Pigs stink up a major Dominican airport

Sep 19, 2005
Hipolito my man...you are chasing your tail.....he is on a mission.

we all know it is preposterous to think that jets dumping fuel WAS ......

the cause of the stink at STI.

the pigs are gone and so is the stink

and the mystery should follow! ha ha ha

bob

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Congratulations

My regards to you too...

i wont get into an argument with you my friend...........
LS and CT are very aeronautical terms and your percentages for aircraft that have or dont have fuel dumping nozzles is spot on....

More regards to you

STIOP

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
It still doesn't make sense. If the fuel is released and it turns into mist several miles from the airport; in STI's case, let's say the Villa Gonzalez area for argument's sake, why is there no smell anywhere in between the release point and STI? How does the fuel and its smell end up settling directly over STI and not anywhere else in the planes' path between the fuel release point and the airport? And why does the air not carry the smell to the other aforementioned airports if the same airborne "misting" action is occurring when fuel is released prior to landing there?

Because pilots are well known to skirt regulations when it serves them well, as in the case of the Aeronautic Administration of the DR being most lenient with them.

Pilots know that the more time they take dumping the fuel the more risk of flare ups abounds, but if you use your flaps accordingly the turmoil jetties will be vastly more effective to evaporate more fuel in less time. As this takes place when the Jet is on final approach to the landing strip the last bursts of fuel don't evaporate as effectively as they should due to wind speed and temperature, so the droplets end up right close to that area surrounding the airport for the most part.

And to be honest I'm quite tire of having to tell two grown ups that "rules" are not always followed when it comes to commercial airliners.
If you knew 1/10th of what I know happens in the air traffic controller?s rooms you would never fly again!

Oh wait! Wasn't that a military jet just now over in the air? And it's carrying some duds under the wings!........ Later turns out our "Boyz" were transporting "Nuclear" tipped war heads on the missiles... "Sorry!" a little slip of rules...

And you reeeeeeaaaaaally think commercial transportation is any safer because of the rules in place????? LOL!!!!!!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
i wont get into an argument with you my friend...........
LS and CT are very aeronautical terms and your percentages for aircraft that have or dont have fuel dumping nozzles is spot on....

More regards to you

STIOP

I used LS and CT to save my fingers from having to type the obvious, but terms are not even close to simple first letters like I used.
Some airports have designations that identify the Control Tower even by their location in the States and most International aeronautical regions use them too.

I know NY is ZNY where one of my buddies works (and sleeps) and that the main control tower is referred to as ATCT, but that term would had meant that I had to explain further, so I used TC and LS, the latter which is not used in technical other than for boarding and such by ground crews. The term they use I believe is RY or RMY and also ERY for the runways (landing strips).

But what do I know! I only have some friends that explain these things to me that only work in that industry...

TOWER, PICHARDO 809 READY FOR TAKE OFF!
TOWER, PICHARDO 809 DID YOU COPY LAST?
TOWER, PICHARDO 809 HERE DO YOU COPY??????

Sep 19, 2005
dont accuse me of being a grown up..i am a YOUNG whipper snapper!

listen Pichardo, we dont deny that those things you mention HAPPEN....we just totally agree to the number of incidences.

do the jet fighters carry live nuclear warheads EVERY DAY for that last 30 years?...NO

but we can all say..."it happens"..

and some like your self will use that term way to liberally when it suits them.

so no one has denied fuel gets dumped.

we certainly doubted the stink came from the fuel.

have you smelt the stink at STI in the last 12 months?

no one else has either...so either the stink was from the pigs like most people thought and is now gone with the pigs someplace....

or all the pilots got worried about you catching onto to their scam... and all stopped dumping fuel at STI.

more power to all the watch dog groups that protect the enviroment for us and are dilligent to make us aware of what big buisness does to save a buck here and ther.
but it behooves us to take that info carfeully because of the overzelousness of some of said groups.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I owned an aviation business for many years. One thing for sure: Jet A/kerosine smells nothing like pig crap.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I owned an aviation business for many years. One thing for sure: Jet A/kerosine smells nothing like pig crap.

