Pennsylvania Hospital Wants to Deport an Undocumented Dominican Woman in a Coma

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Unfortunately , I think it's a sign of the times. A lot of desperate ppl out there that want to change the way the world turns around.Too many ppl think "entitlement" before doing what they do.

IMO
It is the 'Everybody gets a Trophy', "It's not my Fault", "I'm a Victim" and "I'm Triggered" syndromes

My pronouns are: He/Ha/Victim

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Medical care is a business not a charity plain and simply. If this person does not have medical insurance of course the hospital wants her out. They don't care if she is deported.

Jan 9, 2004
Well it sounds like she will not recover. You think her wishes would be to return to her home soil for a final resting ?
And you are right - it will not be free in DR, like the Pennsylvania Hospital is providing.
Interesting observation.

Carrying that forward a bit, if she should unfortunately pass here, there likely will be be a gofundme set up to return her home.

Her husband alleges, "medical" deportation, would KILL her and so is fighting against it now even though the hospital has no right to do so.................but should she pass on.........your observation above is probably correct.............

So it comes again to what appears to be the real issue...................immigration.......not health.

Respectfully,
Playyacaribe2

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Imagine living in a country where medical care is a buisness and not a service....... < laughs in European >

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Imagine living in a country where medical care is a buisness and not a service....... < laughs in European >
yes, since money drives the industry, the best medical care can be obtained.

Jan 9, 2004
Keeping this DR related, the DR has "free" healthcare in its public hospitals, yet private clinics and hospitals abound.................wondering out loud why..........but knowing the answer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Keeping this DR related, the DR has "free" healthcare in its public hospitals, yet private clinics and hospitals abound.................wondering out loud why..........but knowing the answer.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Best of both worlds, DR is same as Europe.

Free public hospitals for all, however if you want a private " hotel" type room and service, you get a " complémentaire" insurance, and go to a private clinic.

Not sure about the DR but in europe doctors have to do a certain amount of work in public hospitals........ putting a doctor through medical studies is not free---- well it is for the student🙄---- and they have to " give back" to the community.

Jan 9, 2004
Best of both worlds, DR is same as Europe.

Let me know your experience after your stay in a public hospital in the DR.
Free public hospitals for all, however if you want a private " hotel" type room and service, you get a " complémentaire" insurance, and go to a private clinic.

So what might that say about the quality of service...............not just the level.
Not sure about the DR but in europe doctors have to do a certain amount of work in public hospitals........ putting a doctor through medical studies is not free---- well it is for the student🙄---- and they have to " give back" to the community.

Same here. They must devote so much time in the public hospitals....................and then they either open their own clinic or go to a private hospital.

Speaks volumes about that "free" healthcare in the DR............

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Can doctors here make a decent living staying in the public hospital? I'm assuming it wouldn't be extravagant but have basic 1st world accourtements.
According to them.....no. They have threatened and held numerous strikes over the years over the low pay they receive.............which is why so many, while they work in the public sector for the government, also have their own clinics that are private pay.

My wife has a younger cousin,. a doctor, currently doing her "time" in a public hospital.................and at the first opportunity......she will leave.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: NanSanPedro

malko

Jan 12, 2013
According to them.....no. They have threatened and held numerous strikes over the years over the low pay they receive.............which is why so many, while they work in the public sector for the government, also have their own clinics that are private pay.

My wife has a younger cousin,. a doctor, currently doing her "time" in a public hospital.................and at the first opportunity......she will leave.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

There is an easy solution, where I come from, after internship, ie full time in a public hospital, doctors still owe X amount of days per year to the public health system.

As I said before, putting a student through med school is far from cheap. Goverments front that cost and need ROI.
Medical doctors shouldnt be in that field for the wealth ( that said, of course they should be well paid ), it should ( and thankfully still is for most ) be a calling.
If they wanted to be rich and have a bunch of " stuff", they should have gone to buisness school or law school and became a bankster or a lawyer, imho.

Reactions: Lucifer

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I do not want to see a doctor anywhere that is not in it for the money. Like any product or service, you get what you pay for. Premium care cost more. I am of course not talking about doctors who volunteer and donate their service (tax deductible, I might add) to projects like smile train. Fact of the matter is, Doctors go to medical school to make coin, not to do volunteer work for uninsured bums.

Jan 9, 2004
There is an easy solution, where I come from, after internship, ie full time in a public hospital, doctors still owe X amount of days per year to the public health system.

