Permanent residency renewal alert!

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I just got an email today from my bank requesting certification from the company or government institution that I'm getting my pension from.

Simple enough if ... You're transferring funds from one bank to another. (US to DR I suspect) Just show deposit info. Same with Investment company. They'll have records of said amount deposited into bank.
For S.S use your 1099 statement. Investment firm should have sent you the same.
Proving it's you online may be problematical though.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So those people have a valid license to drive for 30 days each time they re-enter the DR. After 30 days, they "probably" won't have a problem.

If "they" have an accident after 30 days in country, or if they need to use their insurance coverage, they could have a problem if it is discovered that they were operating a vehicle without legal standing to do so.

Simply put, driving (which is a privileged and not a right anywhere that I know of) without a valid license as per the rules of wherever you happen to be driving, is a risk to your liberty and to your bank balance. How much of a risk and the driver's acceptance of that risk is a decision the individual needs to determine.

One would assume that you pay insurance premiums so that you do not have to personally deal with every claim from a careless driver and their crooked lawyer but maybe I've got that wrong.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If "they" have an accident after 30 days in country, or if they need to use their insurance coverage, they could have a problem if it is discovered that they were operating a vehicle without legal standing to do so.

Simply put, driving (which is a privileged and not a right anywhere that I know of) without a valid license as per the rules of wherever you happen to be driving, is a risk to your liberty and to your bank balance. How much of a risk and the driver's acceptance of that risk is a decision the individual needs to determine.

One would assume that you pay insurance premiums so that you do not have to personally deal with every claim from a careless driver and their crooked lawyer but maybe I've got that wrong.

A number of people have bragged that they either live here are stay extended periods, have insurance and drive their cars without any issues getting their insurance companies to pay for accidents they have had.

I have not seen any postings about refusal to pay because someone was driving on a license that was not valid in the DR because of the time spent here.

So far, not much risk based upon the lack of real world evidence.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
A number of people have bragged that they either live here are stay extended periods, have insurance and drive their cars without any issues getting their insurance companies to pay for accidents they have had.

I have not seen any postings about refusal to pay because someone was driving on a license that was not valid in the DR because of the time spent here.

So far, not much risk based upon the lack of real world evidence.
How many have been in an accident with significant bodily harm ir death that was their fault and the insurance company made good on all aspects of the policy?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It would be an exceptionally rare instance for someone to post "everything is possible" and then have to admit that:

1) They had vehicle insurance that was not honoured when needed
2) They were hassled/denied entry based on overstaying
3) They had the excessive goods in their suitcase seized/taxed by aduanas
4) Health insurance covered was limited

Lots of speculation, flying around as well as lots of purposeful disregarding of written laws for the sake of convenience or because a workaround exists. From paying an inducement to get something done all the way to lying and hiding the truth, some see nothing wrong with gaming the system so it would be a real shocker for these same people to publicly admit perhaps their previous stance on any particular issue was in error.

These posters either fade away or never mention the experience that was an "unlucky one-off" because the planets happened to be aligned that day. It has been a fairly safe bet that the Govt will continue to not enforce some of the laws in this country, but there is no guarantee of that always being the case.

Same with insurance companies, small settlements may not trigger any sort of consequence as collecting premiums going forward is better business than giving customers the boot because no one seems to care if they have a license or not. However, get into a serious situation where someone dies or their brand new Lexus gets totaled and maybe the leniency usually given, would be harder to pass on - I don't know, I just avoid putting myself in those situations of uncertainty when I can.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How many have been in an accident with significant bodily harm ir death that was their fault and the insurance company made good on all aspects of the policy?

Hell we were in an Accident where the other person admitted fault and it was written up that way at the Casa in Santo Domingo. He had full coverage as did we. Santa Fe was repaired but man it took a lot of arguing...etc to get it done. He had universal and me Mapfre. Yes , we both had valid Dominican licenses.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Never, ever, ever forget.....

this is not the real world.....

I was denied a car loan --- too old
not the car -- ME!!!

Sh!t... I wasn't the collateral !!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We need a name those type of people Windy.....

Will Interlopers work ?

An interloper is someone who is not wanted, so not exactly the correct word for this situation.
They would be "scofflaws" who display a foolish arrogance mixed with ignorance.

English speakers might refer to them in the vernacular with a catch all word that is a synonym for an anal pore.