Not when you have it sitting on a can, but as soon as you release some atop some nice green foliage it becomes just that!

Try it...

BTW: Since you owned an aviation biz for many years, did you know that only the US uses Jet A fuel as most international fleets use Jet A-1 which we use here in the DR????

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
And believe me! Once you work with fuels you're the last person to be asked how is the smell, since just like garbage truck workers, you become used to the "aroma".

For those of you ready to jump in: Go the nearest service station and buy a quater gal of unleaded gas, open the gas can and take a puff at it, now multiply that 50 times and that's how Jet A-1 smells. I won't even tell you about JP-5...

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
The term they use I believe is RY or RMY and also ERY for the runways (landing strips).

But what do I know! I only have some friends that explain these things to me that only work in that industry...

I rest my case:ermm:....... BOB i`ll follow your advise!!!!

it's RWY........

keep listening to your friends i have no doubt they know what they are talking about... you.... I doubt.........

And for the OP sakes.... Pigs stink up a major Dominican airport
YES THEY DID!!!!! the smell has gone down dramaticaly..... Its still stinks a bit in the early morning though...

Cheers!!!
STIOP

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The term they use I believe is RY or RMY and also ERY for the runways (landing strips).

I rest my case:ermm:....... BOB i`ll follow your advise!!!!

it's RWY........

keep listening to your friends i have no doubt they know what they are talking about... you.... I doubt.........

And for the OP sakes.... Pigs stink up a major Dominican airport
YES THEY DID!!!!! the smell has gone down dramaticaly..... Its still stinks a bit in the early morning though...

Cheers!!!
STIOP

Yes Indeed!!! That's why I'm where I'm today (penniless and ignorant) LOL!!!!

BTW: It's not RMY but RWY, WOW!! A typo. But it's clear you went to all stops to blast me there!!!! Myself I couldn't care less on your opinion about it since you're set on thinking that a few pigs can stink up an airport!!!! LOL!!!!

Since you believe this so much, then don't go and try to use a matchstick near a herd of cows (methane gas)... Since you're a believer of the powerful force of animal odors extending for miles and miles and miles... LOML!!!

Sep 19, 2005
Pichardo..I dont want to berate you...even if I dissagree with something you say...but you might not realize this, but I am pretty sure that STIOP...actually WORKS at STI airport.

think about that.

wouldnt you think that someone who works there would have a well based opinion and good information...

I am going out on a limb and saying his nose might work normally...

my gf and her uncles raised some pigs....I used to post about her PIG buisness as sideline joke often...so i know the smells myself...but even better, is that down the road just a little from where she lives is a farm with a thousand pigs...and it smells up the AREA around the farm pretty bad on stagnant days

so if the farms near the airport had LOTS of pigs it could have done the same thing.

have a nice day

bob

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
BOB thanks......

going into my fourth year at STI.. love every minute of serving our travelers and airlines.....

This is my last post on this thread i think BOB as a user of STI and me as an employee for the last 4 years can agree on what we have exposed on this thread......

Regards

STIOP

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Not when you have it sitting on a can, but as soon as you release some atop some nice green foliage it becomes just that!

Try it...

BTW: Since you owned an aviation biz for many years, did you know that only the US uses Jet A fuel as most international fleets use Jet A-1 which we use here in the DR????
Close to being the same thing, a higher freeze point is all (I recall 7 degrees C higher) When folks wanted A-1 in the summer, we added Prist. It came "with" in winter months. The higher freeze point wasn't a big deal in FL.

I never liked the smell on my hands. Never put it on foliage.

May 5, 2007
PICHARDO,If your theory were true

Out of interest; Where have you smelled JP-5?

