Origin of DR1ers

Where are you from?

• Total voters

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well then you are not native Cdn are you? You and/or your relatives came from some other country and you had the freedom and choice to keep your traditions or not. What is a true Canadian tradition anyway that did not come from some other country? Did we ask or follow our true Native Canadians traditions? Yes? No? Or did we push them in a part of Canada so far and cold where we don't have to look at them?

Anyone born in Canada is a native Canadian, regardless of where their parents came from. Aboriginal Canadians were just earlier immigrants with more generations born in the land now called Canada. Canadian tradition is the rule of law, and the Canadian bill of rights and freedoms. Everything else is a cultural tradition brought by immigrants at varying times throughout the past 10,000 years. Lots of Aboriginals where I'm from. Also in my family tree. I have several cousins that are very good carvers of " native " art.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
She was just having a bad day, Bob...... you're right about 'native' - check Webster's or the Oxford.

As for 'pushing them north'.......... I'm still deciphering that one.

Don't see many Inuits or Eskimos on Pt Pelee.... never have.... not indigenous

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
For once .... Canadians going at it instead of Americans!

I never thought I would see this ..... a rare thing indeed! :laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The reason my Sicilian blood pressure went up was because you said

I choose not to remember why I said the rest. :)

That my dear, was an oblique way of differentiating between 'native' and 'aboriginal' for those who might confuse the two.
Believe it or not, some people actually do confuse the two.

BTW, I live very near Ipperwash when in Canada.....

Once when shopping at a local supermarket, I remarked on checkout at the good prices....

"Of course, you're on the reservation here, no tax..."

Truly, I was 40yds off the major roadway #21 in Ontario.....
That's another little bonus the aboriginals get from their "conquerors" (as you would have it)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
She was just having a bad day, Bob...... you're right about 'native' - check Webster's or the Oxford.

As for 'pushing them north'.......... I'm still deciphering that one.

Don't see many Inuits or Eskimos on Pt Pelee.... never have.... not indigenous

Actually a native friend of mine, Rex Gartiner is from Pelee.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Southernmost point in Canada....... no igloos... but lots of Indians....

Ever try the wine ?? Not terrible

not sure where the southern most part of Canada is... but when the Admiral and I visited Niagra Falls (Canadian side) a few years back, we had a GREAT time visiting and touring the vineyards and wineries. Got some decent wine too... sadly, not as good as Cali though. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats the Niagara peninsula - pretty good wine country ... Ice Wine is the specialty, a dessert wine.

Pt Pelee is 100M from the US border... near Detroit/Windsor.... at the other end of Lake Erie, where you were

Lake Erie flows from Detroit to Buffalo/Niagara Falls... then 'falls' in to Lake Ontario via the Niagara River.
Site of many a battle in the War of 1812-14... good history there

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thats the Niagara peninsula - pretty good wine country ... Ice Wine is the specialty, a dessert wine.

Pt Pelee is 100M from the US border... near Detroit/Windsor.... at the other end of Lake Erie, where you were

Lake Erie flows from Detroit to Buffalo/Niagara Falls... then 'falls' in to Lake Ontario via the Niagara River.
Site of many a battle in the War of 1812-14... good history there

Best wines from Canada are from the Okanagan valley in British Columbia.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not sure I know how to answer this question? I lived here in the DR in the 60's before i started grade school. Then we went back to the U.S in the 60's and i went to grade school in the U.S until the end of 8th grade. At the beginning of High School, we moved back here to the DR so that i could start high school here. I went to high school here for 2.5 years before returning back to the U.S to finish high school. After high school, i went to college and then i moved to Norway. My father retired and came back home to the DR in 1992. I've been spending my winters here in the DR ever since 92, but going back to Norway every spring and summer to work.

Where am i from...i have no idea. I imagine there are many more people like me---caught in-between easy to define definitions of where we are from--having grown up in-between two different countries.

I no longer have a U.S driver's license; I just use my Norwegian Driver's license wherever i travel to. Why? because a Norwegian Driver's license is good for 100 years. You never have to renew it. It's good for life! Same goes for all of Scandinavia i believe.

Frank

You're a citizen of the world, which gave you a good insight and a sense of humour!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What's the favorite position for Canadian couples to have sex????
"Doggie Style", so they can BOTH watch "Hockey Night In Canada"!!!!!
What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?????
Sooner, or later, a canoe TIPS!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What's the favorite position for Canadian couples to have sex????
"Doggie Style", so they can BOTH watch "Hockey Night In Canada"!!!!!
What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?????
Sooner, or later, a canoe TIPS!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Stop making fun of us and go post a picture of yourself for the new members that don't know the sweet side of cccccccccccc

here's the link for you http://www.dr1.com/forums/off-topic/135947-do-you-dare-put-pic-up-yourself-16.html#post1287015