North Coast Roads Report: 2016-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
let us know how that works out.

All of us in my area are struggling to learn that route...
it'll be a long time before we 'climb the hill' to la Cumbre again - I fear

Is it only the bridge that is out beyond Jamao,
or are sections of the road up the mountain also destroyed?

Aug 21, 2007
Is it only the bridge that is out beyond Jamao,
or are sections of the road up the mountain also destroyed?

As far as I know, it is only the bridge. I am headed to Jamao in about 30 minutes. I'll let you know what they say the road conditions are like higher up the mountain when I return.

Lindsey

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I saw picture somewhere of a section of the hwy in the vicinity of Jamoa al Norte half washed away. That would be beyond Jamoa proper.*

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I saw picture somewhere of a section of the hwy in the vicinity of Jamoa al Norte half washed away. That would be beyond Jamoa proper.*

Are you sure about this? It wasn't a photo of the turistica?
I think it is best that we post info that we are really sure about. There are so many rumours going around

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Found it...

See DV8's post #2, this thread. I'm not sure what the turistica you refer to is.

Aug 21, 2007
The turistica road is washed out. The road to Jamao is good. Just got back. The bridge just before Los Brazos is fine. The road above Jamao is fine except for the bridge that broke. I have photos. Give me a moment and I will post them.

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
2rc53it.jpg
[/IMG]

2gt1cti.jpg
[/IMG]

v3j6ll.jpg
[/IMG]

2lu6yiv.jpg
[/IMG]

Lindsey

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Found it...

See DV8's post #2, this thread. I'm not sure what the turistica you refer to is.

The turistica is the road from Montellano to Santiago. Entrance between Sosua and POP. The other mountain road goes from Sabaneta de Yasica to Santiago and Moca via Jamao. Two different roads.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Just had a message from Claro (efficient little chaps) telling all who live in Valverde Mao province near the Yaque del Norte river to leave NOW. The river is rising rapidly and there is a chance the bridge between Mao and Esperanza will disappear. My husband has just managed to cross it, but says he doubts will get back. The Yaque del Norte River is rising very very rapidly and the warning extends all the way to Montecristi.

Matilda

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Another trip report from the moca road.
I have just cycled up there and can report that, in true Dominican fashion the jamao bridge is far from closed!
Cars are still crossing! Wouldn't do it myself, *it there you go, the option is open :)

Ps the road itself is fine. Some surface water and debris but clear

bennymack

Apr 12, 2006
Another trip report from the moca road.
I have just cycled up there and can report that, in true Dominican fashion the jamao bridge is far from closed!
Cars are still crossing! Wouldn't do it myself, *it there you go, the option is open :)

Ps the road itself is fine. Some surface water and debris but clear

In some of the above posts, it is hard to know from what direction you are traveling.

I'm trying to travel from La Vega to Cabarete/Sosua. Did you ride the whole Moca-Sabaneta de Yasica road (Rt. 21)?

I think I have heard the Tourist rt is closed (Rt. 25 passing through Tubagua).

If neither are these routes are open, is Route 5 (passes through Imbert and Puerta Plata) open?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
Jamao Road....Moca - Sabaneta is open. The government engineers arrived to day, looked at the bridge and concluded that one support is non-functioning. There are police and military persons posted on both sides of the bridge, but they are allowing one person (car or truck!!!) at a time to cross. The President was supposed to arrive today to look at the situation which is leaving many business people in Jamao al Norte with their hands tied. He was a no - show.

But, for adventure seekers or risk takers, the road and bridge are open for business.

Lindsey

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I would be a little cautious in saying that the road is 'open'. Yes, many people are crossing the bridge but it is partially collapsed! In any other country it would have been closed!
Unless you have absolutely no other option, I really would not consider using this road

Aug 21, 2007
I would be a little cautious in saying that the road is 'open'. Yes, many people are crossing the bridge but it is partially collapsed! In any other country it would have been closed!
Unless you have absolutely no other option, I really would not consider using this road

I agree.

Lindsey

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Have just been up the Turistica to Tubagua to check out the situation there.*
Basically, almost the whole road went and though motos can just get through, cars definitely can not.*

That said, they are currently making a bypass which I estimate will be usable in a couple of days.*

The police there told me that this was the only part of the road that was closed so, once they get the bypass done, the Turistica should be back to its glorious self :)

Status
Not open for further replies.