Rather than answer all of your posts PICHARDO, I consolidated my answers here

First; if the fuel dumping were as prevalent as you allege, the aircraft following in line would be constantly suffering one of two problems: Complete failure due to compressor ingestion of jet fuel instead of air, or one hell of an "afterburner" effect if the fuel got into the hot combustion chamber.

"Some" aircraft, and generally only "heavy" aircraft are equipped with fuel dumps (Excluding military where many tactical also can dump, especially Naval Variants) for the sole purpose of meeting max allowed landing weight when forced to return shortly after takeoff and are heavy with fuel

How many carriers do you believe "dump" $10-20,000.00 dollars of fuel on a routine basis when that means writing off 40 or so paying seats?

You also mention some of the fuel lands on the ground and evaporates: so easy to check, just look for all the dead plant life, jet Fuel is not a good fertilizer.

It was also mentioned that STI was the only airport that suffered do to an inland approach: first, why wouldn't the PIC dump over the ocean where he was about 10 minutes previously? Second, why don't cities like Denver and Mexico City smell like pigs? They are far more susceptible to trapped air currents

The ONLY time dumping would be considered would be if there was a chance of structural (Not routine replacement items such a brakes) damage from overweight

Do you also believe in "Chem trails?"

Ask anybody with a little more knowledge on this issue before you expose your ignorant rants to all...

To try and make you look like a bona-fide "I didn't know that!" jack:

The rules as posted in my initial reply means that Jets that require dumping excess fuel before a landing must get permission from the CT miles out from the LS. Second, they shouldn't dump near or in the vicinity of the airport as to avoid flare ups by the exhaust of incoming traffic behind catching' up with some heavy mist cloud. Third, they DO this all the time in all major airports around the world mainly due to the delay from busy hours to tropical weather patterns. The extra fuel or safety fuel is to be used to operate the aircraft should a scenario like the above plays out. Most airlines turn to that to save on tires and landing gear excess tear and wear, not solely because of bad weather or etc...

The cold air reference means the air that rushes by as the Jet uses their flaps to control descend at the high rate of speed they do the approach and final landing into the tarmac below. The cold air is present due to the aerodynamics of the plane is colder as in lower temp than the air that's hitting the airframe with high degrees of friction and thus creating a higher temp on the stream...

Am I going too technical for you here?

JFK one of the busier airports in the east coast, is de facto a dumping ground for jet fuel in the bay some miles off the strip, the same "odors" are present from time to time to the residents of the local communities there (myself one) ever since they built the first home at such closeness to it.

It all has to do with air speed, temp, barometric pressure and a host of other factors too many to list and frankly, I don't care to explain in any more detail if you get my meaning...

So, unless you have ever taken a sniff at some Jet fuel or at the very least a tad of JP5, don't say that it doesn't stink just like a pigsty...

BTW: My family owns a "Finca" in Santiago, where we still keep pigs around and to the best of my sorry for my nose recollection: Pigsties don't even come close to Jet fuel in reeking about foul odor...

:tired:

I don't understand you comments. Jet a and Jet A-1 are near identical, Jet A having a slightly higher freeze point, slightly more kerosene

Why you would you even mention JP 5 in relation to a civilian Airport is mystifying as it is used exclusively aboard carriers due to the higher flash points, and yes it smells very bad from additives

A Navy plane fueled in an emergency by an Air Force Tanker with JP-8, is prohibited from being stowed below decks in the hangar until the entire plane has been gutted, tanks cleaned and so forth

Did you possibly mean JP-8 used by the Air Force which is almost identical to your Jet A-1 with addition of de-icer, anti corrosives and so forth?

The only fuel mentioned at a Civilian Airport which might have a strong odor would be JP 8 due to increased additives and "greasy" feel, and I haven?t seen many USAF planes landing at STI, especially dumping fuel as any heavy US transports will land with heavy loads due to very heavy construction

Maybe you have a bunch of Raptors at STI?