So far there is not enough evidence of people from the USA/CANADA/EU being deported simply for not being legally in the country or being denied entrance after frequently overstaying before. Nor have people reported failures of insurance companies to pay out when they did not have valid licenses.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Simple enough if ... You're transferring funds from one bank to another. (US to DR I suspect) Just show deposit info. Same with Investment company. They'll have records of said amount deposited into bank.
For S.S use your 1099 statement. Investment firm should have sent you the same.
Proving it's you online may be problematical though.

Hopefully, that's all they'll need, but simple things are rarely simple here. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they want those forms apostillised. I still can't figure out why a bank is suddenly asking for this kind of info(?).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
An interloper is someone who is not wanted, so not exactly the correct word for this situation.
They would be "scofflaws" who display a foolish arrogance mixed with ignorance.

English speakers might refer to them in the vernacular with a catch all word that is a synonym for an anal pore.

So far there is not enough evidence of people from the USA/CANADA/EU being deported simply for not being legally in the country or being denied entrance after frequently overstaying before. Nor have people reported failures of insurance companies to pay out when they did not have valid licenses.

Might be closer than you think - Windy
I checked before posting
=======================================
a person who becomes involved in a place or situation where they are not wanted or are considered not to belong.
"Japanese consumers have in the past been unreceptive to foreign interlopers in the cell phone market"
synonyms: intruder, encroacher, trespasser, invader, infiltrator, unwanted person, unwanted visitor, uninvited guest;

=================================================================

trespasser
Uninvited guest
Apply to extended stay persons... I say... just me

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
Might be closer than you think - Windy

Apply to extended stay persons... I say... just me

Must be just you!

If it was such a problem there would be no more over-stay.

Seems simple enough. If it truly wasn't wanted, it wouldn't be an option...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've said it before - DGM is addicted to the money they get from overstay fees. They're not going to give that up easily - not until they can find some other way to replace it.

And they're not going to do anything to jeopardize it either - like barring entry to overstayers.

Move to Colombia and forget the DR.

I have been living in Colombia for eight months now, in Montenegro, Quindio.
I wish I had come here twenty years ago. Colombia is WAY more advanced on ALL levels. Colombia is extremely inexpensive compared to the DR also, for food, apartments, etc.
Compared to Colombia the DR is Latin America's anus.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

I wish I had come here twenty years ago. Colombia is EVERYTHING the DR isn't.
Great to hear. How long can you stay on a tourist visa?

Great to hear. How long can you stay on a tourist visa?

I have applied for a residency visa and it's a very easy process that requires no lawyer and costs about $250. They have several different kinds of visas and I went for the pensioner visa. They actually welcome foreigners. Not once has a cop here been rude or asked for a bribe. They actually look like cops too, and they even tuck in their shirts and have guns without rust on them.
Under a tourist visa, foreign nationals can stay in Colombia for a maximum of 180 days in any calendar year, regardless of the number of times they have entered and left the country.

Jan 7, 2016
Unfortunately, this isn't a mere inconvenience. It's an internal office rule that has no basis on Dominican Law, but since the office controls who gets to renew their residency it carries the weight of a law. Guzman Ariza says they have no control over it other than to file a complaint, which will probably go in someones circular file.

Update on renewal requirements for Retirees:

Just heard from Guzman Ariza in Santo Domingo and they have been informed that I will be unable to renew my Retiree Residency due to not having enough US Dollars in an account in the D.R. First, they said that I needed $2000 in an account, then the amount changed to 10,000 US and now it's up to $10,500 US. This isn't fault of the Attorneys, but the in-office politics at Immigration. I make a LOT of retirement in the U.S...close to $90,000 per year, but I'm not putting another penny into any Dominican Banks. My condo is listed for sale, I'm going to sell my car (2016 KIA Picanto) with only 4900 km on the clock...May the 1st I'll be on the plane and never look back. The Dominican Republic DOESN'T really want North Americans and Europeans...they only want our money!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Keep riding the endless merry go round called Residency without completing the process and getting citizenship............

And the people coming down for a few months at a time and paying the exit fee cruise through.

Feb 7, 2007

I wish I had come here twenty years ago. Colombia is WAY more advanced on ALL levels. Colombia is extremely inexpensive compared to the DR also, for food, apartments, etc.

I have been to Salento ... Montenegro is not far...must be beautiful in there... Manizales-Pereira-Armenia triangle is gorgeous.