Pernil v Turkey

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Oh man... I need glasses, first I read the title of the thread as "penis" vs turkey...
Then I start reading and wonder, what the hell is a pernil ??
Then yes ! Checked on google and found out is was a roasted pork....

Told you I knew nothing about the DR, even after 2 years living here...
BTW, I prefer turkey.

Lmao!:D Charlise you had me laughing so hard!

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Ha ha! I love this thread! It's an 18 pound turkey for me with sausage, apples and cranberry dressing.;)
I get up at 5 am on Thanksgiving day and make the stuffing. I stuff the turkey and place in oven covered
with aluminum foil and let it sloooowly cook for about 5 hours until the meat falls off the bones.:)

I hate to be a cooking snob, but if the meat falls off the bone, that means it is overcooked.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I hate to be a cooking snob, but if the meat falls off the bone, that means it is overcooked.

It comes out moist and tender just like a puerco asado but if it is overcooked I prefer it that way.:)

It is so delicious!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Oh man... I need glasses, first I read the title of the thread as "penis" vs turkey...
Then I start reading and wonder, what the hell is a pernil ??
Then yes ! Checked on google and found out is was a roasted pork....

Told you I knew nothing about the DR, even after 2 years living here...
BTW, I prefer turkey.

LOL! If you didn't know what pernil is, then you haven't tried it, are not giving your stay in the DR justice, and cannot have a preference based on trying both. Make plans to have some.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It comes out moist and tender just like a puerco asado but if it is overcooked I prefer it that way.:)

It is so delicious!

I absolutely agree! I've never had to use a knife to cut it.

And Chicagoan, each and every Latin restaurant I've been in that serves pernil simply use tongs to pick the meat off the bone - no knives necessary. .

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My favorite will be and always will be the stuffing on Thanksgiving.

Family cooks both the turkey and pernil.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I absolutely agree! I've never had to use a knife to cut it.

And Chicagoan, each and every Latin restaurant I've been in that serves pernil simply use tongs to pick the meat off the bone - no knives necessary. .

That may be. I have never had pernil, so I cannot comment. But we were talking about turkey falling off the bone. My uncle was a chef in Las Vegas, and when people would say that the meat fell off the bone, he would cringe.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Braciole for those who know better.

The-Italian-Braciole-Cheeze-Recipe.jpg

Also, a turkey for the gringos(non Italians). Blah!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Awesome. We have a lady come and cook for us once a week, she is pretty good, hopefully she can make it! I am having a hard time finding good cuts of meat. I go to the meat stands and I have no idea what cuts I am looking at, the seem so much different then what is in the grocery stores in the US. More things to learn. Also need to figure out how to tenderize it. I assume the meat it tougher because it is not aged?, is that correct?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Try brining . It is easy and cheep . Desolive salt and sugar in watter and subermerge the turkey in the watter . If it is a big bird use a cooler with ice and let it sit 24 hours.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That may be. I have never had pernil, so I cannot comment. But we were talking about turkey falling off the bone. My uncle was a chef in Las Vegas, and when people would say that the meat fell off the bone, he would cringe.

So sorry, I misunderstood, I was drooling at the thought of pernil falling off the bone.....

I'm allergic to white meat of turkey and chicken [how weird is that??? not just me either, several cousins too], so I'd take pernil over turkey any day.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
Awesome. We have a lady come and cook for us once a week, she is pretty good, hopefully she can make it! I am having a hard time finding good cuts of meat. I go to the meat stands and I have no idea what cuts I am looking at, the seem so much different then what is in the grocery stores in the US. More things to learn. Also need to figure out how to tenderize it. I assume the meat it tougher because it is not aged?, is that correct?

I went to carrefour in SD and found a huge diagram of their beef cuts and took a photo of it. Maybe it exists for pork cuts as well!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also read "penis v turkey". and worse still, it seemed like a legit question to me because i was thinking they both have wrinkled flabby necks, right?

in any case, turkey does not appeal to me at all. i'll take pernil. or penis, even, kthxbai.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
i also read "penis v turkey". and worse still, it seemed like a legit question to me because i was thinking they both have wrinkled flabby necks, right?

It's called a"Freudian Slip." If I read it enough I'll probably start seeing "penis v vagina." :)