From PICHARDO>>>
"Oh wait! Wasn't that a military jet just now over in the air? And it's carrying some duds under the wings!........ Later turns out our "Boyz" were transporting "Nuclear" tipped war heads on the missiles... "Sorry!" a little slip of rules...<<<<

If you are referring to that one out of 10,000 flight where the Big Ugly Fat Fuc* overflew the US with 6 cruise missiles, they screwed up, were either discharged or demoted and I believe criminal charges are pending

The USAF hasn't carried live Nuclear missiles or bombs since the 60's on training runs, there was zero possibility of a nuclear explosion but there was a real possibility of radiation being spread (Actually a very small amount in the tips of cruise missiles) but that would have necessitated the 52 crashing, the containers in the warheads that are designed to withstand the crash splitting open, it could have but?

Too technical for me? Not at all, Too far retched and filled with Internet "knowledge," certainly

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I can't logically imagine an airliner having to dump fuel before landing @ STI. I don't know of another reason besides weight in excess of landing weight. They come from a long way away, and airlines do a LOT of fuel planning, load planning, etc.

Fuel is very expensive, and I doubt airlines would ever routinely considering dumping it.

Additionally, as speculation, if fuel is dropped from a large aircraft doing 200kts at a decent altitude (say, above 5000' MSL which would give safe-and legal-clearance above the mountains on approach) the wake turbulance and vortices created would pretty much vaporize the fuel and scatter it all over the place. Unless the plane is circling around the airport at low altitude, going fairly slow (which STILL creates significant wake turbulence), I don't know how the fuel can get on the farms around the airport, and NOT on all the vehicles and people coming and going. There would be NO DOUBT it was fuel in that scenario.

Ockams Razor: the smell of pigs around the airport came from pigs; the lack of pig smell is because the pigs are gone.

Jan 5, 2006
the smell of pigs around the airport came from pigs; the lack of pig smell is because the pigs are gone.
This is obvious to anyone who has traveled through STI on a frequent basis during the last few years. As it is also obvious that the person arguing this fact is an "armchair expert"; if we can call it that. :bored:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Out of interest; Where have you smelled JP-5?

Rather than answer all of your posts PICHARDO, I consolidated my answers here

First; if the fuel dumping were as prevalent as you allege, the aircraft following in line would be constantly suffering one of two problems: Complete failure due to compressor ingestion of jet fuel instead of air, or one hell of an "afterburner" effect if the fuel got into the hot combustion chamber.

"Some" aircraft, and generally only "heavy" aircraft are equipped with fuel dumps (Excluding military where many tactical also can dump, especially Naval Variants) for the sole purpose of meeting max allowed landing weight when forced to return shortly after takeoff and are heavy with fuel

How many carriers do you believe "dump" $10-20,000.00 dollars of fuel on a routine basis when that means writing off 40 or so paying seats?

You also mention some of the fuel lands on the ground and evaporates: so easy to check, just look for all the dead plant life, jet Fuel is not a good fertilizer.

It was also mentioned that STI was the only airport that suffered do to an inland approach: first, why wouldn't the PIC dump over the ocean where he was about 10 minutes previously? Second, why don't cities like Denver and Mexico City smell like pigs? They are far more susceptible to trapped air currents

The ONLY time dumping would be considered would be if there was a chance of structural (Not routine replacement items such a brakes) damage from overweight

Do you also believe in "Chem trails?"

I don't understand you comments. Jet a and Jet A-1 are near identical, Jet A having a slightly higher freeze point, slightly more kerosene

Why you would you even mention JP 5 in relation to a civilian Airport is mystifying as it is used exclusively aboard carriers due to the higher flash points, and yes it smells very bad from additives

A Navy plane fueled in an emergency by an Air Force Tanker with JP-8, is prohibited from being stowed below decks in the hangar until the entire plane has been gutted, tanks cleaned and so forth

Did you possibly mean JP-8 used by the Air Force which is almost identical to your Jet A-1 with addition of de-icer, anti corrosives and so forth?

