Pigs stink up a major Dominican airport

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Maria,

May I ask you a personal question? Why do you live in a place you seem to dislike so much? Why don't you return to California your post were so much happier when you lived there. DR is not for everyone, being born there doesn't guarantee that you will be happy there; with all due respect you seem miserable. I don't mean to be mean just making observations.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
I was born here raised at the crossroad by cruz de I\esalguez. Return here I find that most changes been for the worse Population has grown out its limits to land that is useful, yet those that create the problems, have not mature enough to take responsibility for their action . I*t is true that platanos seed creates Simple Simmon Sydrome. This iws the twenty-first Century, get with the program, catch-up is almost imposible to do, since the education system is not up to the rest of the world. Dominican have embraced the Cell Phone, and a few the internet, but are still dragging their nuckes, lke a cabe-man.

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
I was born here raised at the crossroad by cruz de I\esalguez. Return here I find that most changes been for the worse Population has grown out its limits to land that is useful, yet those that create the problems, have not mature enough to take responsibility for their action . I*t is true that platanos seed creates Simple Simmon Sydrome. This iws the twenty-first Century, get with the program, catch-up is almost imposible to do, since the education system is not up to the rest of the world. Dominican have embraced the Cell Phone, and a few the internet, but are still dragging their nuckes, lke a cabe-man.

Jesus a christ, what was that

:bandit:

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Maria,
My question still stands, why do you live in a place you dislike and has nothing positive to offer you? Unlike many Dominicans who are born in DR you have a choice. Maybe you should look for a place that offers the quality of life you are seeking. As we can all see here, DR is not it. Sometimes Dominicans that leave at an early age suffer from what I like to call “Utopia memory”; this is a condition where the life in our memory is not what we encounter. We hold on to the magical memories of our childhood and refuse to see that times have passed. Did you return to DR hoping to encounter the DR of your childhood? It is seldom found. That is why many of Dominican born chose to live abroad even when they have the means to return. Perhaps this is why you feel so let down.

Sorry Alex didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Is the airport administration doing anything to improve the situation?

Sep 19, 2005
You know I think there is a development going in where the pig farm used to be...or at least very close by....

ther eis no smell any more..... they do have cows nearby still....but they dont cause the stink the pigs did.

in the 2 years i have been coming down i have seen many many improvements in that area..... the road is nice both ways out of the airport, not just toward route 1.

there is a new Marriot close by!!!

teh hospital is very close to being finnished.. and the big Hotel while doesnt seem to have chnaged much in the last 6 months..is pretty clsoe to being finnished

they are doing road widening from Licey to Santiago.
they have new lights at most traffis stops now...with timers showing how much time is left.

the police all have new vehicles....

bob

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Pigs

Back on track Pigs stink up a major Dominican airport
slide0013_image022.jpg

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=17734

What did you expect? You built an airport on farm land. Duh!!!

I have experienced this before at the airport - the foul smell of pig $hit. I have an aunt that lives in Licey not too far from the airport. I rarely visit her because there is a pig farm right behind her house. She has had that house for over 50 years. I love her to death but that smell gets me sick and that's why I don't visit her as often.

That's not pig's foul reeking...
The odors are the result of the big jumbo jets releasing their safety fuel off right before landing to lighten the plane as much as possible before hitting the tarmac.

They are required to do this action only after getting permission from the CT and some miles before even coming close to the actual airport strip area, but this is the DR and rules are, well you know, rules aren't...

The actual odor is the result of the fuel dissipating into a fine mist as it mixes with cold air at rush speeds. Some of the fuel that fails to mist into the air impregnates the area below and takes a day or two to vaporize with the action of the temperatures and sunlight.

Jet fuel reeks worst than household heating oil, thus the resulting "pig sty" like smell reported...

Sep 19, 2005
That's not pig's foul reeking...
The odors are the result of the big jumbo jets releasing their safety fuel off right before landing to lighten the plane as much as possible before hitting the tarmac.

They are required to do this action only after getting permission from the CT and some miles before even coming close to the actual airport strip area, but this is the DR and rules are, well you know, rules aren't...

The actual odor is the result of the fuel dissipating into a fine mist as it mixes with cold air at rush speeds. Some of the fuel that fails to mist into the air impregnates the area below and takes a day or two to vaporize with the action of the temperatures and sunlight.

Jet fuel reeks worst than household heating oil, thus the resulting "pig sty" like smell reported...

this is so much BS..it is almost useless to even make a reply to.

first, if they let off fuel before they landed why would the dammm airport smell??? the smell would be miles away where they released the fuel!!!!

secondly is there ANY cold air above the DR????? they are pretty low when they get over land in the dr.....and at that altitutde.. they isnt any cold air?? that theory is up in smoke as well.

and when does jet fuel smell like pig scit??

some people!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
this is so much BS..it is almost useless to even make a reply to.

first, if they let off fuel before they landed why would the dammm airport smell??? the smell would be miles away where they released the fuel!!!!

secondly is there ANY cold air above the DR????? they are pretty low when they get over land in the dr.....and at that altitutde.. they isnt any cold air?? that theory is up in smoke as well.

and when does jet fuel smell like pig scit??

some people!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Ask anybody with a little more knowledge on this issue before you expose your ignorant rants to all...

