Nuria Takes On "Dominican Watchdog"

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Good Morning Robert and Pichardo,

Pichardo, you make some good points that the info on that website is 'spun', but what Robert is saying is that even if you remove the 'spin', it's still bad info that should be addressed. For example Grupo Barcelo has joined many other countries and the UK ambassador to call for better protection of investors rights. What 'bad intent' could Barcelo group have? They've put so much into the country and promoted it so well globally... what Robert is suggesting is that yes, this guy has an 'axe to grind', but look past his motivations and look at the actual news stories, don't just shoot the messenger instinctively.

I want to also suggest another thing. Perhaps you and Robert see things differently because of some cultural differences. You state that Real Estate investors that get screwed in the DR have only themselves to blame. That it's their stupidity and ignorance that got them into that situation.

Here's the thing Pichardo. We westerners agree that greedy stupid people have only their stupid greed to blame. But we also have some 'expectations' about our government and about trust networks that Dominicans don't have. For example we believe that your government should at the very least ensure that you have a 'fair trial'. We believe that your lawyer, if you pay him, has an ethical responsibility to represent your best interests, and his failure to do so will result in his law society removing his title and ability to practice law ever again. We feel that government employees - be they judges, clerks, or people who work at land titles offices, should always be honest with you and if they're 'on the take', they should go to jail.

Dominicans grow up believing the opposite. That you can't trust the government. That you can't trust the police. That there are no 'public trust networks'. For this reason every single transaction comes down to - 1 tiguere vs. 1 tiguere. And everything is 'fair game'.

So for example, when we westeners hear about repeated cases where a seller of some real estate is making fraudulent representations to a gringo, and the real estate agent is 'in on it', and the gringo's lawyer is getting part of the fraudulent money as a kick back, and the employees at the land titles office are 'in on it', and when the gringo takes the whole group to court, the judge gets paid to rule against the gringo -- well when we westerners hear cases like this, or the grupo barcelo situation, we think 'hey the system is stacked against us, it needs to change'. Whereas perhaps you Dominicans think - heh heh, stupid gringo's, not tiguere enough, they have to blame their stupidity and ignorance. etc.

In conclusion, I think the DR would be better suited putting all of that energy used to 'shoot the messenger' to instead fix the things that the messenger is talking about - that way he has nothing to talk about...

That's why when in Rome...

People come to the DR and immediately want to have it all... The DR and the structured police state and tax to death systems they left behind.

The problems with RE ANY Dominican would put you on the right track with in seconds.

Why Dominicans buy cash?

Why do we build the structures with our own resources until we move in?

Why do we not partner with other people other than very strong and reliable family or friend circles?

Why when we face legal or gov problems out 911 is the press and not the police or legal system?

Why is this called the DR and NOT the country you left behind?

People come to the DR and see everything that goes around and think Dominicans are fools for the most part for allowing themselves to be participants of this corrupted system, when in fact Dominicans are what makes it the way it's to their own end benefit. In your country behind you expect the state and rule of the Law to come save you when you get stung, in the DR each person relies on their own to put them ahead of the troubles faced.

If we were to fix the country as your model country you left behind to live here, the DR then wouldn't be the country you once wanted to make your home and the one Dominicans are so proud to boast about elsewhere!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
It is interesting the owner of "Dominican Watchdog" was deported from the country because of supposed illegal business practices but it appears he is only re-posting printed articles as opposed to editorial commentary.

The Dominican governmental official interviewed says they are monitoring the webpage but "the government" honestly feels it has little impact because people would come here and make there own assessment. I would say that maybe this was the case 20 years ago or more but this is the technology age and any half wit can do a great deal of due diligence with google; and part of that would be searching news and forums about a country or area of a country. Maybe the gov't officials are naive in this regard or maybe they are just too busy trying to rob the coffers before their term ends to pay attention to anything else.

"No press is bad press" Chip!

If you think we're naive and ignorant, then you have much to learn and see from the troves of expats that came and thought the same of the inferior Dominicans and later had to leave all their first world gains in the DR when they couldn't match the inferior and corrupted Lilliputians...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"No press is bad press" Chip!

If you think we're naive and ignorant, then you have much to learn and see from the troves of expats that came and thought the same of the inferior Dominicans and later had to leave all their first world gains in the DR when they couldn't match the inferior and corrupted Lilliputians...

Pichardo

If "we" is the Dominican government I would say certainly they are naive, or at least the person interviewd in Nuria's report, with regard to negative reports about investment in the DR on webpages ike dominicanwatchdog or for that matter DR1.

The latter part of your sentence I really couldn't understand so please try again or put it in Spanish.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Show me 1 press link that states JV did anything wrong here...just do it...you must be a very petty person hiding behind your pc throwing dirt on peoples names...low life 100%.

