Pernil v Turkey

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
That may be. I have never had pernil, so I cannot comment. But we were talking about turkey falling off the bone. My uncle was a chef in Las Vegas, and when people would say that the meat fell off the bone, he would cringe.

I know a lot of people who would also cringe because they prefer their meats rare, medium rare
or medium well done (small amount of pink in the center) Well done to them is overcooked.:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know a lot of people who would also cringe because they prefer their meats rare, medium rare or medium well done (small amount of pink in the center) Well done to them is overcooked.:)

there is a meat and meat. i am happy with chicken or ribs cooked so that meat falls off the bone. pork, even (i like patitas, what can i say). but i am pretty sure beef is not meant to fall off da bone.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
there is a meat and meat. i am happy with chicken or ribs cooked so that meat falls off the bone. pork, even (i like patitas, what can i say). but i am pretty sure beef is not meant to fall off da bone.

Oh! dv8! Then you've never had chuck roast(beef)t cooked in the oven or crock pot until fork tender and
smothered in barbecue sauce and loaded on toasted buns! So good!:lick:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Oh! dv8! Then you've never had chuck roast(beef)t cooked in the oven or crock pot until fork tender and
smothered in barbecue sauce and loaded on toasted buns! So good!:lick:

but in fact you are eating bbq sauce with a bite to it :)

mind you, I like a good Belgian beef stew where the beef is cooked slowly for hours in beer.

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, bronzie. traditionally in polish cooking beef would have a consistency and taste of a shoe sole smothered in tar.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I had fried turkey once. It was okay, but I cannot see what all the fuss is about.

Also, it's very dangerous. Since it became the rage, you keep hearing about people burning down their houses trying to fry their turkeys.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. When I cook a turkey, I always buy a fresh one. They tend to be much moister and more flavorful. My kids love it.

I also cook a mean "lechon." We don't use the term pernil in my family. My late husband was Filipino and his word for roast pork was lechon.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. When I cook a turkey, I always buy a fresh one. They tend to be much moister and more flavorful. My kids love it.

I also cook a mean "lechon." We don't use the term pernil in my family. My late husband was Filipino and his word for roast pork was lechon.

Speaking of which my heart goes out to all Phillipine families for which this Holiday has wrought nothing but disaster. Dios les de la fuerza para sobrevivir.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Speaking of which my heart goes out to all Phillipine families for which this Holiday has wrought nothing but disaster. Dios les de la fuerza para sobrevivir.

100% agree, I can only imagine 300+ kmh winds... let us hope international help gets there fast... and my deep sympathies for the families who lost loved ones in this natural disaster

BelgianK

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I hate to be a cooking snob, but if the meat falls off the bone, that means it is overcooked.

Hmm....
I have always heard that if, when eating poultry, the meat clings to the bone that could mean one of two things....
The bird is undercooked or the bird is a very old hag.
It could also mean both I guess.
I also prefer my ham on the dry side.....(lol...).
To each his own.

Aug 6, 2006
Lechon/ cerdo/ marrano/ puerco/ pernil

There are, of course, two reasons why Hispanic people eat swine of various descriptions for special occasions. The first reason is religion. In the 1400's Spain decided to convert or expel the Muslims and the Jews. The deal was that if they converted, they got to keep all their stuff and got to stay in Spain. They were also expected to stop using Muslim and Jewish names. Super Chritians names, like Santamaria, Trinidad, and de Jesus were quite popular among the conversos. But there were many who continued to keep ancient traditions. Chimneys were watched for smoke after nightfall on Fridays, and people who did not eat pork were likely to hear from the Inquisition.

Spain annexed the Canarios in the late 1300's, and Canarios were also suspected of being insincere Christians. many were deported to Hispaniola (especially MonteCristi), mostly for being rebellious. The public eating of pigs was seen as a sign one was a good Christian and not a marrano (as Jewish renegados were called).

The other reason is that roast pork, ham, and pork sausage are all delicious. The Sandwich Cubano is made of both roast pork and ham, along with cheese, pickles, mayo and occasionally shoestring potatoes.

In Venezuela, capybaras (Hyrdrochoerus hyrdrochaeris) also called cig?ere and carpincho are a favorite for Semana Santa, since early settlers got the Vatican to declare this large rodent to be a fish, and therefore exempt from the ban on eating meat during Lent. Venezuela is running out of these, and they are importing the meat from Bolivia.

Turkeys are traditional in the US because it was closest to the British traditional holiday meal, which was goose. Turkeys were wild could be hunted, while you had to raise a goose or buy it. People were unlikely to give a free goose away. At least not the edible sort of goose.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I agree that fresh is definitely the way to go, and it should be a hen. Those big Toms are just tough and dry.

But my real favorite, if it's a small group, is a capon. Fresh of course.