Police Action In Sosua, Cabarete, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
When many on the board talk about the good old days, they are talking about the past year or two.

For me, like you, SosuaCitizen2, the good days were well before that. And like you I hope we get some of that back.

I am amused when I read many of the posts because it seems like the complainers see only two options: wide open with only bars and prostitutes to bring income to the town, or a bunch of old fogies tottering around. In other words, the extremes.

I think Sosua can be a balanced tourist town, with something for almost everyone. Prostitutes have a place in my vision of Sosua, but they should be in a area where those who want them can find them, not propositioning clients on the main street during the day and early evening hours.

Those who want only bars and whores are mostly tourist-types, even if they come here frequently. They ignore people like us, Ciitizen2, who live here and contribute much more to Sosua than they do. We spend a lot of money here to buy or rent a place to live, to pay operating and maintenance expenses, our frequent trips to the supermarkets and farmacias. the wages we pay to those we hire to work full or part-time for us, and taxes. This is our, town, too, even more so than the occasional visitors who come for the night life.

Most of us who make our home here don't like what has happened to Sosua in recent years. Hopefully, we are starting to see the return of Sosua to being a balanced tourist town.

Nicely done Ken.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Those ISOC guys spend a lot of money. Without them, Sosua would be just a bus stop between Puerto Plata and Nagua.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Those ISOC guys spend a lot of money. Without them, Sosua would be just a bus stop between Puerto Plata and Nagua.

Bulldingleberries. Not true. they do spend money - but the others also spend money. Whore mongers spend money on drink food and whores. Others buy homes, rent apartments long term, buy furniture, vehicles, food all the time, drink, go out to restaurants.

They do NOT have the exclusivity on spending money. And how many more (myself included) would go to Sosua for dinner and drinks if I was not going to be accosted by whores????

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Bulldingleberries. Not true. they do spend money - but the others also spend money. Whore mongers spend money on drink food and whores. Others buy homes, rent apartments long term, buy furniture, vehicles, food all the time, drink, go out to restaurants.

They do NOT have the exclusivity on spending money. And how many more (myself included) would go to Sosua for dinner and drinks if I was not going to be accosted by whores????

You can go out to dinner any day of the week without being accosted. Most of the people posting sh*t have probably never been out in the evening.I don't have a problem with any of the bars or discos. I've been out alone, with my wife, with my friends, my children and my grand children. Even my 21 year old grand daughter got a kick out of Sosua's night life. I enjoy Sosua the way it is. Maybe it would be nice if it was a little less aggresive but what the heck. Love it or leave it.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
At least the Dominican police implemented this program during the low tourist season...I tend to agree with what others said that by trying to eliminate prostitution and the collateral jobs it provides -- and with no other work to replace it -- will cause MORE crime I believe.

Remember the Dominican Republic has no social safety nets for its people: no unemployment benefits, no welfare, no food stamps, no social security...you either find something to do where you can make money or you starve.....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
----or do what you can to help change it.
Your right. I lived here when you could walk the street day or night without fear. I skinny dipped on the beaches at 4 AM. I slept with my door unlocked and the windows wide open. I had friends in La Piedra (The Cops don't even dare going in there now). I didn't even have a door on the bar. Those were the good old days. Believe me it could be a lot worse. 15 years ago you couldn't even leave your home in some cities in Costa Rica after 6 PM. All things considered Sosua is not all that bad. Raiding bars, arresting people for no reason is not the solution. It appears that the DR tourism officials have a lot to learn.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
All I can say is cleaning up Sosua is a good idea, But to try to eliminate the sex tourism totally is the kiss of death..Please, oh please tell me how Sosua can be a booming family destination when 5 star resorts in POP are not even at 50%..or even 25%...

Wake up you dreamers.not gonna happen..All you people living in your dream retirement condos and houses will all be begging for the hookers to return when all those people out of jobs are looking for other sources of income..CRIME..It surely will increase..and then we will see how good your quality of life is in your future little ghost town..now dont get me wrong, there had to be some kind of clean up in Sosua, but the things that are going on now is just keeping people away..