To try and make you look like a bona-fide "I didn't know that!" jack:

The rules as posted in my initial reply means that Jets that require dumping excess fuel before a landing must get permission from the CT miles out from the LS. Second, they shouldn't dump near or in the vicinity of the airport as to avoid flare ups by the exhaust of incoming traffic behind catching' up with some heavy mist cloud. Third, they DO this all the time in all major airports around the world mainly due to the delay from busy hours to tropical weather patterns. The extra fuel or safety fuel is to be used to operate the aircraft should a scenario like the above plays out. Most airlines turn to that to save on tires and landing gear excess tear and wear, not solely because of bad weather or etc...

The cold air reference means the air that rushes by as the Jet uses their flaps to control descend at the high rate of speed they do the approach and final landing into the tarmac below. The cold air is present due to the aerodynamics of the plane is colder as in lower temp than the air that's hitting the airframe with high degrees of friction and thus creating a higher temp on the stream...

Am I going too technical for you here?

JFK one of the busier airports in the east coast, is de facto a dumping ground for jet fuel in the bay some miles off the strip, the same "odors" are present from time to time to the residents of the local communities there (myself one) ever since they built the first home at such closeness to it.

It all has to do with air speed, temp, barometric pressure and a host of other factors too many to list and frankly, I don't care to explain in any more detail if you get my meaning...

So, unless you have ever taken a sniff at some Jet fuel or at the very least a tad of JP5, don't say that it doesn't stink just like a pigsty...

BTW: My family owns a "Finca" in Santiago, where we still keep pigs around and to the best of my sorry for my nose recollection: Pigsties don't even come close to Jet fuel in reeking about foul odor...

:tired:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
well JFK has up to 100 take departures a day...so if they have as many landings as take offs they have 100 landings a day...so if the planes were dumping fuel as you say, all of long island and queens and westchjester county with the thousands of million dollar homes would be covered in jet fuel....and with the american epa alone, not even considering the hordes of enviromentalist groups...they wouldnt get away with it. plus with the cost of fuel...

I dont doubt that on rare occasions they will dump fuel, if they are having mechanical issues with the plane prior to landing.. and they would do it out at sea...not over "the bay" which if you have ever flown over...should know is so loaded with housing, that you cant throw a dart with out hitting one!!!

so back to the thread...the stink ( that used to be prevelant) at STI is not was not from JET FUEL being dumped...as you suggested.

if you have been by the airport at any time during the last year you would know the pigs and thier stink have gone

but of course that doesnt mean I am still not ignorant..does it? ha ha ha

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
well JFK has up to 100 take departures a day...so if they have as many landings as take offs they have 100 landings a day...so if the planes were dumping fuel as you say, all of long island and queens and westchjester county with the thousands of million dollar homes would be covered in jet fuel....and with the american epa alone, not even considering the hordes of enviromentalist groups...they wouldnt get away with it. plus with the cost of fuel...

I dont doubt that on rare occasions they will dump fuel, if they are having mechanical issues with the plane prior to landing.. and they would do it out at sea...not over "the bay" which if you have ever flown over...should know is so loaded with housing, that you cant throw a dart with out hitting one!!!

so back to the thread...the stink ( that used to be prevelant) at STI is not was not from JET FUEL being dumped...as you suggested.

if you have been by the airport at any time during the last year you would know the pigs and thier stink have gone

but of course that doesnt mean I am still not ignorant..does it? ha ha ha

Now, now, don?t confuse Jet fuel with "Oil", not the same chemistry...
Jet fuel is abundant over the perimeter of all major (and small too) commercial airports. The fuel as explained has a very stable ignition temp unlike other types of fuels used on other commercial type vehicles (not planes).
As such, Jet Fuel WILL come apart (become a mist then a vapor) from a fluid to a gas in a quick reaction to being exposed to a high lower temp air stream, like the one caused by air planes.

It's a known fact that Jets tend to lose some fuel to this same qualities of the combustible liquid. Some big tanks on Jets compensate by cooling the tanks to the optimal temp that the fuel requires to stay in that particular condition.

The practices of dumping fuel from commercial aircraft prior to final approach to the LS, requires that a good reason be given by the pilots to the CT, then a go ahead is given and a precise altitude is requested to have maximum effect to ratio of fuel to be dumped.

Like I said before, in the DR rules are quite common anything but rules...

The other point is that: Yes! Untold amounts of Jet Fuel are DUMPED nearby major airports all over the world all the time!

