80's or 70's if they can recall the ROOSTERS Crowing all hours of the night back then..
I am curious what the answers will be .. Or if you were around Chickens and Roosters in any other country as well.. do you recall them making noise all night long ?

No, but in mid 2000 they were certainly up to no good with the crowing at all hours. Including my mom's rooster.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Today, I decided to approach the colmado owner around the corner, real nicely and respectfully. I gave him my Meeting schedules and he nicely turned off the music. It's far better than calling the police.:glasses:

Excellent approach and the conflict may not escalate.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Unless, of course you go to Moca.
Which leads me to another off-topic subject I just HAVE to bring up. Why do Dominicans find the need to shout at the top of their lungs over the telephone; even if there is no surrounding noise? Drives me batsht crazy.

it's cultural and most folks b/c of noise exposure are hard of hearing, I am and I am loud. I get louder as I get more excited by the conversation.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Crappy cell service. Even if the caller's service is good at that time and place, the person on the other end is probably suffering. We all turn up the volume when we feel the person we are talking to can't hear us well. In particular, when we can't hear the other person well, we assume they can't hear us either which may not be the case.

Also all cellphones are not created equal. The radios used in the cheaper brands are often not as good as those in the more expensive brands leading to poorer call clarity sometimes. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Crappy cell service. Even if the caller's service is good at that time and place, the person on the other end is probably suffering. We all turn up the volume when we feel the person we are talking to can't hear us well. In particular, when we can't hear the other person well, we assume they can't hear us either which may not be the case.

Also all cellphones are not created equal. The radios used in the cheaper brands are often not as good as those in the more expensive brands leading to poorer call clarity sometimes. 

Cdn, i beg to differ with your postulate here. Dominicans do not shout into their cellphones because they believe the recipient has poor service. they shout because that is how they converse, under normal circumstances. it is just cultural. they just talk loudly. just like they love loud music. maybe they have to yell to conduct a conversation when they are surrounded by noise, so it becomes second nature to shout.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Yelling into the phone is just very Dominican. They all do it. They are not going to stop, it just is. Makes no sense, nothing to do with bad cell service. When Dominicans move to the US they yell into the phone.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Yelling into the phone is just very Dominican. They all do it. They are not going to stop, it just is. Makes no sense, nothing to do with bad cell service. When Dominicans move to the US they yell into the phone.
In Luperon a few years ago helping my Canadian friend and his American neighbour across the way to figure out what was wrong with their common water supply. They were yelling at each other at the top of their lungs as they opened and closed different valves. My Canadian friend's DR novia walks out of the house in a huff and tells them to stop shouting like Dominicans. Nearly blew my Bohemia out my nose. 
We Newfoundlanders, are a noisey lot especially when we party hearty but we're amateurs compared to DR citizens. I usually roll up my car windows when I'm in Luperon downtown to prevent ear drum damage. Went to a bachata band concert there a few years ago. Plugged my ears with tissue but still had ringing in my ears hours after the concert. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

there you go!! nothing to do with service...

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
...........yea did that.... live in a area with little noise.....But its about those roosters??....People that pay the money to live in neighborhood like that and have chickens in the back yard......like all the people around me have these roosters that crow at all hours, like 6 am , all day , all night...... asked me girl fren, she smiled and said....Dominican roosters..........

I hate the roosters. Luckily now where I live in Santiago no problems. I have lived other places where I was forced to get some ear plugs. My son and his wife have lived in serval nice neighborhoods in the capitol and FINALLY they bought an apartment in a spot with no rooster problems.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I think it is true in many Latin countries. When I was living in Miami with my ex (Colombiana) and she was on her cell I used to tell her to just stick her head out the window and the person would hear her fine.
Also it is not only when they are on their cell phones. I hate when I am having a beer at a local colmado and you always seem to have one guy that is standing about 3 feet away from the person he is talking with yet he is screaming.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I hate the roosters. Luckily now where I live in Santiago no problems. I have lived other places where I was forced to get some ear plugs. My son and his wife have lived in serval nice neighborhoods in the capitol and FINALLY they bought an apartment in a spot with no rooster problems.

You'd hate where we live. Roosters, pigs oinking, cows mooing, a goat next door bahhhing, and somebody has loud peacocks. Add the radios, Moto's, etc. Oh, and how could I forget the Evangelicals singing at the top of their lungs, karaoke music backup.

I was just going to say it's suspiciously quiet, but as I started to type, two roosters started crowing.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Loud music is the norm in la rep dom. I was at a concert in sosua it was ear splitting, and in the crowd a vendor had his cart with his loud speakers blaring a different song at the same time. Roosters, radios, gunshots. Its strange but it doesn't bother me, use earplugs at night.