OK, I'm bored....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It drives me nuts that the time on this website is off from every other clock.

Down at the bottom of each page it says All times are GMT -4. The time now is xx:xx PM.

Now, I am surrounded by clocks. My PC's, my cel phone, and a host of other sources.

They are all in agreement pertaining the to hour, but the time on the board is 5 minutes off.

Can you fix that Robert?

Yeah, you must be bored. Really, this is what concerns you? This really bugs you? Come on man.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yeah, you must be bored. Really, this is what concerns you? This really bugs you? Come on man.

Come on LT, do you really think JD really cares. I do believe he is just making a joke of the fact that why can't the dr1 clock be set to the correct time when every other gadget he owns can be set to and keep the correct time...…….

You know, it is like ………… oh I am a little bored right now so let me make a funny...…….

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
oh wait a minute. I noticed recently that I also have black box when someone posts a video. I checked my settings and couldn't find anything wrong. So the "little bugaboo" has something to do with why I can no longer view videos on dr1?

It's a pain but if someone posts a video I have to switch to a different browser and then I can view the video. Not sure when it first happened, maybe within the past few weeks or month...……….

interesing

What is the reason for this problem? Can it be corrected?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
video test.
[video=youtube;DvxxdZpMFHg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvxxdZpMFHg[/video]

Using IE11 black box on my end.

When I switch to Google Chrome no problem with the video.

Using Microsoft Edge no problem.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
No can see.
For some time there have been certain sites where I have been unable to play videos.
dr1 has never been one of those sites.
Suddenly it is.
My understanding is that there may be an issue with my browser (IE11) not supporting playback of some videos.
Has something recently changed on the site that could have provoked the change in situation?
Is there any possible work around?
Or am I on my own and out of luck?
(i suspect the latter)
BTW...
Many thanks for the resolution of the time clock.
While it may not have fallen into the category of major life crisis, it was a curiosity. (for some of us at least)
Curiosity did, after all, kill the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Robert,

The time issue was a tiny detail, but details make the big picture.

The big issue is the updating of the site so that it is a secure site. We need to migrate to https.

Do you need help to get this fixed on DR1? Waitman has offered to help us fix this asap. Let us do it NOW!

The years long delay in fixing this explains why forum members are having problems in accessing DR1 and many other issues that have been hurting the site.

Let's not wait anymore. DR1 could be blacklisted because of our lack of action today or tomorrow to this essential issue.

From the editorial side, the forum posters and myself with the news, we work very hard every day to share information.

DR1 cannot afford to wait any longer to become a secure site.

----

https://searchengineland.com/effect...ill-mark-non-https-sites-as-not-secure-291623

Effective July 2018, Google’s Chrome browser will mark non-HTTPS sites as ‘not secure’
After years of pushing for 'secure by default' web sites, Google will identify insecure sites in the Chrome browser beginning mid-Summer.
Michelle Robbins on February 8, 2018 at 6:11 pm
MORE

July is shaping up to be a big month for Google. Earlier this month, the company announced its Speed Update set to roll out in July, and today announced it will then also mark all sites that have not migrated to HTTPS as “not secure.”

This move will coincide with the release of Chrome 68 and will look like this in a user’s browser:

HTTPS warning in Chrome 68

Google has been pushing webmasters to make the change to non-secure web sites a for years now – including hinting at small rankings boost to further incentivize the shift. The campaign has proved successful. According to their blog post:

Over 68% of Chrome traffic on both Android and Windows is now protected
Over 78% of Chrome traffic on both Chrome OS and Mac is now protected
81 of the top 100 sites on the web use HTTPS by default
Depending upon the size of a site and scope of the project, a migration from HTTP to HTTPS can be quite an undertaking. Check out the resources below for in depth guides to making this change on your or your client’s sites, along with resources for validation and dealing with mixed content issues.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No can see.
For some time there have been certain sites where I have been unable to play videos.
dr1 has never been one of those sites.
Suddenly it is
My understanding is that there may be an issue with my browser (IE11) not supporting playback of some videos...............

Exact same thing with me fly. Only IE11, Google Chrome or Edge no problem (so far).

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
Exact same thing with me fly. Only IE11, Google Chrome or Edge no problem (so far).

This issue is caused by a security setting in IE which blocks "active" iframe content (it considers video player "active content"). It's potentially a bad idea to run another site in an iframe, although it is generally safe - it is possibly an XSS security risk. We would normally trust "big G" not to steal our cookies (used for login), right? It's probably not going to happen. By default on modern browsers they should not allow cookies to pass through an iframe to another domain (like youtube).. but its generally a safe practice in modern times to use an HTML "video" tag instead of an iframe....

that being said, this 'blackout video' problem can also be prevented if you stop IE rendering HTML in "Compatibility Mode".
It's possible to disable "Compatibility Mode" in the browser settings. It's also possible to disable the iframe security feature, but let's not go there at the moment.

I did add an HTTP response header which _should_ tell Internet Explorer to NOT do "Compatibility Mode" but i need to test it to see if it works right.

Code:
# HEAD -e http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/172219-OK-I-m-bored/page4
200 OK
Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
Connection: close
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 16:03:17 GMT
Pragma: private
Server: cloudflare
Vary: User-Agent
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Expires: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 16:09:02 GMT
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.38
X-UA-Compatible: IE=Edge

The forum software is also putting "IE=8" in **** tag the layout, I will track that down and change it as well.

Hopefully this will solve the video issue, without asking the end-user to change their settings.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ Waitman, whatever you said sounds good to me...……… ROTFLMAO

(I think I understand you. You are going to try to do something so I don't have to try to do something.) thanks...

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
ie11.jpg
I tested on my M$ Windows laptop, with ie11. it seems to work. can you try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.