Orange flybox internet is a joke atm...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
OK, I just had the people from Tekcom here, from Cabarete. I gave them a call to get more info, and they were here within an hour to explain everything.

The owner is German, and his associate American. They are a licenced internetprovider in the DR.

They offer wireless internet with plans starting at 1,5MB download, 768kb up, up to 10MB download. And they are truly unlimited, no hidden 25 or 30GB.

I took the 1,5MB plan, which is 32 usd per month, taxes included. With the promise on the contract I could increase the speed, if I want to without extra cost (except for the more expensive plan of course).

You do have to pay for the installation, which is 150 usd. This includes the installation, modem, testing and service afterwards. If you would need an antenna on the roof, the price for the installation is 200 usd, but they compensate this by giving you a lower monthly rate for the first 3 months.

If you can prove you are not getting the promised speeds, you can break the contract without costs. The contract runs for 12 months.

So, tomorrow the technician comes to have a look, and test the signal, and next week they do the installation.

Will keep you up to date.

BelgianK

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Thats not bad i might have to look into that after my contract is up I had something like that when I first moved I had an antenna no modem it was ok not very fast i called the guy to collect it because one day I did not have any service for weeks. Keep us updated belgian if it works out ill make the switch !

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, but is down atm. They told me it should be up and running again in a day or 2. They did a new release which really screwed it up.

www.tek.com.do

telephone is 809 962 44 33 (name is Udo and speaks perfect English)
email u2@tek,com.do

BelgianK

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Yes, but is down atm. They told me it should be up and running again in a day or 2. They did a new release which really screwed it up.

www.tek.com.do

telephone is 809 962 44 33 (name is Udo and speaks perfect English)
email u2@tek,com.do

BelgianK

Usually I don't bother, but call them and cancel ASAP.. Walk into the cable del norte office and get whatever internet plan you can afford from them.. There is absolutely no comparison on the NC.. NOTHING.. Cable del norte gives you US quality comcast internet based out of miami, not sure of too much about the plans and pricing.. I pay 7300 RD monthly for 10mb download internet with no bandwidth limitations and absolutely no downtime. I also have claro and tekcom antenna here and it doesn't even compare, I never even use the other two connections.. Please don't waste your time and just walk into cable del norte, in the plaza media luna .. Good Luck! :) Installation is 600 pesos btw.. the cheapest plan starts at 500RD monthly for 512kbs (way to slow for most)..

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Since today we have the new internet by Tekcom in Cabarete.

The setup and installation was/is a bit of a hassle (notebook connecting perfectly, desktop atm not), but I have to say the service given is excellent. I called the guy about the desktop and he is on his way over now to fix it (he evenproposed yesterday at 7 pm to come over straight away, but I declined that).

If you would go for this company, do not forget you need a router. He had forgotten to tell methis, but luckily enough I had one lying around.

Tested the speed several times today with speedtest.net and get a ping of cc. 68ms, download of 1.7mb and upload of 1mb, just as they promised in the plan.

Plan is really unlimited data and costs 32$/month, contract of 12 months.

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Usually I don't bother, but call them and cancel ASAP.. Walk into the cable del norte office and get whatever internet plan you can afford from them.. There is absolutely no comparison on the NC.. NOTHING.. Cable del norte gives you US quality comcast internet based out of miami, not sure of too much about the plans and pricing.. I pay 7300 RD monthly for 10mb download internet with no bandwidth limitations and absolutely no downtime. I also have claro and tekcom antenna here and it doesn't even compare, I never even use the other two connections.. Please don't waste your time and just walk into cable del norte, in the plaza media luna .. Good Luck! :) Installation is 600 pesos btw.. the cheapest plan starts at 500RD monthly for 512kbs (way to slow for most)..

I would have done that, but the quality of our cable (the actual cable) is very bad, and they do not replace it. They just keep putting more connections in it. This is DeLancer.

BelgianK

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
What would be the best plane, budget wise, for a speed of like 5 mbit. please could you posts links aswell. I've been told different stories about different providers. Hey seems like there is no difference between DR and Europe (besides the price).