As I said before, putting a student through med school is far from cheap. Goverments front that cost and need ROI.
Medical doctors shouldnt be in that field for the wealth ( that said, of course they should be well paid ), it should ( and thankfully still is for most ) be a calling.
If they wanted to be rich and have a bunch of " stuff", they should have gone to buisness school or law school and became a bankster or a lawyer, imho.
And if a doctor does not pay that debt to the public health system............................then what?

Involuntary servitude has been outlawed where I come from for 150+ years. You may have a cause of action in contract.............but no one, at least in my country, can be compelled/forced to work for anyone.

And that, of course, is one of the literally thousands of reasons why so many Dominicans, legal and otherwise, continue to come here......many risking all.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I'm glad to see the quotation marks around the word free.

I've been in some public hospitals in the province of Puerto Plata because of having helped several groups of medical professionals from the US to provide services there.

The bed is free as is the diagnosis by the doctor. Patients have to purchase the medications that are prescribed, along with other supplies such as gauze pads. Family members or friends stay with them to provide bedside care.

Often, patients lie on bare, plastic coated mattresses if sheets are not provided. On one trip I facilitated the doctors brought sheets with them to give to their patients so they didn't have to sleep on bare mattresses after surgery. One patient had her sheet stolen by a nurse who took it and told her it would be washed and returned. The sheet was not returned, of course.

I was a patient at Centro Medico Bournigal several times. Nurses there were accepting tips from patients' family members. All I can say to that is: "How unprofessional!."

I once helped the mother of two children who each had cleft lip and palate to obtain free corrective surgery in a hospital in LaRomana.

Unfortunately, the mother, who didn't have the money to travel to Santo Domingo for the evaluation of her children so that they would be accepted into the free program, was told that the surgery would be free but use of the OR would cost several thousand pesos (when the tasa was 15). We ended up raising money among the expats in Puerto Plata to defray that cost.

Free care in Dominican public hospitals isn't really free!

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'm glad to see the quotation marks around the word free.

I've been in some public hospitals in the province of Puerto Plata because of having helped several groups of medical professionals from the US to provide services there.

The bed is free as is the diagnosis by the doctor. Patients have to purchase the medications that are prescribed, along with other supplies such as gauze pads. Family members or friends stay with them to provide bedside care.

Often, patients lie on bare, plastic coated mattresses if sheets are not provided. On one trip I facilitated the doctors brought sheets with them to give to their patients so they didn't have to sleep on bare mattresses after surgery. One patient had her sheet stolen by a nurse who took it and told her it would be washed and returned. The sheet was not returned, of course.

I was a patient at Centro Medico Bournigal several times. Nurses there were accepting tips from patients' family members. All I can say to that is: "How unprofessional!."

I once helped the mother of two children who each had cleft lip and palate to obtain free corrective surgery in a hospital in LaRomana.

Unfortunately, the mother, who didn't have the money to travel to Santo Domingo for the evaluation of her children so that they would be accepted into the free program, was told that the surgery would be free but use of the OR would cost several thousand pesos (when the tasa was 15). We ended up raising money among the expats in Puerto Plata to defray that cost.

Free care in Dominican public hospitals isn't really free!
That helps us understand much better, thanks.

It sounds like Haiti's almost. Not sure if there are material differences.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I think La Profe post explains possibly one of the reasons why the husband is concerned about his wife being sent to the DR. Care is not really free in the DR, there are always things you have to pay for. Difficult situation.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
In fact, the situation in the public hospitals is so bad that some cities, including Puerto Plata, have obtained the services of the Siervas de María.
They are a Puerto Rican community of Catholic religious who are nurses. They spend their nights caring for patients in the public hospitals. Often the family members who provide bedside care have to return home in the evening. The sisters replace them and make certain that the patients receive care.

That should tell you something about the level of medical care in the public hospitals. It does not auger well when volunteer nurses routinely fill in the gaps in the care provided by the hospitals.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I do not want to see a doctor anywhere that is not in it for the money. Like any product or service, you get what you pay for. Premium care cost more. I am of course not talking about doctors who volunteer and donate their service (tax deductible, I might add) to projects like smile train. Fact of the matter is, Doctors go to medical school to make coin, not to do volunteer work for uninsured bums.

You mean people like Marie Curie and Louis Pasteur were in it for the coin ? lol

Btw, 3 guesses as to who funded their research... hint : it was not their patients.