OK, I'm bored....

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I still cannot see the paragraphs... just types in a straight line - no indentations show in the typing but show in the final product.

Has happened before.... slightly maddening

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
FireFox for both
Video works fine
Typing won’t paragraph, change lines

Like running a marathon...in a straight line....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This issue is caused by a security setting in IE which blocks "active" iframe content (it considers video player "active content"). It's potentially a bad idea to run another site in an iframe, although it is generally safe - it is possibly an XSS security risk. We would normally trust "big G" not to steal our cookies (used for login), right? It's probably not going to happen. By default on modern browsers they should not allow cookies to pass through an iframe to another domain (like youtube).. but its generally a safe practice in modern times to use an HTML "video" tag instead of an iframe....

that being said, this 'blackout video' problem can also be prevented if you stop IE rendering HTML in "Compatibility Mode".
It's possible to disable "Compatibility Mode" in the browser settings. It's also possible to disable the iframe security feature, but let's not go there at the moment.

I did add an HTTP response header which _should_ tell Internet Explorer to NOT do "Compatibility Mode" but i need to test it to see if it works right.

Code:
# HEAD -e http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/172219-OK-I-m-bored/page4
200 OK
Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
Connection: close
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 16:03:17 GMT
Pragma: private
Server: cloudflare
Vary: User-Agent
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Expires: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 16:09:02 GMT
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.5.38
X-UA-Compatible: IE=Edge

The forum software is also putting "IE=8" in **** tag the layout, I will track that down and change it as well.

Hopefully this will solve the video issue, without asking the end-user to change their settings.

Not exactly the way I would have addressed the issue, but hey, it works, right??

(that's a joke, don't pay attention to anything I say)

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
The total black box is gone but this is what I get when I click...….

4rb0ix.jpg

sorry, that's a screen shot i posted. how about a video? like this:
[video=youtube;RhMEKiIb86I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMEKiIb86I[/video]

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
I still cannot see the paragraphs... just types in a straight line - no indentations show in the typing but show in the final product.

Has happened before.... slightly maddening

I possibly fixed the newline problem. it was annoying me as well.

At least now I get newlines with Firefox, Chrome, IE and Metro or Edge or whatever MS is calling it these days. But possibly I broke something else(?) the icons appear to function in the editor. and preview works. So maybe it's good? Let me know if you notice anything no-worky.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
maybe browser cache issue, i advanced the variable used in the cache scheme which should force a download of the updated file.. otherwise might have to do a shift key - refresh.
While you are online, can anything be done to permanently remove the Google ads that are between almost all dr1 posts on my computer ?
Don't know if anyone else is still experiencing this.....

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
I do not believe the ads should be between every post. i'll check it out because I think big G allows a certain number of ads on a page. AFAIK the revenue from the ads covers some of the cost of the server fees, but I have not seen accounting. It's not like the year 2000 anymore, where big G made 10 cents on a dollar of ad money and the publisher made 90 cents. These days big G takes 99 cents and publisher gets a penny. :) While ads are annoying, paywalled content can be equally annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.