Need a reliable connection with no steep installation costs and speed is not such a big seal, has to be at least 3-4 Mbit effectively!

Since today we have the new internet by Tekcom in Cabarete.

The setup and installation was/is a bit of a hassle (notebook connecting perfectly, desktop atm not), but I have to say the service given is excellent. I called the guy about the desktop and he is on his way over now to fix it (he evenproposed yesterday at 7 pm to come over straight away, but I declined that).

If you would go for this company, do not forget you need a router. He had forgotten to tell methis, but luckily enough I had one lying around.

Tested the speed several times today with speedtest.net and get a ping of cc. 68ms, download of 1.7mb and upload of 1mb, just as they promised in the plan.

Plan is really unlimited data and costs 32$/month, contract of 12 months.

BelgianK

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
What would be the best plane, budget wise, for a speed of like 5 mbit. please could you posts links aswell. I've been told different stories about different providers. Hey seems like there is no difference between DR and Europe (besides the price).

Need a reliable connection with no steep installation costs and speed is not such a big seal, has to be at least 3-4 Mbit effectively!

I know the 3mb plan was 64$, but the guy 5s dropping by shortly, and I will ask for the other prices

BelgianK

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I would have done that, but the quality of our cable (the actual cable) is very bad, and they do not replace it. They just keep putting more connections in it. This is DeLancer.

BelgianK

Ah I understand now, I'm glad to have read that tekcom is working well for you now, perhaps they have made some upgrades in your area.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Just for example, at my office here in Cabarete which I ordered the 6mb plan for from cable del norte (at home I have the 10mb plan which is about 2-3 mb faster than this one).

35cj2wx.png

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
A couple of days in, I can only say I have been very satisfied with Tekcom...

The speed is what they promised....

But the big difference is in the reliability. With Orange you would get 3mb for a couple of seconds, then 125kb or even slower. Tekcom stays at constant speed.

As an example, I will give downloading a movie. With orange, at full speed, we would go from 800kb/s to 0.5kb/s continously. Downloading a regular movie would take more than a day. With Tekcom, we get constant download speed around 150kb/s, meaning downloading a movie in about 4 hours.

Yes, I downloaded a movie in 4 minutes in Belgium, but not living there anymore.

I want to view a post on DR1. With orange flybox it would take up to 30 seconds or longer to pop up, now it just appears in a fraction of a second. I want to reply to a post, previously it would take me several attempts, now I just do it. Yes, I know several people will regret this improvement... lol

Overall, very satisfied. Some issues with the quality of the installation, but they are dealing with this as they recognized it. And they have not charged me either for it, until issues are solved.

BelgianK

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Is Cable Del Norte's Internet provided by Comcast?

Yes that is what they said.. I was actually told there is an underwater cable that provides it, which is kind of hard to believe but all I know is my internet absolutely never goes out and I have US speeds.. the costs are high though, and I really hope they don't start overselling it.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
OK, because I have Comcast through Delancer and the service is far from consistent, and while the download speeds are usually what they claim, the upload speed is rarely half what it should be...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
OK, because I have Comcast through Delancer and the service is far from consistent, and while the download speeds are usually what they claim, the upload speed is rarely half what it should be...

try speedtest.net and upload a pic with what you are getting, compared to what they claim you should have.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Codetel "high speed" ADSL is bad too......
Not dependable and usually far slower than I am paying for....
carib

oldgringo

Oct 2, 2012
I have used Tekcom for over a year. Prefer to go with the little guy for better customer service and to help the local economy vs making Carlos Slim any richer. Carlos is actually a friend of mine from Mexico. I am sure he won`t mind.Tekcom is a locally owned . The owner Evelio Oliva is not German, his associate is. Other than a setback a few months ago that I believe was due to a medical emergency, I have enjoyed my service and the stability. They even suspended my service for a month while i was gone, no problema. I have thier new Warp 7 plan for about $120 a month. I have always gotten a minimum of 4+ down and 2+ up, always. I have not lost signal due to weather unless it was due to electricity going out. So long story short I recomend Tekcom, talk to David davids@tek.com.do he is new there but very effective. He is not going to blow smoke up your arse.