POP to Jarabacoa and Jarabacoa to Sosua

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
If this is a lengthy vacation i would go to Santo Domingo from Jarabacoa then head to Sosua from SD. Jarabacoa to Santo Domingo direct with one stop in La Vega on Caribe Tours. Instead of Caribe Tours i would use Metro bus Santo Domingo to Sosua.

It is a 10 day stay for one of us and the other is living in Jarabacoa.Was just looking into arriving in Punta Cana and meeting in Santo Domingo for the weekend then heading back to Jarabacoa for part of the week before heading to Sosua/Cabarete. Says it would be approximately 2 hours drive but the bus says 3 hours and have to get to the bus. Santo Domingo airport is not an option since need to go with WestJet from Canada.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........Was just looking into arriving in Punta Cana and meeting in Santo Domingo for the weekend then heading back to Jarabacoa for part of the week before heading to Sosua/Cabarete......................

Stick with your original plan. Fly into POP, get to Jarabacoa. You and your friend can go do a weekend in Santo Domingo. From there either go back to Jarabacoa or go directly to Sosua. Don't complicate matters flying into Punta Cana.

I take it Santiago airport (STI) is not an option?

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Stick with your original plan. Fly into POP, get to Jarabacoa. You and your friend can go do a weekend in Santo Domingo. From there either go back to Jarabacoa or go directly to Sosua. Don't complicate matters flying into Punta Cana.

I take it Santiago airport (STI) is not an option?

Yes I think original plan seems to be the best. WestJet does not fly to Santiago. Get a deal with the airline. And it would take 3 flights plus layovers!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear DeeB:

When I first answered your plea for some routing advice, I thought that you were already in Puerto Plata. I did not click on the use of POP as being the airport.

You must be aware that, unless you have someone coming to pick you up, you are at the mercy of the axxhole taxi syndicate that "owns" the right to move passengers out of the airport.??

Once you deal with them, THEN is when my routing advice comes into play.,,sorry about that.

Uber as an alternative is fine but you will pay a lot and nobody to share the costs with....

The very best and cheapest route for you is to get to Santiago and Quinto Patio Bus Depot and get a direct bus to Jarabacoa. It is that simple. Anything else will cost you dearly. From Jarabacoa, there are "probably" some little buses that will take you and your friend to Santo Domingo.

If your departure back to Canada is from POP, then you can get direct buses in Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata and then Uber to the airport.

I wish you well, and have a pleasant time.

HB

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Dear DeeB:

Uber as an alternative is fine but you will pay a lot and nobody to share the costs with....

The very best and cheapest route for you is to get to Santiago and Quinto Patio Bus Depot and get a direct bus to Jarabacoa. It is that simple. Anything else will cost you dearly. From Jarabacoa, there are "probably" some little buses that will take you and your friend to Santo Domingo.

HB

I was thinking if could not get Uber then the airport transit that was mentioned. Understand a big cost but taxi to bus and then not making the last bus in la vega to Jarabacoa so another taxi sounds like a long challenging trip. So will have to pay the penalty. Do you think Uber would be more than the Airport transfer of $139 US?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I was thinking if could not get Uber then ...............

I don't intend to scare you but please remember so far not a single person has said they have used Uber at POP airport. I certainly would want to know is Uber really available at POP and if so did anyone have problems getting Uber to do a long trip like you need.

Please don't fly into la rep dom thinking Uber is going to save your day. Yes, I honestly wish everything would work well with Uber but don't chance it.

I recently flew into STI (Santiago) on a Sunday and only two Uber vehicles were available.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
I don't intend to scare you but please remember so far not a single person has said they have used Uber at POP airport. I certainly would want to know is Uber really available at POP and if so did anyone have problems getting Uber to do a long trip like you need.

Please don't fly into la rep dom thinking Uber is going to save your day. Yes, I honestly wish everything would work well with Uber but don't chance it.

I recently flew into STI (Santiago) on a Sunday and only two Uber vehicles were available.

Thanks! I do have the airport transport to rely on right? Do you know if you have to book that ahead?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks! I do have the airport transport to rely on right? Do you know if you have to book that ahead?

That' the catch 22, most airport transfers need to be booked for and paid for in advance.

It's up to you, but you can fly in with good intentions Uber will work out but please make sure you have a backup plan ready to use.

You will arrive with a working cell phone and data?

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
That' the catch 22, most airport transfers need to be booked for and paid for in advance.

It's up to you, but you can fly in with good intentions Uber will work out but please make sure you have a backup plan ready to use.

You will arrive with a working cell phone and data?

Wifi only. Think should just book it then. Can cut back in other ways. Should be able to figure it out on the website?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Wifi only. Think should just book it then. Can cut back in other ways. Should be able to figure it out on the website?

Latest rumor POP has free Wi-Fi, can't say if it does or does not.

You don't need to book the transfer service until a few days before your flight. Who knows, maybe you will get more info here. JMTransfers does say you can book and as long as you cancel 24 hours in advance there is no charge.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Latest rumor POP has free Wi-Fi, can't say if it does or does not.

You don't need to book the transfer service until a few days before your flight. Who knows, maybe you will get more info here. JMTransfers does say you can book and as long as you cancel 24 hours in advance there is no charge.

Good to know. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh where are Paloma and JJ ??? They provided hundreds of good folks with the best of service.

I take it that DeeB is a novice?

What time does your plane get into POP?? I have not seen that on any of the previous posts. Maybe I missed it.

You seem to be wary of missing the "last" bus to La Vega or Jarabacoa....Let me repeat myself: "You do not have to go into La Vega"....

Oh well...I kinda wonder....

HB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Oh where are Paloma and JJ ??? They provided hundreds of good folks with the best of service.

What time does your plane get into POP?? I have not seen that on any of the previous posts. Maybe I missed it.

You seem to be wary of missing the "last" bus to La Vega or Jarabacoa....Let me repeat myself: "You do not have to go into La Vega"....

HB

As always HB, you nailed it..........

If I am not mistaken her flight lands at 2:15 PM. That is where my concern is. A few glitches here and there she is fumbling around in the dark trying to get transportation up the mountain.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017

HB

Flight gets in at 2:15. Yes it was mentioned that may not have time to get the 6:00 bus.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
DeeB; just get a taxi to Sosua, book a room and enjoy the bars/restaurants and the beach, ask your honey to come over and have a great time together. If you fancy a trip to Jarabacoa, you can go there later for a day or two trip (not much to see or do more than that), without luggage or hassle and with the company of a local who knows the way. Take it easy and have a good holiday, why so much hassle....