The impact to the surrounding area is quite minimal and almost insignificant, hence why environmental agencies don't follow as "major" cases these occurrences.

Like I said before too, I happen to live in a hood' very affected from time to time to this quality of air issues, when the altitude and speed (etc...) don't comply with the fuel dumped and we know the rest...

Jet fuel and greens are not so cozy of one another; therefore the odor that reeks when the fuel fails to mist and vaporize completely "becomes" a pigsty kind of smell.

The corrections done by the airport traffic controllers and administration must likely are the reason no more constant "Pigsty" odors break outs continue to be the norm, not the quick and desist of actual pigsties owners...

Airports don't publish when and how many times fuel is dumped in or around their facilities, so not to get the public on their necks claiming some ill effect on their health...
:bored:

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
I'm amaze they allow this to be publish on the net!!!!
And on a 767 of all planes....
Nice find and post my friend!

Questions.....
What is the problem with it being a 767????
LS CT??? What the heck is that????? dont tell me that means Landing Strip and Control Tower!!!!

Also, in my humble opinion you are a bit confused on the fuel dumping issue... you have some facts which are true.... but fuel dumping is done when it is necessary, and it is not necessary for a NORMAL operation on any aircraft. Also IT IS NOT the reason for the stink at STI.

Fuel dumping from aircraft is done for only one reason....... To land an aircraft you MUST land BELOW its Maximum Landing Weight (MLW) if you are over it and are about to land.... dump fuel if the aircraft permits... if not Burn fuel for the time you need to, just like that Jetblue Flight did in California years past (A320 DOES NOT dump fuel)

Regards

STIOP

Jan 5, 2006
Just one simple question... If the odor is due to fuel being dumped, why is the odor then not present at POP, SDQ or PUJ? The airports are in the same country (same disregard for the law) and have similar weather conditions, yet, I've never sensed a similar smell to the one at STI. :confused:

The only time that I've personally heard of an airplane dumping/burning fuel was the incident that STIOP pointed out, when a Jetblue plane with landing gear problems needed to be "lightened" prior to landing. At least that was what was stated by "experts" on tv as most of the country watched.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Questions.....
What is the problem with it being a 767????
LS CT??? What the heck is that????? dont tell me that means Landing Strip and Control Tower!!!!Yes and Yes!

Also, in my humble opinion you are a bit confused on the fuel dumping issue... you have some facts which are true.... but fuel dumping is done when it is necessary, and it is not necessary for a NORMAL operation on any aircraft. Also IT IS NOT the reason for the stink at STI. Fuel dumping happen in rare occasions with newer aircraft due to their capability of weight capacity, yet most airports happen to have fuel dumping procedures quite often due to critical changes in wind speed and landing strip conditions affected by rapidly moving weather systems. They tend to have airliners with full passenger capacity dump fuel to avoid long deacceleration distances for the heavy aircrafts to maneuver with better control and displacement. And I'm not the very least confused about anything here, you're the one reading industry provided data off the net, I get my data from actual in service pilots and air traffic controllers

Fuel dumping from aircraft is done for only one reason....... To land an aircraft you MUST land BELOW its Maximum Landing Weight (MLW) if you are over it and are about to land.... dump fuel if the aircraft permits... if not Burn fuel for the time you need to, just like that Jetblue Flight did in California years past (A320 DOES NOT dump fuel)Most newer Jets are quite capable of landing under severe conditions as their weight capacity is very improved over those older airliners, but you must take under account that 65 to 70% of current commercial aircraft in use all over the world don't fall into that particular category. The A320 is mentioned here because???

Regards

STIOP

My regards to you too...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Just one simple question... If the odor is due to fuel being dumped, why is the odor then not present at POP, SDQ or PUJ? The airports are in the same country (same disregard for the law) and have similar weather conditions, yet, I've never sensed a similar smell to the one at STI. :confused:

The only time that I've personally heard of an airplane dumping/burning fuel was the incident that STIOP pointed out, when a Jetblue plane with landing gear problems needed to be "lightened" prior to landing. At least that was what was stated by "experts" on tv as most of the country watched.

I don't know if you noticed before but POP, SDQ, or PUJ are airpoprts with Sea approach unlike STI which sits in the middle of the valley with mountains all around the horizon...
In the case of that Jetblue aircraft, it might be that the aircraft was a newer model and was not fitted with the nozels to dump the fuel safely, thus it blasted the engines until it burned enough fuel for a limited weight landing.

Jan 5, 2006
It still doesn't make sense. If the fuel is released and it turns into mist several miles from the airport; in STI's case, let's say the Villa Gonzalez area for argument's sake, why is there no smell anywhere in between the release point and STI? How does the fuel and its smell end up settling directly over STI and not anywhere else in the planes' path between the fuel release point and the airport? And why does the air not carry the smell to the other aforementioned airports if the same airborne "misting" action is occurring when fuel is released prior to landing there?