The only fuel mentioned at a Civilian Airport which might have a strong odor would be JP 8 due to increased additives and "greasy" feel, and I haven’t seen many USAF planes landing at STI, especially dumping fuel as any heavy US transports will land with heavy loads due to very heavy construction

Maybe you have a bunch of Raptors at STI?

From PICHARDO>>>
"Oh wait! Wasn't that a military jet just now over in the air? And it's carrying some duds under the wings!........ Later turns out our "Boyz" were transporting "Nuclear" tipped war heads on the missiles... "Sorry!" a little slip of rules...<<<<

If you are referring to that one out of 10,000 flight where the Big Ugly Fat Fuc* overflew the US with 6 cruise missiles, they screwed up, were either discharged or demoted and I believe criminal charges are pending

The USAF hasn't carried live Nuclear missiles or bombs since the 60's on training runs, there was zero possibility of a nuclear explosion but there was a real possibility of radiation being spread (Actually a very small amount in the tips of cruise missiles) but that would have necessitated the 52 crashing, the containers in the warheads that are designed to withstand the crash splitting open, it could have but?

Too technical for me? Not at all, Too far retched and filled with Internet "knowledge," certainly

To try an answer as best as possible:

Fuel Dumping is NOT carried out at the same altitude and/or heading as the AC makes the approach via the corridor to the LS as you noted above, as such, the following aircraft are NOT in the direct heading as the AC that just performed the procedure; otherwise a likely scenario like the one you described is a distinct possibility.

Also the AC to dump the fuel must be at a minimum altitude and related speed parameters to have the fuel mist into a vapor as quickly as possible into the air, since the more time it takes in that maneuver, the more likely something going wrong could happen.

Fuel dumping "nozzles" were required for all AC above a certain capacity in both commercial and non-commercial version (this includes their military variant). The advent of better power lifting capacity to dead weight ratios in the industry have rendered this "safety" device obsolete but not a thing of the past, as newer AC have been known to have used the same procedure via maxing of engines to burn fuel fast, even as they were able to land within the secure parameters of their capabilities.

So far to my personal knowledge at least 1 to 2 fuel dumping occur every week in the US alone, data concerning overseas operations are not easy to come by, but a ratio of 5 to 1 can be used as the latter represents the majority of the percentage of older AC in use today.

Yes that is so true! Jet fuel wrecks havoc with greens, as my post noted and can be easy to spot from the air (via a helicopter) on the surrounds of the airports. Most airports nowadays use certain materials and natural alternatives to counter this effect.

The reason the odor extended more around the area of STI was simply the unprofessional attitude that marred STI for a long time, until the DR used the safety recommendations and placed strict guidelines to all airports in the DR. This had the end effect of allowing the DR to enjoy the rights to fly national based carriers to the US as it was again certify by the competent agencies.

The other reason of why they didn't dump the fuel over the sea as it was only minutes as you well know, it's due to the angle of descent that aircraft have to stick to in order to clear the mountain ranges that encircle STI and the final approach is tight as many pilots have observed on their routes there. So it was rather easier for them to call a Dump procedure from the STI ATC close to the airport than to try and dump over the open sea were they had to get clearance from their last controller under FAA regulations...

Fuel Dumping happens for untold reasons, none of which can be said to be listed as rigid rule on a book. It's the final decision of the CT to allow the procedure to go ahead, not the FAA at any point. And the biggest factor being the pilots, who happen to have the chips at their favor when it comes to calling a need to follow the procedure.

At this point in time I believe in many things that before were considered taboo!!!

Jet-A and Jet-A1 are not identical at all! They're base on the same point of origin but that’s were all similarities end. The higher coefficient of flash and freeze points are just some of the properties that jump at you, but not one single chemist would allow you to just say that they're the same!

I wish I had some raptors in my garage, but no cigar! LOL!!

