Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen will open its first restaurant in the DR sometime this 2023. The Dominican company Caleya got the rights for developing the brand in the country. The same company manages all the Burger King, Papa John's, Krispy Kreme, Palacio del Cine, and Orange Theory Fitness in the country.

They haven't made public the exact date of the grand opening of the first restaurant or if it will be in Santo Domingo. While most foreign brands open first in Santo Domingo, other places such as Santiago are known to have been the places where the foreign brand open its first Dominican store/restaurant.

As of right now, the closest Popeye to the DR is in Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.

I think though not entirely sure, Popeye is an African American business. I don't think many businesses owned by black Americans enter the DR market.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Popeye Louisiana Kitchen will open its first restaurant in the DR sometime this 2023. The Dominican company Celaya got the rights for developing the brand in the country. The same company manages all the Burger King, Papa John's, Krispy Kreme, Palacio del Cine, and Orange Theory Fitness in the country.

They haven't made public the exact date of the grand opening of the first restaursnt or if it will be in Santo Domingo. While most foreign brands open first in Santo Domingo, other places such as Santiago are known to have been the places where the foreign brand open its first Dominican store/restaurant.

As of right now, the closest Popeye to the DR is in Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.

I think though not entirely sure, Popeye is an African American business. I don't think many businesses owned by black Americans enter the DR market.
Nope - Al Copeland - a white man from New Orleans started it

Jan 9, 2004

……And is currently owned by Restaurant Brands International, a Canadian company, that also owns Tim Hortons and Burger King and has been a decent stock to own over the past year (QSR ticker symbol).

Someone is stepping up to the plate here in the DR as they will be going head to head with all the local pollo competition as well as the well entrenched KFC.

Decent chicken……better than KFC.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: AlaPlaya

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
……And is currently owned by Restaurant Brands International, a Canadian company, that also owns Tim Hortons and Burger King and has been a decent stock to own over the past year (QSR ticker symbol).

Someone is stepping up to the plate here in the DR as they will be going head to head with all the local pollo competition as well as the well entrenched KFC.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I can not eat KFC, so they could not be worse

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Oh baby, can chic-fil-a be far behind? That would be the end of me.

As far as Popeyes is concerned, I hope they run the place here the same as in the states. There's no shortage of successful businesses that have been tried here and went under.

Reactions: Facepalm Supreme
Jan 9, 2004
Oh baby, can chic-fil-a be far behind? That would be the end of me.

As far as Popeyes is concerned, I hope they run the place here the same as in the states. There's no shortage of successful businesses that have been tried here and went under.
Everything is dependent on the financial strength and background of the franchisee as to whether they can competently run and compete...........

And whether there is enough acceptance/support of their food by the locals.

As you allude to, there is no shortage of franchises, especially food, that have come in with a bang...................then quickly went bust.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Had the pleasure of meeting "Big Al" on more than one occasion back in the
early 2000's. Hell of a fella. He passed away in Munich 2008 after long battle
with some rare type of cancer. His legacy lives on forever.
Popeyes is one of the few things I've been missing ever since moving down here.
Every time I go to FL I'm eating their spicy chicken w/ mash potatoes and a biscuit
within the first 24 hours. This is fantastic news. Will travel for Popeyes. I can't wait.

Reactions: AlaninDR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Had the pleasure of meeting "Big Al" on more than one occasion back in the
early 2000's. Hell of a fella. He passed away in Munich 2008 after long battle
with some rare type of cancer. His legacy lives on forever.
Popeyes is one of the few things I've been missing ever since moving down here.
Every time I go to FL I'm eating their spicy chicken w/ mash potatoes and a biscuit
within the first 24 hours. This is fantastic news. Will travel for Popeyes. I can't wait.

Okay, I’m convinced now that I have to try it. A Popeyes opened literally across the road from KFC (in southern NJ) about 5 years ago and I’ve never stopped.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Popeyes is pretty good (good sides), as JD posted hopefully it will be run the same or similar to the US locations. Now I would be really excited for a Canes to open.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I haven't had Popeye's in a long time, but it is far better than KFC, and pica pollo chicken here is not even a close comparison. They used to have the best, fresh, batter fried onion rings I've ever had anywhere.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Popeyes used to be good , was a big Fan .. Not any more , and their Prices are ridiculous ..and they cheat you on quantity now .
I would not eat it here , nor in the DR.. their Sides are a Joke , they design the container to minimize the side dish , and then to top it off they openly admit to using some kind of a Portion SCOOP , NOT filling the container .. so in other words you can get a HALF Filled container of Cole slaw or Mashed potatoes .
That was the last straw for me ..
that is just beyond Shameful . they can keep it all .
Every time we drive by the one near me , we laugh at them .. maximum of 2 cars at the Drive through , and 2 more cars in the Park lot ,, and thats on a Friday night or even Lunch time . Meanwhile Chic Fil A has a line snaking around the Parking lot and then some ..
there is a Reason for that .

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I guess it depends on location? The 2 Popeyes by us are always crowded. I still like their sides though. Chick-fil-a is also crowded. Most Dominicans I know do not like spicy, so I wonder about Popeyes chicken as it is somewhat spicy. Jollibee for me is better, but I doubt there would ever be a franchise in DR.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My last meal was the day before I flew back down in November. Spot on. Side was more than a scoop, chicken was juicy, busuit buttered and the iced tea was sweet as can be.
Location, location, location.

Reactions: keepcoming
Jan 9, 2004
Popeyes used to be good , was a big Fan .. Not any more , and their Prices are ridiculous ..and they cheat you on quantity now .
I would not eat it here , nor in the DR.. their Sides are a Joke , they design the container to minimize the side dish , and then to top it off they openly admit to using some kind of a Portion SCOOP , NOT filling the container .. so in other words you can get a HALF Filled container of Cole slaw or Mashed potatoes .
That was the last straw for me ..
that is just beyond Shameful . they can keep it all .
Every time we drive by the one near me , we laugh at them .. maximum of 2 cars at the Drive through , and 2 more cars in the Park lot ,, and thats on a Friday night or even Lunch time . Meanwhile Chic Fil A has a line snaking around the Parking lot and then some ..
there is a Reason for that
Their year over year numbers, both earnings and revenues were outstanding. They have added huge value to the parent company Restaurant Brands International's portfolio of Burger King, Tim Hortons and recently Firehouse Subs.

Stock has been a 20% winner in the last year, in an otherwise sideways to down market.

Perhaps the franchisee in your area, or the one you visited, is not up to standards.........which is also part of the reason so many franchises fail in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Maybe, finally, a bit of heat in the DR. My Popeyes is spectacular to this day. My go to chicken place.

Reactions: keepcoming

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Interesting comparison of a Dominican couple between Popeyes in San Juan, Puerto Rico and Popeyes in Santo Domingo. Video posted a fewdays ago. Despite Popeyes DR open in October 2023, she says the SD on Churchill one still gets long lines.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Interesting comparison of a Dominican couple between Popeyes in San Juan, Puerto Rico and Popeyes in Santo Domingo. Video posted a fewdays ago. Despite Popeyes DR open in October 2023, she says the SD on Churchill one still gets long lines.

Dominicans loves their American franchise restaurants