Playero Sosua...bad experience

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
yeah and grumpy customers complaining about inferior products and inflated prices hey?

jeez get a life......

If you are good with that, by all means continue to give them your business. We all have to make our own decisions based upon our own experiences.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
there would soon be more people complaining if they lowered their prices and went bust!

Everyone's an expert!

And believe me, 'complainers' do NOT change the world.

True. They are in a tourist town and can get away with it as long as there are enough tourists.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Playero keeps expanding so they must be doing something right !

Stop complaining or try a more expensive Island because the DR is the cheapest in the Caribbean.

You people chose the DR because you cannot afford to go elsewhere , yet you complain about prices !

Thailand and Cambodia will cost you less but there is no Playero.....

No more responding to backpackers for me... !

Did you find this place from hostels world wide?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Playero keeps expanding so they must be doing something right !

Stop complaining or try a more expensive Island because the DR is the cheapest in the Caribbean.

You people chose the DR because you cannot afford to go elsewhere , yet you complain about prices !

Thailand and Cambodia will cost you less but there is no Playero.....

No more responding to backpackers for me... !

Did you find this place from hostels world wide?

Sounds like you have an interest in Playero.. We are saying we get HIGHER quality products from La Sirena, Nacional, Plaza Lama, and other supermarkets for BETTER prices, and BETTER customer service, with FULLY functioning reward programs. I want other people to make informed decisions on where they spend their money and stop supporting businesses that aren't up to a certain standard. It could be the cheapest island in the WORLD but I would still expect a certain standard based on what I was SPENDING.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Sounds like you have an interest in Playero.. We are saying we get HIGHER quality products from La Sirena, Nacional, Plaza Lama, and other supermarkets for BETTER prices, and BETTER customer service, with FULLY functioning reward programs. I want other people to make informed decisions on where they spend their money and stop supporting businesses that aren't up to a certain standard. It could be the cheapest island in the WORLD but I would still expect a certain standard based on what I was SPENDING.

I go to la sirena for the prime rib but when you factor in the travel costs for gasoline etc it'all relative because their prime rib is not prime it's select....which is the cheapest cut available and that's why I fly and buy from the cow itself.

Their rewards expire quickly but Playero rewards 3% redeemable any time...you will not win this post !

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I go to la sirena for the prime rib but when you factor in the travel costs for gasoline etc it'all relative because their prime rib is not prime it's select....which is the cheapest cut available and that's why I fly and buy from the cow itself.

Their rewards expire quickly but Playero rewards 3% redeemable any time...you will not win this post !

10$ in gas to go to puerto plata for SUPERIOR product, at a BETTER price, that doesn't use unfair practices towards local produce providers, says I already won this post. As long as people get to read this thread and form their own opinion about this SHAM of a supermarket I am happy. When La Sirena comes to Sosua it will be gone anyways since it has absolutely no local support. Their entire client base is filled with naive tourists and people that need to make emergency purchases.. Folks, if you have a car, drive to La Sirena in POP and do your pocketbook and the local economy a favor!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
10$ in gas to go to puerto plata for SUPERIOR product, at a BETTER price, that doesn't use unfair practices towards local produce providers, says I already won this post. As long as people get to read this thread and form their own opinion about this SHAM of a supermarket I am happy. When La Sirena comes to Sosua it will be gone anyways since it has absolutely no local support. Their entire client base is filled with naive tourists and people that need to make emergency purchases.. Folks, if you have a car, drive to La Sirena in POP and do your pocketbook and the local economy a favor!

LOL...you should be in politics but it's too late for that !

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
Leave everything on the counter and tell them if they don't quit with the boolshyt, you're gonna walk out, not buy anything and never come to the store again.

One bad experience doesn't make it a bad grocery store. Also, it certainly doesn't speak for generally doing business with dominicans store owners or exployees.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
SM Owners

The problem with Playero is that it is Dominican owned and Dominican run. Enough said..............

Hmm, would this not be the case with most supermarkets in the country?

