Presidential candidate debate is 24 April 2024

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Debate-Presidencial-ANJE-Diario-Libre-1024x576.png

President Luis Abinader will be the first sitting President to participate in a debate with opposition candidates on the evening of Wednesday, 24 April 2024. President Luis Abinader seeks to be reelected. For more than 30 years, the National Young Entrepreneurs Association (Anje) had sought to organize the debate. One of the participants, Leonel Fernandez had rejected to participate when invited when in office. He confirmed his participation this time after Abinader accepted to participate in the debate.

An economist and businessman before reaching the Presidency in 2020, 56-year old Abinader seeks to be reelected for his first time. He enters into the debate with over 20 points above his main contender, three-term Leonel Fernandez. 70-year old Fernandez is known as a sage politician and very talented public speaker. In the 2024 presidential election, he is running...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
A presidential debate on the anniversary of the start of the Dominican Civil War, or as we call it, la revolución de abril.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Hard to believe Leonel has any support after everything he's done to the country. People have short memory indeed.
He most definitely has his supporters. Whether he should be running is another matter. As we talked about in another thread, he is very intelligent. I am sure that he could use that better in the private arena rather than the political arena.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We watched the debate last night. I was impressed with the decorum. Mr AE commented how different it was from USA debates, with the lack of sniping and temper flares. (I think he was disappointed 😂).

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
This was not a Debate, more Accusations from the opposition and the Defends of the actual President with the cherry on the cake Abinader invites Leonel and Abel for Diner... so what do you think, the Debate has changed anything for the elecction in May? I'm sure not much, this will be done in first round.

Reactions: M4kintosh

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This was not a Debate, more Accusations from the opposition and the Defends of the actual President with the cherry on the cake Abinader invites Leonel and Abel for Diner... so what do you think, the Debate has changed anything for the elecction in May? I'm sure not much, this will be done in first round.

My husband said exactly the same thing. I reminded him there are still a lot of illiterate Dominicans who can’t read the paper or the news online, but they glue themselves to the TV and radio. Some of them may have decided who they like best last night.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Agree on this.

Leonel just focused on what he did in the past

Abinader on the things he done and mentioned Covid more than 20 times

Abel was too areal sometimes, but was the only one who sold its campaign program and talked to folks instead to the middle class, but missed loads of chances to confront ideas with Abinader.

Moderators didn't help too.. they were just to make questions, not to help to confront ideas, which is the cherry on the cake on debates

For being a first time for a Presidential debate that includes the president in functions, it was a success. Compared to their pairs in LATAM, politicians in DR generally don't debate and we lack a culture of it, especially on the countryside. Just check how the majority of politicians are with Marino Collante 2 days ago.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wait til next time around. This was an excellent first time for everyone to get their feet wet.

Marino can start packing his bags; his time is up.