No offense but Nuria's report claim Jan was deported. She is without a doubt the most repsected politician in the DR.

BTW, I don't agree with everything Pichardo has stated either but this part is true.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
That expats and tourist are being targeted for murder and crime as soon as they step off the plane?

Go to a tourist airport. Watch what happens when a flight from abroad lands. All the lambon's start lining up with their tongue wagging. 'Here comes another live one'. They think. It's a sight to be seen. Like the migration across the serenguete (sp?) :)

That every RE deal in the DR is 100% for certain going to be a rip off? That Dominican courts are just a montage of justice and there's not a single case that will see proper legal enforcement?

we're not saying 100%. even 50% is risky. even 25% is bad. when you've got some of the biggest tourist hotels in the country complaining....

Listen, a lot of us only found out about the DR thanks to the marketing of the Barcelo group!

Don't try to diminish the problems. Don't shoot the messenger!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You need no answers from me...

Wasn't he deported for what happened back home?
I have yet to see any press to say that Jan did anything wrong in the DR.
I'm not saying he didn't do anything, just that I have never seen it reported.

PICHARDO, maybe you could point us in the direction of a news report or other info?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
No offense but Nuria's report claim Jan was deported. She is without a doubt the most repsected politician in the DR.

BTW, I don't agree with everything Pichardo has stated either but this part is true.

She's good, but that doesn't mean she or her team are always right.
They over hyped the website numbers with a very basic mistake.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

PICHARDO, maybe you could point us in the direction of a news report or other info?

I thought Nuria's report classified as journalism, correct me if I am wrong.

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
First hand victim

Just a summary

Upon our first few visits here my brother and I decided to buy a property in last Terrenas from some french guy.

Little did we know that this guy (a group of them) was a big scammer that had been ripping people off for a long time.

He duplicates the titles "deslinde" gets a bank loan and resells the same property 3, 4 times or more to unsuspecting tourists and others.

Then they move a Dominican family on the property, and deploy a couple of tigeres to rob you and scare you for the remainder of your holiday.

The police laughed at us the mayor just shrugged, it seemed as the whole town was in on it.

A law firm that I found on DR1 helped minimize our losses, which were huge.

I have lived in a lot of other countries, some firsts, some thirds, but nowhere that I know of would allow foreigners or anyone to roam in their country, prey on people, and attempt to single-handedly destroy its' industries " real estate and tourism" even it's reputation like we experienced in the DR.

Say what you will, people being stupid, naive, whatever; an original legal document with a government stamp and seal on it presented in a lawyer's office in the presence of 5 witnesses, come on!

YES IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED AND DEALT WITH, and it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. If anyone here on the other side had been a victim, you would definitely see it very differently.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Where do I place blame elsewhere? Just like Nuria said and I said, the events are totally true for most of the facts, the way it's being packaged in a malicious matter and as if the country is a hell on earth is far from the truth and YOU know it first hand.

Etc, etc, etc...

Welcome to the internet! Count your blessings, some countries have to deal with sites like.

http://www.****france.com/

Just because the game isn't going your way, don't stamp your feet, pick up the ball and run home.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003

The DR deported him to a third country using INTERPOL at the airport, much due to the lack of a legal framework between the two countries (also no direct flights on that moment from the DR to there) to carry out such task.

The police investigation unit receive data from INTERPOL about his criminal activities overseas and the possible use of documents in the DR by him to obtain and negotiate RE deals under. This man had carried out extensive deals based on international set ups in not less than three countries. The DR Police investigated his biz into the RE and dealings while in the DR with biz associates and such. It was found that he was using documents that were part of the criminal investigations on his dealing where he was requested from (a warrant to appear before a court was issue in that country and he failed to present himself or his lawyer/rep to show why he didn't). As the documents he employed in the RE dealings in the DR came from sources already in legal proceedings in that country, it was clear that intention to cause fraud and misrepresentation was present in the DR end of the RE deals.

Having the circumstantial evidence of this and other details offered by his associates in the DR, the DR had hims arrested and placed in the hands of Interpol agents posted in the airport to determine where he was going to be taken from there. The DR decline to post charges against him as the case was already being prosecuted in another country for the same documents he used in the DR to avail him RE holdings or dealings. That's to say that for the DR to prosecute him for this, the case in that country needed to provide factual legal stand of criminal enterprise and guilt. For that to happen he needed to face the legal maters to clear or be proven guilty as such first.

This led the DR to use the non-wanted person removal from our soil,which is a given legal right of the DR to have anyone of questionable moral character removed from our country without a legal demand before a court of Law (this is carried out via Interior y Policia under the order of the State).

His removal from the country was 100% a deportation and his transportation to a third country a legal matter of the INTERPOL agents that handled his removal at the airport (for whatever he says or denies of this).