I dont need to or want to chase hookers, but i always enjoyed a few days in Sosua..but there is no way i am going to leave Santiago too go to a place where the Millitary is going to conduct raids at a bar I may be drinking at with friends..just not worth the risk..

And i am living proof. i have not been to Sosua in about 8 months and have no plans to visit soon...just not worth the hassle..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If this is the future of Sosua, how many folks living there are considering leaving?

Are the mongers bailing for better opportunities?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Certain people will not want to hear this but they are now moving to Bavaro. Some of you will know we spent a short period in Bavaro before deciding we needed a little more to life, but I was shocked that after living in Sosua for over 2 years I found there to be more working girls in Bavaro more easily to come by and all the signs I saw in Sosua when I first moved to the country. 6 years or so ago in sosua is pretty much the traffic in Bavaro now, only spread out and so not noticable as much.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Are the mongers bailing for better opportunities?

There are no better opportunities anywhere in the Caribbean or Central/South America for guys who don't speak Spanish or Portuguese, not for the prices and accommodations on offer in the DR. Any other location will require too much time and money.

Brazil and/or Argentina? Too far. The airfare alone will kill you, even during off-peak months. That's aside from the fact that spending so much time on an airplane would be enough to drive anyone insane. Colombia? It's reputation from 20 years ago still resonates among the ignorant.

It's too easy to fall into a rut in Sosua, which is why guys love going there. You don't need to learn the language and the chicas are just as lazy as some of the mongers. You don't have to walk far for any one thing (including the beach) and many bar/restaurant owners speak English.

These guys are going to have a hard time going anywhere else if they are forced to leave, but there will be other destinations that will make mongers feel welcome before they are given the bum's rush completely off the island.

Money is money regardless of how it's earned, and the DR can ill-afford to cast this segment of the tourist population out. There is no Plan B to replace these tourist dollars, meager as some may think this amount is.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Berzin. Why Don't I Believe you.

I don't know why. Only time will tell. So far no one knows what's going on in Sosua and more importantly, why and even more important than either is what the end game is.

People have stated Sosua should become more family-oriented. Well, fumigating the chicas and hence the mongers is a start, but so far nothing has been mentioned that will be implemented to take the place of the pay-for-play scene.

No one even seems to know who is ordering these crackdowns. Is it the military? The mayor? The President?

eldanes

Apr 6, 2011
And do tell me what year was it when "the good days were here in Sosua?"

Sky, I think he means aprox. 25 years ago. I base that assumption on that I was in Sosua back in 1993 and I had plenty of whores at that time in fact more than I had just 1 month ago.

What I do wonder is; what is campo in English? I mean it is English - is it not? "Pues", the rest of the post is in English so I assume campo is a English word but I can't find it in The consise Oxford dictionary.

Oh! I understand.... I am one of "These pathetic degenerates who are seemingly unable to obtain female companionship without exploiting poor, ignorant girls from the campo" .... I see, I am one of these cheesy old men who goes to undeveloped countries to shag poor girls and he/she just threw a Spanish "palabra" into the post.

Pues, sr./sra. residente dejar hacer el populaci?n local hablar si somos asquerosos y unos abusadores de chicas. Por favor abstenerse de comentarios est?pidos como este ya que Vosotros seguramente compraba su inmueble sabiendo perfectamente que iba ser Sosua ahora, que era en su d?a. Si no lo supieron eso es porque no hab?an hecho su pre-investigaci?n antes de comprase su inmueble e en tal caso asi "duermen como han hecho su cama".
Por cierto tratar hablar el castellano en vez echarse unas palabras por ah? en un texto. Muestra que verdaderamente sois asimilados en el sociedad Dominicano.

De ante mano/Before hand

Cierra el pico/shut your face

Eldanes

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I imagine a few people decided sex sells when Columbus Landed....so its been going on for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.