Odebrecht scandal

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It speaks volumes the many locals that are expressing their country is bad, dangerous, dishonest and criminal.

I still have to discover the beauty of DR (except for nature). 

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
It speaks volumes the many locals that are expressing their country is bad, dangerous, dishonest and criminal.

I still have to discover the beauty of DR (except for nature). 

There was an ongoing thread for several years called Dominican Beauty or something similar. Wish I could link you to it, but don't know how. Lots of Dominican Beauty there
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
There was an ongoing thread for several years called Dominican Beauty or something similar. Wish I could link you to it, but don't know how. Lots of Dominican Beauty there
Der Fish

I've seen that thread. My children are half Dominican, my wife is, they're beautiful to me, I've friends here , a great church, however that's doesn't have much to do with the beauty of Dominican Republic. There are many kind and great Dominican people, just as there are many kind and great Dutch, American and maybe even French people (jk). Where I don't find beauty is in the way the Dominican society works, the chaos, corruption, summer climate, SD in general, well everybody knows the downsides of DR. What I like here is what I would like anywhere else.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
For the most part the Island itself is beautiful, as are the people. It is as Mauricio stated the chaos, corruption, etc... is the huge negative. Arguing with the phone company, cable company, electric company, etc...gets old. Traffic is , well there is no word to describe it. Over time it begins to drain you especially in Santo Domingo. These scandals just bring to light just how corrupt the system is (again DR1 so comment is based on this).

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
For the most part the Island itself is beautiful, as are the people. It is as Mauricio stated the chaos, corruption, etc... is the huge negative. Arguing with the phone company, cable company, electric company, etc...gets old. Traffic is , well there is no word to describe it. Over time it begins to drain you especially in Santo Domingo. These scandals just bring to light just how corrupt the system is (again DR1 so comment is based on this).

For a brief moment, I thought you were describing living in New York City.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've seen that thread. My children are half Dominican, my wife is, they're beautiful to me, I've friends here , a great church, however that's doesn't have much to do with the beauty of Dominican Republic. There are many kind and great Dominican people, just as there are many kind and great Dutch, American and maybe even French people (jk). Where I don't find beauty is in the way the Dominican society works, the chaos, corruption, summer climate, SD in general, well everybody knows the downsides of DR. What I like here is what I would like anywhere else.
Livng in the beautiful mountains of Jarabacoa is a great way to live apart from the chaos, summer climate, corruption and horrible traffic.

It's like living in the hills of North Jersey knowing NYC is there if we need it.

I think the people here are also different, still some pleasant "campo" in them, although the town has grown immensely.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...have noticed that people have mentioned the traffic, and I will mention the drivers.....last night I got word that a neighbor and frend, lost her oldest son and his daughter... killed while driving his motorcycle.... alcohol was involved.......Doc....../

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
last night i was a bit late driving back to santo domingo from sosua and the amount of cars and motorbikes on the road without any tail lights .....and quiet a few with no head lights as well....it is amazing that more accidents dont occur.its a new form of russian roulette
another reminder to be home before dark falls

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
At my place of employment, I've met many, many people who have visited the D.R... from occasional vacationers, church missions, work, medical missions...

Overwhelmingly: "Oh, José, your people are crazy. CRAZY. But I love it!"

Oh, yeah, there is that lady from South America who was mad at the country because... "it rained while on the beach"

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Livng in the beautiful mountains of Jarabacoa is a great way to live apart from the chaos, summer climate, corruption and horrible traffic.

It's like living in the hills of North Jersey knowing NYC is there if we need it.

I think the people here are also different, still some pleasant "campo" in them, although the town has grown immensely.

I'm sure living in the mountains or somewhere on the north coast is a whole different experience. 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just a reminder that this thread is about the Odebrecht corruption scandal, please keep your posts focused on that. 

Any further off Topic posts will be deleted 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the results of the appeal were given out late at night yesterday. \
rondon and diaz continue in preventive jail (12 and 9 months respectively).
pittaluga 9 months house arrest.
segura, montas, bautista and gonzalez are out on bail (15 million pesos), cannot leave DR and have to present themselves monthly in procuraduria.
sanchez torres bail of 10 millions and conditions as above.
leonidas de oleo bail of 5 million and conditions as above.
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/07/...mbia-coercion-demas-implicados-caso-odebrecht

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Apparently he's in bad shape..... I actually saw an RIP to him on Facebook just now, but nothing in the press so might be wrong.

You know his wife is one of the owners (or board of directors members) of the hospital he was taken to, right?

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
the results of the appeal were given out late at night yesterday. \
rondon and diaz continue in preventive jail (12 and 9 months respectively).
pittaluga 9 months house arrest.
segura, montas, bautista and gonzalez are out on bail (15 million pesos), cannot leave DR and have to present themselves monthly in procuraduria.
sanchez torres bail of 10 millions and conditions as above.
leonidas de oleo bail of 5 million and conditions as above.
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/07/...mbia-coercion-demas-implicados-caso-odebrecht

Is the system working....time will tell...