POP to Jarabacoa and Jarabacoa to Sosua

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
$139 US so even more CDN. Will check out cost of Uber I guess and what the hotel can suggest. Maybe a cab from La Vega?
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Please keep in mind Uber may or may NOT be available upon arrival.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One more tip.

Caribe Tour, or even better Javilla Tour to Santiago.

A) If Caribe Tour, you go to the second stop in Santiago (Los Jardines) and then get an Uber to the Quinto Patio bus depot on Sabana Larga (RD$75.00) or taxi (RD$150) and there you get a smaller bus direct to Jarabacoa.

B) If Javilla, then ask to get off at the corner of Sabana Larga and walk up a block or two (against traffic) to the Quinto Patio bus depot...

This is certainly the least expensive and easiest way to go.

Note: If you were to take a Caribe Tour to La Vega, you would need to ask to be let off at the Jarabacoa Crossroads (Cruce de Jarabacoa) and then flag down a bus going up to Jarabacoa.

Hope this helps,

HB

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...I am traveling to puerto Plata from Santiago tomorrow....I use a Uber driver that is off the clock... he charges me 1900 pesos...that includes all the places I want to visit ,and people I want to pick up..... nice sonata, good a/c...best way I have found....he drops me at the hotel at Playa Dorado........Doc......

TexasGirl2Dr

Jun 18, 2017
...I am traveling to puerto Plata from Santiago tomorrow....I use a Uber driver that is off the clock... he charges me 1900 pesos...that includes all the places I want to visit ,and people I want to pick up..... nice sonata, good a/c...best way I have found....he drops me at the hotel at Playa Dorado........Doc......

I might need his info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Driving ourselves is not an option. Car hire perhaps? Any sort of shuttle service offered where you can share with other passengers?

Ride sharing can only be set up if you find the other people to share the fare. Not done as part of a business plan here. Hiring a car would be very expensive to do that trip. Taking a taxi would be very expensive.

Caribe Tours and then a connection in La Vega is how a local would do it.

Uber sounds like the option you would like best.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Using Uber????????????

Using Uber has been mentioned several times but the way i see it there are two BIG What Ifs?

First one needs to be concerned if there will be an Uber vehicle available. Second and just as important what if the Uber vehicle available declines to accept the request due to the distance and time of day. That is a long haul round trip from POP to Jarabacoa and the return leg would be at night. Myself no way would i arrive expecting to depend on Uber and not have at least one back up plan in place.

Caribe Tours to La Vega and a connection once there doesn't sound too bad.

Caribe Tours and being dropped off at the intersection for Jarabacoa was also mentioned. I have second thoughts on this because the OP arrival time at this juncture would be just about time it is getting dark. I doubt i would want to be fumbling around in the dark trying to find a ride up the mountain for my final leg to Jarabacoa.

If it were me i would just bite the bullet and setup a transfer service. To save a few bucks and have some adventure i would save the Caribe Tours excursion for the return leg of Jarabacoa to Sosua which would be quite easy.

I have quite a bit of experience using Uber and i know for a fact sometimes Uber just isn't available......

@ the OP, how many people are traveling and how much luggage will you have to haul around?

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
bigbird there will be one person traveling from POP to Jarabacoa with carry-on luggage. Jarabacoa to Sosua (and Cabarete) 2 people with carry-on type luggage.

Transfer service meaning the airport service that was mentioned?

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Ride sharing can only be set up if you find the other people to share the fare. Not done as part of a business plan here. Hiring a car would be very expensive to do that trip. Taking a taxi would be very expensive.

Caribe Tours and then a connection in La Vega is how a local would do it.

Uber sounds like the option you would like best.

So Caribe tours then Uber from La Vega might be good idea then.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017

Doc anyway I could get your drivers info?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
bigbird there will be one person traveling from POP to Jarabacoa with carry-on luggage. Jarabacoa to Sosua (and Cabarete) 2 people with carry-on type luggage.

Transfer service meaning the airport service that was mentioned?

So Caribe tours then Uber from La Vega might be good idea then.

Since just one person maybe the transfer service is not a good idea because you won't be able to split the cost.

There is no Uber service in La Vega at the Caribe Tours bus depot. You would have to negotiate a price with a local taxi.

Also keep in mind Caribe Tours does NOT pickup at the airport. You either have to go to Sosua or the city of Puerto Plata to get to a bus depot. Sosua would be going in the wrong direction so you would double back on the bus but Sosua is closer. The Puerto Plata bus depot is a thirty minute taxi ride but going in the direction of Jarabacoa.

Uber online gives a fare estimate of 3,600 pesos if available. Quite naturally this would be the easiest option but I just wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.

I am guessing you are a single female traveler who speaks little or no Spanish. If correct my major concern and one you should have also is to be in a vehicle and heading up the mountain before it gets dark.

143ov3d.jpg

Last edited:

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
The Puerto Plata bus depot is a thirty minute taxi ride but going in the direction of Jarabacoa.

Uber online gives a fare estimate of 3,600 pesos if available. Quite naturally this would be the easiest option but I just wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.

I am guessing you are a single female traveler who speaks little or no Spanish. If correct my major concern and one you should have also is to be in a vehicle and heading up the mountain before it gets dark.

143ov3d.jpg

The extra 30 minutes is a lot to add onto the long journey. So I think the best is Uber hopefully or pay the pricey transfer for one person.
Thanks!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The extra 30 minutes is a lot to add onto the long journey. So I think the best is Uber hopefully or pay the pricey transfer for one person.
Thanks!

I think the pricey transfer is worth it. Last thing you want to do is arrive and everything start to go wrong. Trust me, you don't want to be shuffling back and forth on buses and taxi as nightfall starts to arrive. Even the pricey transfer is a good two and a half hour drive with the last half hour going up a small winding road climbing the mountain. Once you arrive in Jarabacoa you will love it. Jarabacoa is my second favorite city in la rep dom, after Santo Domingo.

Enjoy.......

Hopefully someone who has actually used Uber at POP airport will chime in about the availability.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Once you arrive in Jarabacoa you will love it. Jarabacoa is my second favorite city in la rep dom, after Santo Domingo.

Enjoy.......

Hopefully someone who has actually used Uber at POP airport will chime in about the availability.

Thanks. Hoping to get to Santo Domingo for a few days too! Another trip to figure out.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks. Hoping to get to Santo Domingo for a few days too! Another trip to figure out.

If this is a lengthy vacation i would go to Santo Domingo from Jarabacoa then head to Sosua from SD. Jarabacoa to Santo Domingo direct with one stop in La Vega on Caribe Tours. Instead of Caribe Tours i would use Metro bus Santo Domingo to Sosua.