As a matter of fact JP8 IS available in the DR!!! Some US aircraft that participate in the operations in the Caribbean’s Southern Command do land on occasion in the DR and use the JP8...

I'm not only referring to that single instance but to the many times active warheads (conventional) have been flown within our civilian air space and over populated cities. Rules have been overlooked for a long time in many of our deep south bases for a long time. The Pentagon commission looking into it has admitted that the unregulated aerial transportation of sensitive war material was breeched on numerous occasions and that the Nuclear tipped warheads was just the icing on the cake. Not only have heads rolled since the exposure of the missile crisis but, entire wings have been demoted at 7 bases nation wide. So far the probe continues even with over sea’s stations on the eye of the commission too.

The USAF and other special wings of the US armed forces ARE currently using active nuclear war heads in the several active and passive "theaters" as we speak. That they don't use them for exclusive training drills is an understatement, as crews are in actual combat patrol and no drills are the standing orders. We're capable of launching in minutes a either full retaliatory or pre-empty nuclear strike anywhere to anybody.

Not ever since the 60's have so much combined nuclear power (as they're many times more powerful that those of that era) been active in actual combat patrol by the US armed forces than ever before.

For your knowledge: I know that even if the AC had crashed with it's payload it wouldn't have committed us to a nuclear holocaust, but the ramifications of such event would have been a detriment to our free mobility over home air space at any given time. That's the reason full (as in what could be say out of all) disclosure was the only smart way to deal with it.

I smelled JP5 and many others that can't be described or at liberty to say, but as my duties with one of my former companies (as an employee) took me to military bases from time to time, I came to know JP5 quickly and surely.
I'd seen more aircraft than many retired or in service US armed forces pilots would ever get to see in person...

BTW: I even got the opportunity of enjoying a tasteful meal cooked using JP5! Now, have you????
:glasses:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I can't logically imagine an airliner having to dump fuel before landing @ STI. I don't know of another reason besides weight in excess of landing weight. They come from a long way away, and airlines do a LOT of fuel planning, load planning, etc.

Fuel is very expensive, and I doubt airlines would ever routinely considering dumping it.

Additionally, as speculation, if fuel is dropped from a large aircraft doing 200kts at a decent altitude (say, above 5000' MSL which would give safe-and legal-clearance above the mountains on approach) the wake turbulance and vortices created would pretty much vaporize the fuel and scatter it all over the place. Unless the plane is circling around the airport at low altitude, going fairly slow (which STILL creates significant wake turbulence), I don't know how the fuel can get on the farms around the airport, and NOT on all the vehicles and people coming and going. There would be NO DOUBT it was fuel in that scenario.

Ockams Razor: the smell of pigs around the airport came from pigs; the lack of pig smell is because the pigs are gone.

Wind speed is NOT the only needed factor to get that much fuel to evaporate as quickly as possible, but others too.
The temp in the jet stream that forms on the wake of a Jet is not your normal temp of the displaced air on the corridor, but also friction comes into play. There're certain parameters that are required if not mandated to make a fuel dumping procedure a success.

I'm not an aeronautical engineer, neither have I ever witness such myself while sitting on the particular AC under the procedure, but I have seen it from the ground in several occasions, one of which was in proximity of an air base.

I stand by my posted opinion on the matter; I'm not an employee of any airport, airliner, etc... I was educated by a friend who's an ATC at the ZNY and he was the person who game the facts on the occurrences on the civil and commercial aviation to his "knowledge" which by the way is some 12 years.

I stand corrected unless you know something I don't!

:ninja:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
This is obvious to anyone who has traveled through STI on a frequent basis during the last few years. As it is also obvious that the person arguing this fact is an "armchair expert"; if we can call it that. :bored:

Do some diggin' and see that the odor was more likely gone around the time the DR was implementing the required modifications and set of regulations to get the certification for the aeronautical administration of the DR...

Just a hint...:paranoid: