North Coast Weather

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
you never know................the hurricanes don't read these posts.......
Hurricanes don't make landfall on the north coast. The reason is the track hurricabes take heading north, rbey would have to turn south to make direct landfall. At beat they run off shore or if the come across the island the three mountain ranges break the storm up.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Hurricanes don't make landfall on the north coast. The reason is the track hurricabes take heading north, rbey would have to turn south to make direct landfall. At beat they run off shore or if the come across the island the three mountain ranges break the storm up.

you know, any englishman will remember 1987 and michael fish the weatherman. since then, you never know what may happen.
BBC weather blooper by Michael Fish storm of 1987 - YouTube

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
you know, any englishman will remember 1987 and michael fish the weatherman. since then, you never know what may happen.
BBC weather blooper by Michael Fish storm of 1987 - YouTube

Yes there is a small chance that someday a hurricane will have a direct hit on the north coast. It has not happened yet, but a passing hurricane to the north could take a sudden turn south and hit the north coast.

A storm from the south of the DR that is the storm of the century probably would not survive going over the mountains in the center of the DR. It is true that anything is possible, but that is also extremely unlikely.

115530W5_NL_sm.gif

This looks bad for the south cost of DR/Haiti and then Cuba and Florida.

Last edited:

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Weather news for the PC AREA

The Weather Department (Onamet) is calling for preparations to be finalized for a possible hurricane that is forecast to pass south of the Dominican Republic. The unnamed storm, still Tropical Depression #9 is on a mostly westward track. US Hurricane Hunter experts will fly into the storm and more details will be available to forecasters soon. As it moves west over the warm Caribbean waters the depression is expected to pick up strength and develop into a category one hurricane as it passes the Dominican Republic. The storm is currently some 550 miles east of Guadeloupe

Weather forecasters recommend closely monitoring TD#9 that is currently regarded as a definite threat for the Caribbean. Mike Fisher, Weather and Beyond forum moderator for DR1.com says that in the case of Hispaniola, the storm will bring heavy rainfall with a high risk of mudslides.

To follow the storm, see www.dr1.com/forums/weather-beyond/123903-stormy-season-2012-a-15.html

DR1 - Hurricanes

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
DE-RES (sorry that's a Tron thing) . or drescape24,
Tropical Storm Jeane did quite a number on th north coast. I was here. Power was out where we are for four days and many trees blocked roads, bridges were out towards Gasper Hernandes and it was only a TS !!!

So be alert !

Olly and the team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Windeguy,
Micheal Fish warned BBC management that it was going to be a Hurricane and was "Ordered" to play it down. See his retirement anouncements. Hurricane Gordon may well be another hurrican for UK.

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Sosua and Cabarete,
Had 1.1" rain overnight and in the last hour over 1" of rain . There is a real danger of flash floods.

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Just an update on the weather on the North Coast for the last few weeks. A number asked what it would be like in early September.
This September between Sosua and Cabarete we have only recorded 0.2 inches of rain with measurable rain only on two days out of the last 15. Temperatures has been in the low to mid 70F (23-25C) in the morning but getting up to low 90F (28-32C) during the day.
Sea has been generally calm but occaisionally there have been large swells from the Atlantic presumable from some of the TS out in the middle there.
Rainfall is very local so , there may have been more elsewhere on the North Coast and I have had reports of the occaisional heavy downpours in Puerto Plata. Mt Isabela influences the weather quite a lot there.
The five year average for September for monthly rainfall where we are is 8.7 inches and we have only had 0.2 inches so far!

Hot and sunny with a relatively calm sea but a bit humid! Great weather !

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Another update - only 0.4 inches of rain so far this month and great weather. There will probably be some rain Tuesday or Wednesday as a tropical wave comes through but after that not much down the road.

Olly and the Team

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very dry... I just arrived after 6-7 weeks away and the grass is brown, leaves drooping.
I hope you're right about rain coming

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Derfish, Caribmike,
On the north coast we have had 4.3" up till 9th November. The rain from the 3rd to 5th Nov was caused by one of the first cold fronts from the USA really getting to the DR and it dropped 3.6" . Derfish , the current rainfall is caused by another cold front pushing down and stalling over the DR North Coast. As it gets pushed back and forth we get rain and T-storms. Typically a cold front gives us about 2-3 " of rain here.
November has been the wettest month of the year on average for the last two years (based on the 4 year/5 year averages). The 5 year average rainfall has been 16.2" between Sosua and Cabarete so if we make the average this year there is a lot more to come!