[Well, Lindo in LT is foreign owned, as far as I know...]

donP

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Not bashing Playeros I use them in fact I shopped there yesterday but what happened to the OP happened to me once and also I get tired of the security mean mugging me and following me around while I have a full shopping cart ! Then I see crackhead looking people walking around in the shop and the security does not even bother them. Funny one time I was shopping there i caught a security job opening some lotion and using it when he thought no one was looking LOL. Other wise I will shop at Playeros some things are more exspensive but I prefer Janets closer to me things are a bit cheaper the people know me do not get treated like a criminal and the staff are really helpful. My pet peeve with Playero is I seem to find the same security person following me around the supermarket I always tell my wife when we go there I have never stols a anything in my life and I used to spend alot of money at Playeros!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have found the veggies are cheaper at La Sirena especially on Wednesdays (33% off day on veggies and fruid) and when you factor in that you can hand pick your produce and not have to buy a package where three items are good and one is rotten. Prices on most things are also cheaper. Overall I figure I save over 10% everytime i go to PP to shop. This more then pays for the gas and a much more pleasant atmosphere.

Now for customer service, Playero has no idea. However for customer service ALL places will have a far distance to go to match what goes on at Nacional (sp?). Over 2 months ago we bought 4 bags of dog food in the Santiago store. When we got home to Sosua all bags were infested with bugs. I wrote them and they responed both by email and phone asking me to stop in the next time I was in Santiago no matter when that was. So last week we were Santiago and stopped by the store. They were again so sorry for the inconvience and with out a reciept or the product they refunded me the entire purchase price ($1700RD) with a smile. Way to go!

Bob K

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
You had a little irritating experience. ... S..T happens. A year back the packer or I missed to chickens I purchased . got back to Cabarete ,and noticed called and they Confirmed they had them . THEY told me had to come back that day or out of luck ! There was a torrential storm going on , sh.t, I went back and got my peaceful chickens . PLAYERO IS NOT. Perfect , nor am I , ARE YOU?. They are a good business to retail customers , have no idea about wholesale or businesses .

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hell of a shopper

... all bags were infested with bugs.... they refunded me the entire purchase price ($1700RD) with a smile.

So, you even got the protein enhanced variety free! :classic:
Maybe you can get me a few bags..... :rolleyes:

donP

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dddavid, since you say you gladly would have paid if they had told you the child broke something, I take it that it was the way in which you were told that was so upsetting.

I am amazed at some of the statements made by long-time posters. To say Playero has no interest in customer relations is to ignore things that were done by the owners after there was a previous discussion on this board. Products that were requested have been added to the inventory, lists of new arrivals are posted, etc.

As most of you know, I am friends of the owners and always send them the link to threads about the store. I also post any comments they make after reading the thread.

An example was very recently when complaints were made about the price of chicken and they responded to say that because many customers wanted bigger chicken breasts they were importing them from the US and thus the higher price. However, they said, local chicken breasts were available in the frozen food section and the price per pound for them was considerably less than the price of the imported chicken breasts.

They will be the first to say that sometimes employees act in a way that raises questions about that, so getting these threads is helpful to them, as it would be to any store owner. I don't believe there is a store anywhere in the world that has a lot of employees that doesn'thave customers complaining about the way they were treated.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed Ken - we had a big discussion and compiled a "wish list" , most of which came to fruition.

I even know where to find the horseradish now (thats akin to Mike's lemons for me = Bloody Mary's)

They were very responsive.

There are two sides to every story......

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I noticed that a few people posting their thoughts havent actually set foot here for over two years, things have changed quite a bit in that time at playero

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I noticed that a few people posting their thoughts havent actually set foot here for over two years, things have changed quite a bit in that time at playero

I agree, they never used to chase you around the store to collect $2 for a something that fell off the shelf.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I also avoid this supermarket at ALL costs, take the 15min drive to Puerto Plata La Sirena if at all possible. This company is overppriced and also rips off local produce vendors with funny tactics. There is rumor of a Sirena in the works in Sosua and this has all of us ecstatic.

You must be a race car driver...