If his case in that country where the warrant to appear before the court was prosecute or not, whether he was found guilty or not, is a matter that falls completely under his and that country's responsibility and none in the DR.

You can tell the man has issues still standing about his deportation from the DR:

Jan Vistisen
? Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo UASDAnother deported Dominican who try to re-enter illegally, WTF is wrong with these people, do they not understand they are NOT wanted in the USA or are they just plain stupid?

You can see the post here:

Dominican ex-boxing champ detained in Puerto Rico - Taiwan News Online

Sour grape...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Welcome to the internet! Count your blessings, some countries have to deal with sites like.

http://www.****france.com/

Just because the game isn't going your way, don't stamp your feet, pick up the ball and run home.

It's ok always that people can see for themselves what's true and what's packaged interests...

They guy is fully trying to damage the DR reputation but one also must admit he got stung badly! For all we know his case (why his RE documents were deemed a fraud for biz in the DR) could have been dismissed back in that country and he never faced any criminal penalties from it. But that's something that's his problem not ours to deal with.

I think he could do some good if that really was his intention on that site. All he has to do is to get off the packaged ill intended presentation and become a legit unbiased outlet, to air Dominican corruption cases when they are put under the carpet by DR Media.

The RE industry could benefit a lot from that...

At the moment his site is just a biased package of ills to hurt the DR and Dominican People, and little to help clean things up as we all would love to see it!

Maybe now that he knows from official sources he's being followed, he'll wise up and see that we all have tails to get stepped on... Or maybe he's as a saint as the Pope! Who knows!

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Go to a tourist airport. Watch what happens when a flight from abroad lands. All the lambon's start lining up with their tongue wagging. 'Here comes another live one'. They think. It's a sight to be seen. Like the migration across the serenguete (sp?) :)

Happens everywhere in the developing world, hardly a bunch of criminals selecting their next victim to rob, rape or kill...

we're not saying 100%. even 50% is risky. even 25% is bad. when you've got some of the biggest tourist hotels in the country complaining....

Listen, a lot of us only found out about the DR thanks to the marketing of the Barcelo group!

Don't try to diminish the problems. Don't shoot the messenger!

I never try to diminish the problem but point out the overblown statements one already is familiar to see around.

Two wrongs don't make a right!

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
So...what exactly did he do to get deported?

Was he part of a criminal investigation outside? or was he part of a civil proceeding outside?

Was he extradited? Or was it just an opportunistic time to get rid of him?

The part you wrote pichardo about the DR having the right to refuse entry to anyone of bad moral character is 100% correct. Now if only they would apply that rule to the politicians! :)

Good night.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
From his own website and words to Nuria:
The words on blue are mine!

Dear Nuria,

Miami Nov 26, 2011
Thank you for the presentation of Dominican Watchdog in your show.

Dominican Watchdog is the most powerful media in regards to foreign investors in the Dominican Republic. We tell the truth where most other English media is too scared. I have answered 800 emails from defrauded investors and I have arranged settlements between foreign investors and Dominican developers for more than $ 3 Million dollars. I have stopped Ricardo Miranda from selling Punta Perla and I have stopped the Chinese from investing $ 462 Million dollars and much much more, just ask my lawyers.

This above is true!

What I have never done is anything illegal in your country, because I was quite happy in the Dominican Republic and have two beautiful small daughters in Puerto Plata, the whole problem is related to a dispute with a developer in Juan Dolio.
I have never been in front of a judge in the Dominican Republic in connection with falsification or fraud of any kind, but I was denied access to both my lawyers and my embassy when arrested and deported in less than 24 hours.
I was never deported to my home country(DENMARK) as you state in your TV show.

This above is half true!

He was not prosecuted for anything illegal in the DR because the documents he used to avail/carry out RE dealings in the DR at the time were part of the original case at the other country (according to Interpol documents). The DR didn't carry our a case against him due to the need of the documents to be of legal fact for a court to proceed upon. He being not present in the country were the case was filed mattered a lot for this not to happen.

He was never before a DR judge, because according to DR Law, the state can have anybody remove without a legal proceeding when deemed of lacking moral character or other issues to that of the DR. That's carried out by Interior and Policia by order of the state, using the local tools of law enforcement (PN). He was arrested by the PN and DEPORTED via the airport. He was deported to the country Interpol choose, not the DR authorities. All legit 100%...

What is false is the story planted by the police in the Dominican media and by Ricardo Miranda on the internet. The police has now removed the story from their own website(not a single link to that story is active today). However the police sold the photos you used of me being a criminal to Ricardo Miranda to discredit my website and name. My lawyers have the name of the colonel who sold the photos to Ricardo Miranda.

This above is about half true!

The arrest by the PN was 100% legit and true, the history behind his arrest was 100% legit and true. The PN remove the story and picture for matters of legal action, due to the fact that he was not charged, nor had the country that issued the warrant order a criminal offense sentence to the action.