CaribMike, the area near the Cape Verde Islands is described by the National Hurricane Centre :
THE RIDGE IS PROVIDING
GENERALLY FAIR CONDITIONS ACROSS THE EASTERN ATLC EXCEPT FOR AN
AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER NW OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. AN UPPER
LEVEL TROUGH IS SOUTH OF THE LARGE UPPER RIDGE ALONG 38W
SUPPORTING A SURFACE TROUGH ALONG 23N34W TO 17N38W. SCATTERED
SHOWERS/THUNDERSTORMS ARE EAST OF THE TROUGH FROM 16N-23N
BETWEEN 28W-36W. AN ASCAT PASS FROM EARLIER THIS MORNING ALSO
INDICATES THAT WINDS UP TO 30 KT ARE EAST OF THE TROUGH AXIS.

but no track information has yet been given. MikeFisher I am sure will respond!

Olly and the Team

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
WW, Three inches over night to 06:00 am between Sosua and Cabarete and it doesn't look like stopping. No flooding in our area but haven't explored much yet. Thats 3.7 " out of this Cold front so far !
The Cold Front has pushed a bit further south and will meet the remnants of a tropical wave coming over the Windward Islands at this moment. If I were to make a forecast - it will be around for a few more days with probably another 2-3" of rain and full overcast.
You and Ringo had better get some Diesel in!

Olly and the Team

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bad night Olly, still going but the wind has abated somewhat.

Yes, 50 gals of gasoil delivered y'day - just before the price cut -- dumb!!

Off to Sosua today - hopefully, for the dentista.

It was fierce weather here all night...... STRONG winds and rain all night

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Good morning guys. I just got up and I'm really late now. Due to wind blowing rain, thunder and surf crashing on the coral all night, Dunderdogs made me shut all the windows and doors so we could sleep. Pouring now but wind is down at this time.

I'm to my last 30 gallons of diesel. I'll most likely have to use more Edenorte today that will really mess up my energy schedule. More coffee, get me going, TRY to kick dogs out and looks like horses stay in until this lets up.

Wife flys in today and I wonder how flooded our roads are? My low spot in my front lawn and pool overflowing indicates.... very possible flooding.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Rain has slowed to a drizzle for now but still cloudy dark so most auto security lights still on. Dogs out (after much protesting), horses groomed and in pastures. Worker made it here on time, no flooding that he saw. The normal 1 hour Edenorte charge this AM has the batts up to 51V so good for now but think our little wind generator did most of the work last night. Coraplata water is off.... but I'm not watering lawns today and our main systern is overflowing/rinsing with caught rain water.

Sent wife email telling her to tell the pilot to have a little extra fuel... just in case. lol

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Brightening slightly here now..... new road below us is washed out so, in typical RD fashion, we need to go up to get down.

Planta running........ dentist chair waiting.
Not usually flooded roads between Cabrera and Sosua......... high bridges

It wasn't too long ago I was asking for rain.........:ermm:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Olliphant,
you must be close to graduating from that meteorology course.

I went to Sosua and saw little to no rain.... Cabrera, they tell me, had another deluge at 2pm and no sun all day.
The radar shows your front parked between Samana and PR........

Not much fun - cooler, but no fun.

Pool is overflowing, chemicals shot to hell...... oh , well...........

Life in the tropics.................. no shovels:classic:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Olliphant,
you must be close to graduating from that meteorology course.

I went to Sosua and saw little to no rain.... Cabrera, they tell me, had another deluge at 2pm and no sun all day.
The radar shows your front parked between Samana and PR........

Not much fun - cooler, but no fun.

Pool is overflowing, chemicals shot to hell...... oh , well...........

Life in the tropics.................. no shovels:classic:

LOL.... "NO SHOVELS!"

A little rain off and on today and the sun popped out for .... oh about 5 minutes then the clouds took over again. Wind came up in the afternoon and with the surf and wind out of the North had to close up all doors and windows on that side again. Our housekeeper just cleaned all 12 big ocean side doors and windows the other day and now we have so much salt water spray that we can not see out.

Started to rain again at around 5 PM.... just in time to go get the horses so everyone is rather wet but I've become use to that. Our little wind generator is singing such a nice song.