The picture being sold to a private party is true.

Nuria, I respect your work and know how hard it is to find the truth in
one of the most corrupt countries in the world, but let me tell you that Leonel was personally involved in my deportation. So now I ask you to be so kind as to demonstrate the documentation you got about me being deported to Denmark.

1. Show your viewers the official document about why I was deported and when I can return to see my daughters, because I have no deportation stamp in my passport and never got any document about it.I arrived from Miami the week before being deported!

The deportation was carried out by Interior and Policia by order of the state (in this case the state is the President and all those below). As the deportation was carried out as an unwanted alien, there's no legal accusation or stamps, just driven to the port of travel and sent their way out. The why he was deported was based on the same case he left open in that other country, not the DR.

2. Show your viewers a transcript of the court case in the Dominican Republic were I was convicted for falsification against the DR or defrauding my own country. Feel free to contact the Danish Embassy and ask about if I was wanted in Denmark.

There was no case in DR courts. The case in the other country is only a matter between him, Interpol and them to air out in the media. But, he can sure as hell prove them and all that it was not like that by opening a case against the DR state and all those he deemed involved in his removal and vilification on the public media.

3. Contact the airline companies on the day of my deportation and get passenger-lists from them. You will find that I was forced on to a plane to a completely different destination and the captain of the plane denied for one hour to take me on board. NURIA you are the investigating journalist.... WHAT COUNTRY WAS IT AND WHO WAS BEHIND IT?

This above is true!

Please make yourself familiar with international deportation laws and you will find huge violations of my human rights, more over there is also serious violations of Dominican laws, and I lost all my personal belongings in the Dominican Republic after this illegal activity of your government and is preparing my case for the Human Rights Court.

Each country reserves the right to remove and order the inmediate deportation or removal of foreign aliens as they see fit. They need not open a deportation case when the state is the one carrying out the force removal by conditions as stated within the country's executive power.

Violations of the DR laws is the bread of the Day in the DR... Not much there to doubt...

The reason I ask you to do this is because my lawyers Sigmund Freund and Eduardo Sanz Lovoton from Stafflegal in Santo Domingo has not been able to get any of these documents from the Dominican government, and I would like to return safely to my two daughters whom I have not seen for over 1300 days! These small girls don't understand what happened to their father....

This above is true!

The DR state is at free will to produce or provide any documentation to any part, under any conditions other than via a treaty enforcement or international court mandate. Hardly making a package of events show as the actual DR happenings of every Day is going to help him return to the DR. Don't make enemies of the people you say you love and the country you want to return to.

Ask Nuria to carry out an interview of your person and present your case to the DR people to seek validating your grievances. You can keep being a watch dog for Dominicans, but lose the packaged presentation and seek constructive criticism of the nation and people without a bias and underlying revenge agenda... I for one would support you 100%... If you seek the correct path...

Finally, I have listened carefully to your program about the Dominican Watchdog and you state that my articles are exaggerated. Exactly what articles are you talking about since I have linked to the international or local media where my team found them?

This above is not true!

The same as Nuria, all we see is that all the events are packaged (even when most are true) into a single format of an all out of control country. For example the way you present all the RE scams and failures make it seem like it was a 100% event for all dealings in the DR, That DR Lawyers are all corrupt, that all business people are out to defraud the foreign investors, etc...

Not to even point out the way the deaths of the foreign residents are presented as an all out killing spree by Dominicans, when in fact many of those killed were victims of shady dealings, at the hands of other foreigners, and common crime that affects Dominicans alike and 1,000,000% more than any sector of the population. You also know that international media and sites you link stories to or post, are also printing half trues. Like the film the price of sugar, far from the reality, sugarcane workers are not guarded by shotgun totting Dominicans to avoid their escaping the fields. It's brutally biased and one sided... A good 90% of the facts were taken from the early times of the industry, a far cry to to way and how that sector operates today.

I don't write the articles, I'm only the messenger, and we both know its much worse than the fraction of problems posted on Dominican Watchdog. There are thousand of foreigners being defrauded, but I do not have time or resources to write about it all, however I try to warn them through a network of blogs like these:

You don't write the articles but present them in a packaged way that creates this illusion of a state out of control and free for all, which is far from the truth. They are thousand of foreigners being defrauded in the DR, but just as well Dominicans in larger numbers. The expat sector in the DR RE and investment portfolio is but less than 5% of the overall number in the business.

Two wrongs don't make a right and you know it! Take this chance to make a greater positive impact on the DR you say want to return to, and use the site to air the problems, not attack the country and people alike...

1000 articles, a total of 350,000 page views from 175 countries - Nothing beat the facts! :: Dominican Watchdog

Last edited: